Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

People keep saying Wawa, but the ones who should step in and try to one-up Wawa are their competitors.

645371-gettyimages-613775304-d83422c3bfeb37c47424c610e07e129d.jpg

Sheetz Center rolls off the tongue and would never be problematic with a word flub
:sarcasm:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
People keep saying Wawa, but the ones who should step in and try to one-up Wawa are their competitors.

645371-gettyimages-613775304-d83422c3bfeb37c47424c610e07e129d.jpg

Sheetz Center rolls off the tongue and would never be problematic with a word flub
:sarcasm:
Wells Fargo is pulling a lot of sponsorship money. There isn’t as much right off as their use to be.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
There is a part of me that would like to know why he fell in love with them so much.

Is he wanting to milk them for as much money as possible? Or is his ego so big that he wants to be seen as the messiah of the franchise.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
You trade assets for draft picks and you don't make ridiculous reaches when possibly the best D prospect in the draft falls to you. You also don't trade down into the future for no f***ing reason.
Too bad the “braintrust” gave away Cutter Gauthier, passed on Zeev Buium, and don’t have a top 6 center on the team or in the pipeline. Otherwise, all good.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
if we had a real..what ever the old dude is..governor..owner..CEO or what ever he is..if we had someong that wasnt a fanboy of the old players..i would give managmenet a realistic 3 to 5 year window where they need to be in the PO's and not just fodder...maybe get them to actually get some better talent around the "franchise savior" before he sees how bad it is here and decided he also wants out

• Love
Reactions: BiggE and Amorgus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There is a part of me that would like to know why he fell in love with them so much.

Is he wanting to milk them for as much money as possible? Or is his ego so big that he wants to be seen as the messiah of the franchise.
It’s more than likely that like a good portion of Europeans he views the Flyers as a premier franchise. They have a mythos to them. They’re a well known team over there.

They used to have that here in the States also but that’s gone to the wayside as the incompetence runs rampant but those across the pond don’t see the organization on an every day basis so the allure hasn’t been lost.

Or Comcast cut SKA a big fat check that’s going to result in the Flyers having international sanctions placed on them. There’s always a new level to #MaximumPain.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s more than likely that like a good portion of Europeans he views the Flyers as a premier franchise. They have a mythos to them. They’re a well known team over there.

They used to have that here in the States also but that’s gone to the wayside as the incompetence runs rampant but those across the pond don’t see the organization on an every day basis so the allure hasn’t been lost.

Or Comcast cut SKA a big fat check that’s going to result in the Flyers having international sanctions placed on them. There’s always a new level to #MaximumPain.

Wouldn’t it make more sense that the Flyers in particular would be viewed in not the most favourable light because of the whole Bully/Red Army thing?

Alas, you might be right - just seems weird to me how he’s seemingly so in love with them.

I don’t for a second doubt this somehow goes sideways, but would be nice to have a fun/healthy star to follow. I’m basically at Fletcher levels of nothing mattering until an actual regime change happens.

They are wasting his time (if he truly cares about winning), until that happens. Not sure he plays good soldier like Claude.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Yeh, Flyers definitely still have the mythos in Europe... mainly based off the 1990s actually. (the last time the NHL was really massive in Europe overall and the age-range a lot of Euro fans outside of the Nordics come from.)

Leafs
Red Wings
Bruins
Rangers
Canadiens
Flyers
Penguins
Avalanche
Devils
Blackhawks

I would guess are the 10 most popular teams here... probably roughly in that order. Rare to see anyone wearing a jersey, hat etc that is not from one of those 10 teams tbh. (though Isles, Canucks, Oilers and Wild I see here and there actually)

What is funny is I would probably say that the Canadiens and Blackhawks are the two least followed of the 06.

Though teams with big Euro stars also have exposure in cycles... for example right now the Panthers and Canucks with Barkov and Pettersson ofc get bigger followings in Finland and Sweden.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeh, Flyers definitely still have the mythos in Europe... mainly based off the 1990s actually. (the last time the NHL was really massive in Europe overall and the age-range a lot of Euro fans outside of the Nordics come from.)

Leafs
Red Wings
Bruins
Rangers
Canadiens
Flyers
Penguins
Avalanche
Devils
Blackhawks

I would guess are the 10 most popular teams here... probably roughly in that order. Rare to see anyone wearing a jersey, hat etc that is not from one of those 10 teams tbh. (though Isles, Canucks, Oilers and Wild I see here and there actually)

What is funny is I would probably say that the Canadiens and Blackhawks are the two least followed of the 06.

Though teams with big Euro stars also have exposure in cycles... for example right now the Panthers and Canucks with Barkov and Pettersson ofc get bigger followings in Finland and Sweden.
I would’ve thought the Canucks would be huge in Sweden, they’ve had a strong Swedish presence going back to Markus Naslund, but he obviously wasn’t bigger than Sundin, Forsberg, or Lidstrom.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would’ve thought the Canucks would be huge in Sweden, they’ve had a strong Swedish presence going back to Markus Naslund, but he obviously wasn’t bigger than Sundin, Forsberg, or Lidstrom.

I think they are... but not as big across the rest of Europe. And even still the Leafs and Red Wings likely have more followers in Sweden.

From the time I spent in Sweden I guess Leafs, Red Wings, Rangers, Canucks, Penguins, Capitals, Flyers, Avalanche are the biggest eight there (in roughly that order). But every other Euro country I doubt the Canucks hit top 10.

Reactions: BiggE

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think they are... but not as big across the rest of Europe. And even still the Leafs and Red Wings likely have more followers in Sweden.

From the time I spent in Sweden I guess Leafs, Red Wings, Rangers, Canucks, Penguins, Capitals, Flyers, Avalanche are the biggest eight there (in roughly that order). But every other Euro country I doubt the Canucks hit top 10.
The Flyers best country is likely Sweden, they probably should’ve played a game there when they were in Europe, but with Voracek being their best European player, Czechia made sense. They were one of the first teams to be pulling guys out of Sweden.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Flyers best country is likely Sweden, they probably should’ve played a game there when they were in Europe, but with Voracek being their best European player, Czechia made sense. They were one of the first teams to be pulling guys out of Sweden.

I feel like the Flyers are probably not top 4-5 in any country... but in slot ~6-10 in basically every country...

honestly, the NHL exposure in the 1990s in Europe was somehow far higher/better and aside from the Nordics everyone else is still kind of "stuck" in that timeframe team wise. And a lot of people my age who have kids/are having kids pass their team on to their children too, as that is kind of how it is in Europe for almost every sport, kids support same team as parents did, kind of blindly aha.

Reactions: BiggE

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Part of me does seriously wonder if it's just a matter of deep pockets and a willingness to be a bit unscrupulous. All of the Russian publications, via translation, put it as the Flyers buying out the deal. Michkov himself yesterday, as translated, said he wasn't involved in the "negotiation between SKA and Philadelphia." Seems to be the open secret.

Based on the kid's really unfortunate family situation, not unthinkable that he'd want to have gotten out of Russia faster--so finding a dance partner to make that happen may've been important to his process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad