GDT: Preseason Game 2: Red Wings vs chicago 9/27/24 7:00 pm et

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Christien

May 1, 2010
I really need someone to explain Danielson being our most prized prospect. I’ve only seen him look good playing against kids in the WHL. Playing with adults he’s a non factor.
Did you not watch him play last preseason? Also, a lot of people were raving about his most recent prospect's tournament in TC, saying he looked NHL-ready.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

Or he can just not drop gloves. Learn from Kronwall. Leave bodies in your wake and smile at them when they lose their shit.

Chia runs around and gets himself into more trouble than he solves by running around. Maatta plays within himself. Positionally Olli is much more sound.

I don't hate Chia. I hate his deployment.
If Maata is on a first line in the NHL, the team is definitely not one competing. It’s a team that’s just starting a rebuild. He is nowhere near a top 4 D in this league on a good team.

Chiarot was arguably one of the best D on the team down the stretch for this team to finish out the year. He’s the guy come playoffs who will shine when the games become more physical.

If you look at the division, most of the teams have a professional face puncher on the team. I rather not have Mo fight or be involved in getting his face punched for not wanting to drop the gloves (which in reality the type of player he is, he will be dropping the gloves…)

But by the looks of it we will have to agree to disagree. I just really think Chiarot is one of the least appreciated players on the team because of a few too many bad plays, which more often then not are with bad players on the ice and him trying to force something out of nothing. Wait until this team makes the playoffs this year or is a least in the hunt again and then tell me Ollie freaking Maata should be on the first line with Mo Seider over Chiarot…..

Again the only potential player suited to be a #2 that’s on this current roster is Ed. Nobody else should qualify for this position and the fact that we are debating it shows how this team still has a while to go before being a contender again.

Reactions: deca guard

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's the one thing about Chiarot, he's just wild. Pinches in some bad spots, luckily it's against nothing amazing but do that against a NHL lineup and Mo is eating a 2on1. It's why shockingly Dekeyser was ok because he knew to just play simple with Mo.

Chiarot trys to pull more weight than he should. Just be a rock.

This has always been his problem as a Wing. He thinks he is a legit top flight defender and that he should be doing heavy lifting when he has the physical/stay at home skill level to be a #5-6 defender. Last season and the year before he almost never passes the puck to Seider unless he is hemmed in and has to get rid of the puck quickly. If he has time he doesn't even look to Seider at all, or better known as the actual skill guy on the pair.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Super early eye test that means nothing right now. But I'd say Kasper looks better than Danny boy at the moment.

Would love to see them both get a look with real NHL linemates.

I think its probably a situation where theyre playing them with lower end guys and the staff are thinking... ok go out there and stand out, drive this line without a lot of help like a good NHLer could. Kasper definitely did that last night, Danielson not so much tonight from what I saw (I missed half the game probably). If they keep standing out for a couple games with "scrubs" it will be ok lets see what you do if we stick you with Tarasenko, Kane, Raymond etc.

I really need someone to explain Danielson being our most prized prospect. I’ve only seen him look good playing against kids in the WHL. Playing with adults he’s a non factor.

Hes played 6 games total against adults and had 1 where he wasnt a major factor. That was tonight, in a game where no one really stood out or did a whole lot. What are you talking about?

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Chiarot is an example of how first impressions can be lasting. Poor first season, but he came back strong last season. I think he was our second best defenseman last season, behind Seider.

Being the 2023 Red Wings second best defensemen doesn’t mean a player is actually that good though.

Chiarot was fine in sheltered minutes. That’s not commiserate with what he’s being paid. If he plays those tough matchups with Seider we are going to get year one Chiarot again.

Reactions: norrisnick

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Being the 2023 Red Wings second best defensemen doesn’t mean a player is actually that good though.

Chiarot was fine in sheltered minutes. That’s not commiserate with what he’s being paid. If he plays those tough matchups with Seider we are going to get year one Chiarot again.
He didn't play sheltered minutes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He's played 6 games total against adults and had 1 where he wasn't a major factor. That was tonight, in a game where no one really stood out or did a whole lot. What are you talking about?
Classic HFB sample size. AA would be proud.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Kasper had a year in Sweden and a year in GR. Danielson needs that expirence too. He will become as effective as Kasper just in a different way

Reactions: lilidk

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
[
Chiarot is an example of how first impressions can be lasting. Poor first season, but he came back strong last season. I think he was our second best defenseman last season, behind Seider.
I think the opposite effect is at play. Chiarot was so bad in his first season that when we gave him 2nd/3rd line competition and he was only bad during those minutes that we all went "my god, this guy is way better than I remember him being" and that thought slowly turned into "maybe Chiarot is good?!" No, he's bad. He just went from historically bad to regularly bad. On top of being bad, he's selfish and refuses to pass the puck to an open teammate. That's fine when he's on a line with other bad players, but put him on their ice with good players and he drags them down. The fact that he can say "I don't adapt to my partners, I just play my game and eventually we gel," and not realize how stupid that makes him sound is baffling to me. Most kids in pee wee have grown out of that.

Reactions: DoMakc

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is also a victim of hatred of vets, which is pretty common on these boards. I know everyone wants to see a team of guys under 25 (unless it is a NHL event I guess) but those teams would get caved over a long season. I thought Chiarot was our second best D-man last year as well. The Chiarot and Seider pairing has struggled at times, but that is true of all of our pairings. I hope they can find a consistency together because we will sorely need it. That Edvinsson does seem to click with Petry is huge as well for how this group gets constructed.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I think wings fans have extremely valid reasons to not be overly in love with the track record of vet dman we have signed so far. I don't think it's really a vet thing since people seem to like the forwards. Besides Copp, but again can you really blame them either?

So yes I'm nervous about Gustafsson, I don't like Chiarot being a staple to our defense that continues to finish in the top 10 of goals allowed, and of course I know a lot of things can go into that. But I do watch the games, and our defense has not been good. I think you can get away having one of Chiarot or Petry in your top four, but not both of them.

Reactions: norrisnick

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
He is also a victim of hatred of vets, which is pretty common on these boards. I know everyone wants to see a team of guys under 25 (unless it is a NHL event I guess) but those teams would get caved over a long season. I thought Chiarot was our second best D-man last year as well. The Chiarot and Seider pairing has struggled at times, but that is true of all of our pairings. I hope they can find a consistency together because we will sorely need it. That Edvinsson does seem to click with Petry is huge as well for how this group gets constructed.

Well that Chiarot-Petry pairing was awful not only because of Petry - i disagree with a notion that Chiarot played good last season. He played less bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad