Proposal: Third line center to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
context, context, context
which you choose to ignore

1. Oil want to address multiple smaller needs
[3C and elsewhere, G]
2. have no cap space
3 have nothing else to offer NY of interest except Holloway/1sts and I did not go there

IF IF IF
the shoe was on the other foot, and I was trying to max cup push to max window that McD + LeoDrai have, then
THEN
I would have to consider value of sacrificing better piece for need [compared to instead making due with what I have and building to make a stronger push next year + following seasons] and also, if I go there, what is the net cost?

Question is moot, b'c unlike previous idiots who were Oil GM and who did little else right besides draft 2 generational guys when they had the chance, I would have been more careful about when to build and when to splurge.

4 2nds value now for a top 10 and a late 3rd is not a horseshit offer
especially if you consider the premise of OP is Oil want and need that help NOW to keep forward progress.
No matter how hard, high and loud you try and lobby this, it's still a garbage offer.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hoping for Mike McLeod out of NJ.

Reunite the brothers as linemates on the 3rd line... They can alternate the 3C duties. Neither is a legit 3C yet but together they will figure it out.
Say the Devils are out of the playoff race at the deadline.

Oilers
Subban at 50% 3.6225 million (last year on contract)
Mike Mcleod
Nolan Foote

Devils
Slater Koekkoek
Xavier bougault
2022 2nd or 2023 2nd if the 2023 depending on the Keith trade conditions
Zack Kasian $3,200,000 (for 2 and a half more years)

Edmonton gets
-Subban for a playoff run, He is good 3rd pair defenseman with a wicked shot. Since he probably wouldn't be on the powerplay I believe he'd thrive in a more shutdown role. A definite boost when heading into the playoffs.

- Mike Mcleod who I believe would fit will as a 3rd line center and is great at pretty good at faceoffs, He is currently ranked 2nd in Defensive faceoff win %. His skating ability is top tier and is adequate defensively. His biggest negative is that he has stone hands and doesn't really have a scoring touch. Paired with someone with a good shot and I think he would make the 3rd line dangerous

- Nolan Foote who has had a very rough development so far but showed his ability to score goals with his powerful shot in a recent WJC. He dropped down the Devils prospect list after having an underwhelming camp but I think he has the potential to knock down Benson and perhaps Foegele down the LW depth chart.-

- A bit of cap relief by losing the Kasian contract

Devils
get
-Koek who can fill Subban spot moving forward
- Center prospect
-interesting prospect
-Perhaps Kasian is good?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It’s really incredible that no one agrees with your opinion, there are fans of other teams defending the Oilers against your offer and everyone loves to hate the Oilers

not gonna spend time going back to do research -- if it is even possible now that boards were upgraded -- to get documentation contra this.

At dif times dif Oil fans agreed to one or another of variations on Buch to Oil if return was high enuf for NY.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Go get Jared McCann.

Would he want to stay on a team that looks to be building for the next 2 years?
If he's chasing money then sure, if he wants to win, EDM is a good chance to do that.

He's an RFA and doesn't really have too much of a say in this.
I'd also think he'd like a nice new contract and make a little bit more than now, which he could certainly get in Seattle.

So basically no chance on McCann to Edmonton IMO.

Though, like stated in the Rangers 2/3rd line forward thread, Jarnkrok could be had and he can play center.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's an RFA and doesn't really have too much of a say in this.
I'd also think he'd like a nice new contract and make a little bit more than now, which he could certainly get in Seattle.

So basically no chance on McCann to Edmonton IMO.

Though, like stated in the Rangers 2/3rd line forward thread, Jarnkrok could be had and he can play center.

He has some say, he's a UFA if he takes a 1 yr deal anywhere next year.
If he is chasing money then Seattle makes sense but if he wants some money and a chance at a Cup, it's not in Seattle.

Why some say no chance is beyond me, are you connected with Oilers in anyway?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
He has some say, he's a UFA if he takes a 1 yr deal anywhere next year.
If he is chasing money then Seattle makes sense but if he wants some money and a chance at a Cup, it's not in Seattle.

Why some say no chance is beyond me, are you connected with Oilers in anyway?

I think he first wants enough ice time and more than a 3rd line role which he had in Pittsburgh before.
He also wants a solid contract given that he's currently at $2.94 M and has estimated career earnings less than $8M so far.

Both of those things are available in Seattle and not in Edmonton, while he's also just 25 years old and not in need to go "cup hunting" at this point of his career.

No, I've got absolutely nothing to do with the Oilers.

Igor Ulanov

Nov 20, 2021
I'd like to see the Oilers inquire about Radek Faksa from Dallas for the 3rd line, he is a big center who is physical, that can play defense well against tough matchups, wins 50% of his draws. He moves up and down the lineup and can play wing but mostly center.

Here's an article from a couple years ago giving us an idea of what type of player he is: 'No one wants to play against him': Faksa's reputation growing with Stars
The downside is his cap hit is 3.25M but his contract goes until the end of 2024-25 and he is only 27, was a 13th ovr pick in 2012.

Not sure what the price might be for a guy like this but I'm assuming the ask would probably be higher than would be smart for the Oilers to pay right now as it would presumably put Dallas into a position of having to immediately find a replacement thus it would probably be an unlikely trade unless maybe Dallas is looking at a different direction with its roster makeup - perhaps it could be possible at the deadline if Dallas management isn't confident in the teams playoff chances.

Dallas plays Edmonton this coming Tuesday night

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
not gonna spend time going back to do research -- if it is even possible now that boards were upgraded -- to get documentation contra this.

At dif times dif Oil fans agreed to one or another of variations on Buch to Oil if return was high enuf for NY.
I should have been more specific, in this thread

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I should have been more specific, in this thread

In a similar thread the OP posted the following:
Now it is not likely any of these prospects are available as we need ELC . Just wanted to see what offers we can get and maybe there an offer that makes sense . Dollar for dollar has to go out/in . So something will have to go the other way or the dollars to work . I never listed Broberg because he is not available at all.

1) Holloway
2) Bourgault
3) Samorukov
4) Savoie
5)Lavoie
6) 2022 1st
7) McLeod
8)Benson . He more of a throw in .
9) Later picks 2022 and 2023

Cap dumps .

Koskinen who has not been bad this year so we aren't paying a 1st to move him
Turris
Klefbom if a team wants to move on from a player and wants the cap relief his LTIR provides
Koekoek a number 7 D
Perlini was great in preseason but stuck on the 4th line playing with cap players for 7 to 10 minutes a night

All are UFA at the end of the season except Klefbom

Needs

3rd line C - Holloway may fill this
2nd/3rd line RW - Bourgault may fill this
Goalie - So far Skinner is looking good so we probably don't trade for a goalie until we have a long look at Skinner to see what we really have .
A real good 4th liner that brings energy and never takes a night off . Sound defensively but can chip in 10 goals a year

In pertinent part I replied as to the needs identified, my offer was a value of 4 2nds now + for a top 10 value and a delayed third.
2 of those 2 2nds address items covered by Rooney and Geo.

I am more reasonable than you care to admit.
The fact that I suggested an offer as above demonstrates I am attempting to listen to the needs of other teams as potential trading partners.
Including the Oil.

I just don't take any crap from anybody and don't hesitate to call people out if they are wrong.
ps - that's you, you were/are wrong here.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
In a similar thread the OP posted the following:

In pertinent part I replied as to the needs identified, my offer was a value of 4 2nds now + for a top 10 value and a delayed third.
2 of those 2 2nds address items covered by Rooney and Geo.

I am more reasonable than you care to admit.
The fact that I suggested an offer as above demonstrates I am attempting to listen to the needs of other teams as potential trading partners.
Including the Oil.

I just don't take any crap from anybody and don't hesitate to call people out if they are wrong.
ps - that's you, you were/are wrong here.
I’m sorry where in there does it include trading Broberg for futures?

serious question for you, if the Oilers we’re looking to improve their team and did actually make Broberg available, do you think anything that you have offered up for him couldn’t/wouldn’t be beat by any other team?

Last edited:

Cricket

Nov 19, 2021
Say the Devils are out of the playoff race at the deadline.

Oilers
Subban at 50% 3.6225 million (last year on contract)
Mike Mcleod
Nolan Foote

Devils
Slater Koekkoek
Xavier bougault
2022 2nd or 2023 2nd if the 2023 depending on the Keith trade conditions
Zack Kasian $3,200,000 (for 2 and a half more years)

Edmonton gets
-Subban for a playoff run, He is good 3rd pair defenseman with a wicked shot. Since he probably wouldn't be on the powerplay I believe he'd thrive in a more shutdown role. A definite boost when heading into the playoffs.

- Mike Mcleod who I believe would fit will as a 3rd line center and is great at pretty good at faceoffs, He is currently ranked 2nd in Defensive faceoff win %. His skating ability is top tier and is adequate defensively. His biggest negative is that he has stone hands and doesn't really have a scoring touch. Paired with someone with a good shot and I think he would make the 3rd line dangerous

- Nolan Foote who has had a very rough development so far but showed his ability to score goals with his powerful shot in a recent WJC. He dropped down the Devils prospect list after having an underwhelming camp but I think he has the potential to knock down Benson and perhaps Foegele down the LW depth chart.-

- A bit of cap relief by losing the Kasian contract

Devils
get
-Koek who can fill Subban spot moving forward
- Center prospect
-interesting prospect
-Perhaps Kasian is good?
Replace Mcleod with Zacha.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs need to some shed salary with impending deals for Kadri, Bura, Nichu and Kuemper. Traded their impending 1st & 2nd this draft, they would have likely selected a Forward with these picks. Prospect likely long-term due to team depth.

Compher (2 years @ $3.5M)

for

Lavoie

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
AVs need to some shed salary with impending deals for Kadri, Bura, Nichu and Kuemper. Traded their impending 1st & 2nd this draft, they would have likely selected a Forward with these picks. Prospect likely long-term due to team depth.

for

Lavoie

Oilers have no cap room for that kind of trade.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
NYR + StL 2022 2nds
Rooney
McKegg
Hajek
Geo at half

for

Broberg
Oil 2023 3rd

you have 0 cap space per CF.
An acceptable expiring cap dump can be discussed.

Look you are not getting Broberg for pieces.

Georgiev today is no better than Koskinen, maybe worse... go read your own boards for that evaluation of Georgiev. 1 RFA year before he decides to go play elsewhere &/or ask for a contract the Oilers can not afford.

Rooney is a very average 3rd line C at best and he is 28.... he's not going to develop into anything more.

Hajek and McKegg are AHL players... they wouldn't even see our line up.

The two 2nd round picks have value but they are still magic beans and would add zero value to our lineup for about the next 4-5 years.

How does any of that make the Oilers a better team today... or in the future?

You want Broberg... it's either going to be for a similar blue chip prospect or the Oilers are using Broberg to upgrade. The downgrading/trading for prospects is not the business the Oilers are in.

1 both forget the 2 2nds this yr
2 the 3rd is not until next season, not this
3 OP advises RNH playing like a 4th liner
4 Rooney is actually good and super cheap; he is middle 6 material, easy on 3rd line and can 2nd line in a pinch
4 McKegg is 4th line but you could do worse for expiring min $ depth
5 Hajek is a replacement body
6, Geo at half is useful for you, whether you admit it or not.

---------
If you don't want a big deal, fine but I would not move Rooney for less than a 2nd, which you don't have this yr

Huh? He said "Ryan" as in Derek Ryan. How would anyone evaluate a player who in 17GP has 1G + 18A = 19P as a 4th liner. I know you wouldn't and just misread but it speaks volumes as to your knowledge of the Edmonton Oilers.

Matthews + Campbell

Nurse + Koskinen

Yeah... I'm about 100% sure the Leafs wouldn't go for this.

for

Lavoie

This is a very fair offer but the Oilers are tight to the cap so it just doesn't work. Maybe part 2 of a 2 part deal if they could offload the cap required to clear the space.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad