Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Specifics? Or just general wishes?

The logic escapes me. If you have assets, why are you trading assets to get assets?

I guess you want a tear down so that you have all kids playing with the new Russian kid. Grow together type thing. That's the Buffalo way. Hasn't worked yet.

Are you aware that players age?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

iu

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Comcast is going to charge themselves for the naming rights and then raise your rates to cover the cost
I had to sign a NDA, so I shall without specific names, but when I left one specific institution I worked for who bought naming rights - they cut YE bonuses, merit raises, corporate cards, and company phones because the price of said naming right was ABSOLUTELY ABSURD. We’re talking half a billion dollars absurd.

Reactions: Hanover Fist

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Prospective Local Naming Rights Options:

Yes, Please: Wawa, Tastycake

Sure, Why Not: Vanguard, Campbell's, PECO, DuPont

Most Probable: Fanatics, Independence Blue Cross, Comcast

It's Gonna Be Another Bank, Isn't It?: TD, WSFS

Appropriately Inappropriate: BlueChew (After all, we have been reliably informed that this team plays hard.)

• Haha
Reactions: Amorgus

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Specifics? Or just general wishes?

The logic escapes me. If you have assets, why are you trading assets to get assets?

I guess you want a tear down so that you have all kids playing with the new Russian kid. Grow together type thing. That's the Buffalo way. Hasn't worked yet.
How about we consider other franchises, like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc., who won cups with a core built around the same time? That seemed to have worked okay for them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How about we consider other franchises, like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc., who won cups with a core built around the same time? That seemed to have worked okay for them.

Tampa, Colorado, Capitals too...

Edmonton and Toronto have not won... but yeh, only one team can win.

The Sabres, Senators and Devils (teams built in similar ilk with top talent at same age) top players are only like 22-23 years old... their windows open roughly now... really cant judge them and how it went until probably 2030.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It'll never happen because money is king and it'll just lead to things being more expensive for the fans but just name it after Ed Snider.

Call it the Ed Snider Center with no naming rights.

You all know I don't opine for the old days but I think that would be a very nice gesture.

It also would make me laugh even more when the Sixers broadcast refuses to say it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tampa, Colorado, Capitals too...

Edmonton and Toronto have not won... but yeh, only one team can win.

The Sabres, Senators and Devils (teams built in similar ilk with top talent at same age) top players are only like 22-23 years old... their windows open roughly now... really cant judge them and how it went until probably 2030.
Ottawa and NJ both stopped their rebuild a year or two early, which is why Ottawa is still a mess and NJ remains to be seen if they can take advantage of their draft luck (2 #1 picks) or if they're going to be the next Toronto. NJ managed to finish behind the Flyers despite the Flyers having worse goaltending. Yes, Hamilton was injured, but still, that suggests something is wrong there.

Buffalo is Edmonton a decade ago when they kept wasting great draft position, a dysfunctional franchise that hasn't been able to figure it out - but they now have young goaltending. The right HC and a couple good moves could probably propel them into contending for a Cup.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ottawa and NJ both stopped their rebuild a year or two early, which is why Ottawa is still a mess and NJ remains to be seen if they can take advantage of their draft luck (2 #1 picks) or if they're going to be the next Toronto. NJ managed to finish behind the Flyers despite the Flyers having worse goaltending. Yes, Hamilton was injured, but still, that suggests something is wrong there.

Buffalo is Edmonton a decade ago when they kept wasting great draft position, a dysfunctional franchise that hasn't been able to figure it out - but they now have young goaltending. The right HC and a couple good moves could probably propel them into contending for a Cup.

Tbf I think the Buffalo rebuild can be split into two...

the Regier-Murray re-build, where they hitched their wagon to 1D Risto, and never really had more than ~2 top talents at a time and did not build the deepest pool... it was very old-Oilers rebuild.

Then the Botterill-Adams part which seems far more cohesive. Helped ofc by having an actual top D talent and not a 2nd pairing guy.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
How should I read this? For example, what is it that makes Sanheim's contract the second-worst on the Flyers?
It's the problem with being too forced into the numbers, and the general issue with models. And why they don't garner real decisions.

Sanheim at 6.5M is great value. You can argue great, good, etc. But negative? they are also including Ryan Johansen in this calculation. And in Laughton's case, I'm not a fan - but what 35-40 point all around players are you getting for $800K?

It's junk.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It's the problem with being too forced into the numbers, and the general issue with models. And why they don't garner real decisions.

Sanheim at 6.5M is great value. You can argue great, good, etc. But negative? they are also including Ryan Johansen in this calculation. And in Laughton's case, I'm not a fan - but what 35-40 point all around players are you getting for $800K?

It's junk.

Yeah, I just don't know what it's measuring. Dropoff value? Current value to the team? Length of commitment on the cap?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I just don't know what it's measuring. Dropoff value? Current value to the team? Length of commitment on the cap?

I don't like Dom's stuff in general, so please don't take this as an endorsement.

In this case, read it as him calling Laughton a replacement level player. He started to drop off in 22-23 and was downright awful last year. You can decide that was an aberration if you want and he won't be among the least efficient players in the whole league again. Quantitative approaches don't do that. '23-24 Laughton can be acquired off the street for <1 MM quite easily.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don't like Dom's stuff in general, so please don't take this as an endorsement.

In this case, read it as him calling Laughton a replacement level player. He started to drop off in 22-23 and was downright awful last year. You can decide that was an aberration if you want and he won't be among the least efficient players in the whole league again. Quantitative approaches don't do that. '23-24 Laughton can be acquired off the street for <1 MM quite easily.

Thanks jojo. And is this measurement in relation to the salary at all (i.e. Laughton or Sanheim's grade would increase at a lower AAV)? Or is salary not part of the model?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Thanks jojo. And is this measurement in relation to the salary at all (i.e. Laughton or Sanheim's grade would increase at a lower AAV)? Or is salary not part of the model?

I believe it's just a flat Model says X value for purely on ice play and his cap hit is Y.

X - Y gives you Surplus.

Here's another site's Laughton timeline. This illustrates the point far better than my words.

GQSXo_TXIAEWvaH

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Laughton was bad. No argument.

Replacement level players aren't putting up 39 points. No way, no how.

There are many worse players than Laughton before you approach replacement level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $135.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Georgia vs Czech Republic
    Georgia vs Czech Republic
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,068.00