Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Plenty of teams have won with that approach. We didn't need to keep Seeler. Or Laughton. Or Hathaway. All solid value assets that could have been used to ensure Michkov actually has someone to play with when he hits his prime. These are pro athletes. How many older hand-holders do you think a team needs? Veterans and intangibles have zero value if the people bearing it suck at their actual jobs. No opposition scores less when Deslauriers is on the ice just because they think he's a solid guy.

The Flyers are doing what they always do and they'll waste his career like they wasted Lindros and Giroux.
MM should phone Roo and get the low down on how his career is likely to pan out if he stays in Philly...

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
St. Louis also probably had the shortest contending window too outside of maybe LA.

St. Louis also had the Hitchcock years prior, with some core players remaining for the early Berube years. St. Louis had a really good decade as one of the best case studies in "win with depth." But how often does a team with their talent level -- which still requires a lot of value overshooting -- actually break through into Conference Finals, let alone Cup Finals? It's a valid argument that the Flyers want to emulate teams like the Blues, Islanders, Tortorella Jackets. They pathologically don't want to be Tampa or Colorado or Chicago or Florida. We all know they only want to win with their stubborn, dust covered principles.

The Blues had their Cinderella run, but there's no repeatability there. Kyrou, Buchnevich, Thomas is an entire NHL top line they've added on the cheap in the years since the Cup. The Flyers couldn't add 3 players of this caliber if they tried -- not even with top 10 picks. And the Blues are still stuck in no man's land these days.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
I am ambivalent to a TK extension. The price is high and that's an error. My philosophy is that anything that won't be worthwhile when Michkov is 25 and can be sold should be sold now for things that will be. TK might still have utility then. Get everything on the same timeline, instead of what we watched them do with Giroux.
So you wanted to tank. Got it. It's an idea. Ask a Buffalo fan how he feels about it.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
St. Louis also had the Hitchcock years prior, with some core players remaining for the early Berube years. St. Louis had a really good decade as one of the best case studies in "win with depth." But how often does a team with their talent level -- which still requires a lot of value overshooting -- actually break through into Conference Finals, let alone Cup Finals? It's a valid argument that the Flyers want to emulate teams like the Blues, Islanders, Tortorella Jackets. They pathologically don't want to be Tampa or Colorado or Chicago or Florida. We all know they only want to win with their stubborn, dust covered principles.

The Blues had their Cinderella run, but there's no repeatability there. Kyrou, Buchnevich, Thomas is an entire NHL top line they've added on the cheap in the years since the Cup. The Flyers couldn't add 3 players of this caliber if they tried -- not even with top 10 picks. And the Blues are still stuck in no man's land these days.
The Blues also selected a #1 dman at 4th overall and actually developed him and let him play on their team for a decade before they won a cup. We know the Flyers are never doing any part of that, nevermind the whole thing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So you wanted to tank. Got it. It's an idea. Ask a Buffalo fan how he feels about it.

Rather ask TB, Carolina, Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, Washington, Colorado, Florida, even Edmonton fans who at least have fun players to watch.

Oh, and Buffalo is in better shape than the Flyers. We are Buffalo and unlike Buffalo, we are doing nothing to change trajectory.

I wanted them to do what was needed to build around their best talent in ages and WIN. Do you have something against winning?

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
The Blues also selected a #1 dman at 4th overall and actually developed him and let him play on their team for a decade before they won a cup. We know the Flyers are never doing any part of that, nevermind the whole thing.
So you're saying 10 years from now Michkov wins a cup with the Flyers? Could happen.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Hell, look at that list of winners; for years, many of the teams on that list were pointed at as the "HA, look at those teams! Tanking doesn't work!" examples.

Now the only example left is Buffalo, a team that is still in better shape for the future than we are. That's grim!
Buffalo absolutely clowned Chuck Fletcher in the Risto trade, so you tell me which franchise is supposed to be the cautionary tale here.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Buffalo absolutely clowned Chuck Fletcher in the Risto trade, so you tell me which franchise is supposed to be the cautionary tale here.
Yes, that example applies to all future Flyers GMs forever. Cluck Fletcher was royal ass, so all GMs down the road must be as well.

Love the hot takes.

On top of that, every decision I disagree with - fire them! They're stupid!

When Fletcher was GM, everybody wanted them to be unified in a plan. That's fair.

Now that DB is here, they clearly have a plan. The problem now is that it's not the plan that this board agrees with. Hence, all decisions are immediately wrong.

You can disagree with the approach; but in 2 years if you are all right, then be proud? Stop following the team. Or stop following them now if you wish and you don't want to trust.

You can disagree with approach, plan and individual decisions, but still hope that things can work out, rather than making every decision into a black and white, immediately gratifying expectation.

"They didn't draft Buium! I never saw the dude, and neither did a bunch of the people who ran the polls, but Briere is an idiot for not listening to people who haven't watched him and not ignoring his scouts who have and taking him anyway! But wait, Hextall shouldn't have ignored the scouts and taken Patrick in 2017, either!"

The take is simple: you can hope they were right, and wait. Or assume they're wrong, and complain. How will it work out? Nobody knows. Be critical - that's ok.

Reality is, we don't know. They don't either [how they will turn out]. Most on this board, however, just complain.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes, that example applies to all future Flyers GMs forever. Cluck Fletcher was royal ass, so all GMs down the road must be as well.

Love the hot takes.

When Fletcher was GM, everybody wanted them to be unified in a plan. That's fair.

Now that DB is here, they clearly have a plan. The problem now is that it's not the plan that this board agrees with. Hence, all decisions are immediately wrong.

You can disagree with the approach; but in 2 years if you are all right, then be proud? Stop following the team. Or stop following them now if you wish and you don't want to trust.

You can disagree with approach, plan and individual decisions, but still hope that things can work out, rather than making every decision into a black and white, immediately gratifying expectation.

"They didn't draft Buium! I never saw the dude, and neither did a bunch of the people who ran the polls, but Briere is an idiot for not listening to people who haven't watched him and not ignoring his scouts who have and taking him anyway! But wait, Hextall shouldn't have ignored the scouts and taken Patrick in 2017, either!"

The take is simple: you can hope they were right, and wait. Or assume they're wrong, and complain. How will it work out? Nobody knows. Be critical - that's ok.

Reality is, we don't know. They don't either [how they will turn out]. Most on this board, however, just complain.
What plan?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Love the hot takes.

What's the plan?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

Love the hot takes.

I don't know exactly why pointing out Buffalo took Fletcher's lunch money is this upsetting to you, but it's meant to mock people who say this team will turn into the next Buffalo if they do a tear down rebuild because current Buffalo clowned this team.

Nevermind the fact you're assuming that because Buffalo is bad now all future buffalo teams will be bad? Or maybe you're not? I don't get why you took this so personally if I'm being honest.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Love the hot takes.

You are not the first person to say they have a plan but when asked no one can actually say what the plan is

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019

Attachments

• cmon-do-something.jpg
    cmon-do-something.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The plan is to pull off a trade no one else in the modern history of the league has been able to complete. This includes themselves striking out for 2 years on it during a period in which they had a unique available asset still waiting to start his ELC.

Seems simple!

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

Love the hot takes.

cool any other rules we should stick to ?

i thought this was a discussion board

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hell, look at that list of winners; for years, many of the teams on that list were pointed at as the "HA, look at those teams! Tanking doesn't work!" examples.

Now the only example left is Buffalo, a team that is still in better shape for the future than we are. That's grim!
The mistake we made wasn't tanking, it was hiring imbeciles like GMTM, Botts, Abysmal, Housley and undisputed worst coach in hockey history Ralph "The Hockey Terrorist" Kreuger who basically squandered all the assets collected because they sucked at their jobs.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
cool any other rules we should stick to ?

i thought this was a discussion board
Always make me laugh when the "if you don't like the team you don't have to follow" crowd gets on people for complaining. They should take their own advice and stop following the board if it bothers them so much to read so much positivity about the team

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The mistake we made wasn't tanking, it was hiring imbeciles like GMTM, Botts, Abysmal, Housley and undisputed worst coach in hockey history Ralph "The Hockey Terrorist" Kreuger who basically squandered all the assets collected because they sucked at their jobs.
Agree. They put themselves in position to get the top end picks. Just have very bad management and ownership.

Was Murray really that bad? His moves looked good just clearly didn't pan out.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They've been clear about the plan since Briere was hired, they're not going to tank, they are going to accumulate young assets. Doesn't mean it'll work, but there is a plan. They want to get younger and faster.

Briere has added one player over 30, Hathaway. He's signed Poehling, added Drysdale, added marginal depth to LHV, accumulated a bunch of draft picks.

He didn't trade Seeler b/c he has too many young RHD in the pipeline and he wasn't going to bring that much in trade. And they are being conservative with prospects, good teams marinate their prospects and bring them up when they're NHL ready, not throw them in over their heads.

I'd have moved Laughton, I think they overrate him.

Stuck with Risto until he shows he's healthy and contract gets shorter - big RHD who play defense are coveted assets, Briere doesn't want to pay to get rid of his cap hit.

Bought out Atkinson, buried Peterson, Johanssen headed to LTIR, still have Ellis and Hayes' retention.
Take another couple season to clean up CF's mess.

Reactions: Hextallent63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad