Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not even saying this in a cynical way but even looking at through the lens of the hockey bubble eyes. If you asked the Flyers front office to list their most valuable players in the entire organization from #1 to whatever. Konecny would easily be #2 with the caveat that #1 hasn’t even played an NHL game yet & there’s a crater size gap between Konecny & whoever the #3 player is.

The worst part from a talent perspective is that the crater is now substantially larger, because the former #3 will likely never play in the NHL again, if he's even allowed to leave Canada.

The current #3 is probably Sanheim.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Sometimes I even write a bit of code to make those lists for me. I’m so sorry.

ToMjGpIqvqxK6e3hMsg.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers could point to them just signing another RW to 8 x $6.2m, and that player was only 15 points behind Konency.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
As an aside, there were BC media people who directly stated Gauthier was interested in signing after the season in '23. They obviously have no interest here either. Hell, they'd want to avoid talking about him being ready to leave.
Wow, someone could learn so much from this post...we've got two possible outcomes here

1. The Flyers did an incredible job, for over a year, in getting BC to keep quiet about Cutter not wanting to play for the Flyers. They told the BC crew that if they didn't let the info leak, they'd trade him when they thought his trade value was worth it

2. The BC media people have no reason whatsoever to try and cover for Cutter and are discussing information they received first hand and he wanted to sign in 23, over a year after being drafted, but the Flyers weren't interested

Based on prior history, one seems a bit more obvious than the other, but I don't want to assume

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The worst part from a talent perspective is that the crater is now substantially larger, because the former #3 will likely never play in the NHL again, if he's even allowed to leave Canada.

The current #3 is probably Sanheim.
Losing Hart is a blessing in disguise. He would have wanted 8 x $7-8m even though he isn’t worth nearly that much, and was quite unreliable with injuries and “illness”.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Fans can see this or that player being tradeable for such and such return. It’s all dependent on another team wanting said player on their contact and being willing to give up that return. It isn’t all that easy to do especially now with so many teams up against the cap.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Fans can see this or that player being tradeable for such and such return. It’s all dependent on another team wanting said player on their contact and being willing to give up that return. It isn’t all that easy to do especially now with so many teams up against the cap.
Yes and no. For decades, literally, all of the hypothetical moves Flyers fans suggested the team make were always viewed as "impossible" for one reason or another, until they happened elsewhere.

Example: If fans had suggested Briere trade Frost or Laughton to Colorado for Byram they would have been laughed at, ridiculed, and told, "There's no way the Flyers are getting Byram for those guys" until 20 days later when the Sabres got Byram for Mittelstadt.

Matt Savoie gets traded for a 4th line C and another piece last week... where was Briere? I guess there was no way he could offer equal, or slightly better, value than that package. It's happened time and time again for years. And every time it's the local mouthpieces that pop out of the woodwork for damage control explaining why it was 100% impossible for the Flyers to make the same trade.

The truth is it's the Flyers who are responsible for lacking the vision, creativity, or ability to finesse and facilitate a deal... or even think 1 or 2 steps ahead. A case in point was the draft when Buium slips to 12. Even if you feel he's redundant, wasn't anyone in the organization sharp enough to convince Briere to draft him as a scratch-off ticket due to his immense upside? If the organization feels he's redundant, they must imagine the could flip him as a golden asset in a year or two for a top asset the way the Ducks did with Drysdale... and that's if he doesn't blow their doors off and end up being their next 1D.

This organization has always operated with basic, flawed, tunnel vision and therefore falls into the same traps, and steps on the same mines, religiously. What other team would/have signed one of their homegrown vets to an enormous contract with terrible term, named them captain, then healthy scratched them shortly after?

The Hayes contract, the JVR contract, and the Couturier contract. The timing was grotesque on all of them. Next will be the pending horrific Konecny extension. "But, but, but, we need good players to compete... blah, blah, blah." Tell that to the Avalanche who started to emerge as a powerhouse once they traded Matt Duchene and failed to pass up on an elite defenseman in the draft (Cale Makar). They knew in order to be a legit contender for years, they needed to move Duchene to rebuild properly and dedicate their "top dollars" to players better than him at the right time... even though he was currently one of their best players and a fan-favorite. They at least had a plan and were thinking multiple steps ahead. No matter the regime, the Flyers lack the vision that winning teams have. Which is exactly why they won't trade their "Duchene" and they just passed on their "Makar."

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
There could have been some rumblings that Cutter wasn't entirely enamored with the org before he requested a trade - he's human and probably said some things to people close to him - but if the Flyers brain trust (lol) were aware of that and still tried to jerk him around with the ATO nonsense then it just makes them look even more incompetent for so completely misreading the situation.

In any case, while that is certainly a lack of awareness and a big screw up by a new GM trying to play money ball with a top prospect, the trade is the bigger mistake as they had ample time to plan it and it still ended up a total shellacking. That they are proud of pulling off!

It's just maddening watching these guys run around and have absolutely no idea what their doing. To the extent that I now actively root against this franchise until every one of these bozos are gone. Which will never happen as they are bringing in a younger generation of lying bozo in the Keith Jones mold.

Reactions: Amorgus

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
You can’t go into camp with TK unsigned and still on the roster. Move him or resign him. I prefer the former but going into camp with him still on the roster and unsigned is just begging for a long term injury because it’s the flyers.
Honestly, an injury early on might be preferable to keeping Konecny till the deadline.

The real damage from Konecny is what he does to our own draft pick. If he plays like he did last year, this is a team that’s probably outside the top 10 in the draft. If he gets traded now or gets injured early, we could/should be picking top 5.

I obviously want the additional draft capital, but I’d rather draft top 5 with this class of prospects than draft 12 and have 2 more firsts.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The Flyers could point to them just signing another RW to 8 x $6.2m, and that player was only 15 points behind Konency.
There is a 12 point difference between Tippet and Frost (with Tippet playing 7 more games), and this franchise sees one as a corner stone for 8 years and compares the other to a toilet seat.

You can't use points to appeal to management, they are going to think whatever they think regardless of the numbers in front of them.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The guy severly lacks hockey IQ, I'm not that worried about losing CG, did we lose the trade? Probably, but he's not a main piece on a championship team that much is clear. Unless he gets a lobotamy and somehow gets smarter and better at hockey. He's a got a good shot and a big body, I've been over it for awhile now.
I'm interested to see how Cutter pans out. He's a great natural athlete. Big frame. Ridiculously good shot. But he definitely has spells where he's invisible despite his tools.

This is why I scoff at the notion it's "proven" that the Flyers lost the trade for Drysdale and a 2nd.

We don't know what Gauthier is. And we don't know what Drysdale is, either.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Hayes contract, the JVR contract, and the Couturier contract. The timing was grotesque on all of them. Next will be the pending horrific Konecny extension. "But, but, but, we need good players to compete... blah, blah, blah." Tell that to the Avalanche who started to emerge as a powerhouse once they traded Matt Duchene and failed to pass up on an elite defenseman in the draft (Cale Makar). They knew in order to be a legit contender for years, they needed to move Duchene to rebuild properly and dedicate their "top dollars" to players better than him at the right time... even though he was currently one of their best players and a fan-favorite. They at least had a plan and were thinking multiple steps ahead. No matter the regime, the Flyers lack the vision that winning teams have. Which is exactly why they won't trade their "Duchene" and they just passed on their "Makar."

Duchene requested a trade.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm interested to see how Cutter pans out. He's a great natural athlete. Big frame. Ridiculously good shot. But he definitely has spells where he's invisible despite his tools.

This is why I scoff at the notion it's "proven" that the Flyers lost the trade for Drysdale and a 2nd.

We don't know what Gauthier is. And we don't know what Drysdale is, either.

Fascinating that you are giving such leeway to a guy who is everything you mistakenly thought Ghost was, and that you slammed so hard.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There could have been some rumblings that Cutter wasn't entirely enamored with the org before he requested a trade - he's human and probably said some things to people close to him - but if the Flyers brain trust (lol) were aware of that and still tried to jerk him around with the ATO nonsense then it just makes them look even more incompetent for so completely misreading the situation.

In any case, while that is certainly a lack of awareness and a big screw up by a new GM trying to play money ball with a top prospect, the trade is the bigger mistake as they had ample time to plan it and it still ended up a total shellacking. That they are proud of pulling off!
I could forgive Briere as a brand new, interim GM coming into a tire fire situation not giving his full attention to the 19 year old prospect in March 2023, and not realizing until it was too late (May 2023) they had lost Gauthier. What makes it unforgivable is the subsequent dishonesty, attempts to smear the kid's character and sick the Authentic fanbase on him.

I really do laugh when I see Flyer fans call him Quitter Gauthier. As if not wanting to play for the team that hired Tortorella as coach and kept Fletcher as GM till the 2023 trade deadline only to suddenly fire him, is anything but a sign of good judgement. And then they hired their color commentator to run the team! :loony:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad