THN's Top 100 Players Of All-Time By Position (2010)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Very pumped to check this out.

I believe it's part of my subscription, so I should be receiving it any day now. I'll let you guys know when I get it.

Picture from their facebook page:

46290_476349720971_121876660971_6669384_1264079_n.jpg

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I have a feeling this board is going to be a facepalm-fest when this thing is released.

Since it's THN, anyone have any early predictions for players who are going to be significantly over/under rated?

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I suspect they'll throw Crosby and Ovechkin in there, and probably too high based upon what they've actually accomplished as opposed to what they might accomplish.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I suspect they'll throw Crosby and Ovechkin in there, and probably too high based upon what they've actually accomplished as opposed to what they might accomplish.

Those two are a given, especially after THN put Crosby on that "Top 50 since 1967" list (or whatever it was) after 2 seasons.

Besides them, I'm expecting Scott Niedermayer to be ranked way ahead of where he should be.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks for the heads up. I will start controlling my intake of saturated fats and sodium today, to account for the rise in blood pressure this issue will undoubtedly cause.

What craziness are we going to see?

Brodeur over Hasek? probably.
Stevens over Chelios? they did it in the "best since 1967" issue.
Messier over Mikita and Morenz? wouldn't surprise me.
Francis right below guys like Yzerman and Sakic? I give that one 2:1 odds.
for that matter, Yzerman significantly ahead of Sakic? count on it.

I do actually think they'll get the top-4 defensemen of all-time right, but there's 4:1 odds on them putting Lidstrom over Bourque... anyone like those odds?

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I expect everything to be slanted significantly in favor of modern players. Guys like Stevie Y, Sakic, Messier, Forsberg, Crosby, Ovechkin, Robitaille, etc. will be ranked higher than they deserve to be.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Is this "players" or "NHL players"?

They might try to get people talking by listing someone like Tretiak or Kharlamov way too high.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I do actually think they'll get the top-4 defensemen of all-time right, but there's 4:1 odds on them putting Lidstrom over Bourque... anyone like those odds?

Hummm....
Does it means you have Bourque and Lids above Shore?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I'm fully expecting Lidstrom to be picked at #4. In fact, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see him at #3 ahead of Shore. There's a video on their website where they discussed who should be the #2 defenceman and Adam Proteau picked Lidstrom.

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/3250871

They recently posted a video on the best LWs and Proteau noted that one guy he has recently learned a lot about and who may surprise people with his position on the list is... Frank Mahovlich

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
When they say by position, I wonder if it will be:

Forwards, Defenseman, Goaltenders

or

Centers, Left Wingers, Right Wingers, Defenseman, Goaltenders

or

Centers, Wingers, Defenseman, Goaltenders

I'm assuming it'll be the 2nd option?

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the heads up. I will start controlling my intake of saturated fats and sodium today, to account for the rise in blood pressure this issue will undoubtedly cause.

What craziness are we going to see?

Brodeur over Hasek? probably.
Stevens over Chelios? they did it in the "best since 1967" issue.
Messier over Mikita and Morenz? wouldn't surprise me.
Francis right below guys like Yzerman and Sakic? I give that one 2:1 odds.
for that matter, Yzerman significantly ahead of Sakic? count on it.

I'll put my money on Brodeur #1 and Messier over Mikita and Morenz.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If the likes of Adam Proteau were heavily involved, I'd anticipate a strong modern bias. Lidstrom could well be #2 or #3. Niedermayer probably in Brad Park territory, fringe top 10. Ovechkin possibly threatening Ted Lindsay at LW.

The over-simplified process of Cup-counting was the main criticism of their Top 100 list, I wonder how much of that will remain.

It would be nice to see the rankings backed up by some actual research more than anything. As opposed to picks based simply on historical reputation. For example, I'm sure guys like Frank Nighbor will make the top 100 centers, but it will likely just be a token nod at #40 or something. A guy they know should be there, but are too lazy to come up with anything other than "won Cups in the 20's".

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hummm....
Does it means you have Bourque and Lids above Shore?

No. My bad. what I was saying was, I think they will get the top 4 correct (Orr, Harvey, Shore, Bourque) - but I do acknowledge it's possible that they put Lidstrom above one of two of them.

I'm fully expecting Lidstrom to be picked at #4. In fact, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see him at #3 ahead of Shore. There's a video on their website where they discussed who should be the #2 defenceman and Adam Proteau picked Lidstrom.

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/3250871

You scared me.

They recently posted a video on the best LWs and Proteau noted that one guy he has recently learned a lot about and who may surprise people with his position on the list is... Frank Mahovlich

That's not so bad since Mahovlich is arguably the 3rd best NHL LW of all-time after Hull and Lindsay. Actually, it's not just arguable, he almost certainly is. What would raise eyebrows is if he took out Lindsay for #2, and though I don't agree, there's a case.

When they say by position, I wonder if it will be:

Forwards, Defenseman, Goaltenders

or

Centers, Left Wingers, Right Wingers, Defenseman, Goaltenders

or

Centers, Wingers, Defenseman, Goaltenders

I'm assuming it'll be the 2nd option?

I'm actually hoping #3. 100 LWs and 100 RWs would be pretty exhaustive. 100 wingers in total, not so bad.

If the likes of Adam Proteau were heavily involved, I'd anticipate a strong modern bias. Lidstrom could well be #2 or #3. Niedermayer probably in Brad Park territory, fringe top 10. Ovechkin possibly threatening Ted Lindsay at LW.

*barf*

The over-simplified process of Cup-counting was the main criticism of their Top 100 list, I wonder how much of that will remain.

And that was done by a pretty credible panel... who did these lists?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's not so bad since Mahovlich is arguably the 3rd best NHL LW of all-time after Hull and Lindsay. Actually, it's not just arguable, he almost certainly is. What would raise eyebrows is if he took out Lindsay for #2, and though I don't agree, there's a case.

Oh I'm not questioning Mahovlich being rated very highly. I'm mostly amused that Proteau made a point of stating how he had been recently researching Mahovlich and seemed surprised to find out how good he was, and also seemingly expected that not very many people would know this. That alone makes me think that the list will be... poorly constructed.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Oh I'm not questioning Mahovlich being rated very highly. I'm mostly amused that Proteau made a point of stating how he had been recently researching Mahovlich and seemed surprised to find out how good he was, and also seemingly expected that not very many people would know this. That alone makes me think that the list will be... poorly constructed.

The strange thing is, THN's original list had Mahovlich at #24 I believe. Most people in here consider him to be one of the most significantly overrated players on that list. So...is Proteau hinting that Mahovlich was nonetheless underrated? Or, (more likely), he isn't really aware of the first list.

It will be interesting to see where the Big M's Leaf teammate Dave Keon is placed. I could definitely see the Toronto-centric Hockey News buying into the lore and stories their father's told and putting him up there with Messier and Trottier.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I have a subscription to the hockey news, will I get this in the mail included in my subscription or will I have to buy this. i can twait for this to come out. Is this book going to rank the top 100 centers, top 100 left wingers and so on for each pos. That would be 600 players and I doubt the hockey news will put out something that big

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Haha, alright, good point.

I have a subscription to the hockey news, will I get this in the mail included in my subscription or will I have to buy this. i can twait for this to come out. Is this book going to rank the top 100 centers, top 100 left wingers and so on for each pos. That would be 600 players and I doubt the hockey news will put out something that big

This is certainly part of their "the Best of Everything In Hockey" series that they've been putting out for about 8 years now, so yes, it will be part of your subscription. Hopefully with a barf bag for members of this section.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Probably means that I need to hurry up and finish my "top 100 goaltenders" list which I've been working on for four years already.

Or go all the way to #200 just to make it interesting. ;)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This is certainly part of their "the Best of Everything In Hockey" series that they've been putting out for about 8 years now, so yes, it will be part of your subscription. Hopefully with a barf bag for members of this section.

Indeed. This will be the 8th edition.

1. The Best Of Everything In Hockey
2. Great Debates
3. Lighter Side Of Hockey
4. All Access Pass
5. 60 Moments That Changed The Game
6. Greatest Masks Of All-Time
7. Greatest Jerseys Of All-Time

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I had a Flames fan friend try and tell me Iginla was on par with Yzerman and Sakic, so this should be fun to see where they all land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad