Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Pundits have highlighted somewhat comparable re-signing situations, with Reinhart as the most common one I have seen. A huge difference in Reinhart's case is that he was undoubtedly very motivated to remain with a club that just won the Stanley Cup and will very likely be a top competitor for it next season. The Flyers cannot offer anything of the sort to entice Konecny to keep his asking price down, and I am growing concerned that this is a somewhat reverse-Gauthier situation: i.e., I'll be glad to stay loyal to this team but this is how much my loyalty will cost above the market rate. The alternative -- trading Konecny -- is the objectively smart move in their present situation but it would also add to the narrative that Philadelphia is not a desired destination. After Jones presented this very ideal as a plank of the new regime's priority list, it must worry ownership to no end that the reverse picture may be emerging.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
dunno about that..he'd probably get paid elsewhere too as with another team he'd have good teammates
If he has a big year and maybe gets traded to a playoff team and also plays well in the postseason, he could get a big deal. The cap will be about $92m in 25-26.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pundits have highlighted somewhat comparable re-signing situations, with Reinhart as the most common one I have seen. A huge difference in Reinhart's case is that he was undoubtedly very motivated to remain with a club that just won the Stanley Cup and will very likely be a top competitor for it next season. The Flyers cannot offer anything of the sort to entice Konecny to keep his asking price down, and I am growing concerned that this is a somewhat reverse-Gauthier situation: i.e., I'll be glad to stay loyal to this team but this is how much my loyalty will cost above the market rate. The alternative -- trading Konecny -- is the objectively smart move in their present situation but it would also add to the narrative that Philadelphia is not a desired destination. After Jones presented this very ideal as a plank of the new regime's priority list, it must worry ownership to no end that the reverse picture may be emerging.

Unforunately, your last point is far more important to the team than rebuilding, which is of absolutely no importance to them.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
TK is gonna dare the Flyers to do the right thing and not extend him. He’s a smart guy and so is his agent. Why wouldn’t you ask over market when you see oodles of other culture guys being overpaid by this team? Not only is TK a culture guy, he’s the team’s leading scorer. If they let him walk, then the Hathaway extension, the Seeler contract, etc. all make no sense.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
One thing about FA is if your guy walks, that money can be used to buy a replacement. There are some guys out there who could take TK’s place in the dollar area that he sees himself. It’s not as if he leaves and the roster would have to go to ****.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
TK is gonna dare the Flyers to do the right thing and not extend him. He’s a smart guy and so is his agent. Why wouldn’t you ask over market when you see oodles of other culture guys being overpaid by this team? Not only is TK a culture guy, he’s the team’s leading scorer. If they let him walk, then the Hathaway extension, the Seeler contract, etc. all make no sense.
The latter two are NEVER going to make sense, unless they can flip them for picks. When does Seeler's NMC expire?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They make no sense in any way.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright
May 26, 2012
Smart point. Overpay me to stay with this loser org or force a trade. Win/win

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright
May 26, 2012
what does it say about the Flyers as a destination for talent when a guy like Krug blocks a trade and hes not even gunna play this year anyway due to surgery...

🤣🤣🤣
We are seeing the Keith Jones magic play out on real time. “Keith has relationships with all the agents and NHL execs which will pay enormous dividends.”

The reality: top prospects bailing, a prominent agent blackballing the org, overpays to scrub players…

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
One thing about FA is if your guy walks, that money can be used to buy a replacement. There are some guys out there who could take TK’s place in the dollar area that he sees himself. It’s not as if he leaves and the roster would have to go to ****.
I mean, if we can use that money and additional cap space to sign Draisaitl next summer then I'm all for letting TK walk.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I'm fairly certain if Jim Jackson is on a random podcast run telling people Konecny wants $10 million, it's because they're scared to death of backlash if they trade him and are trying to set up a "we had no choice" narrative.

That’s a good point. JJ is a company man and I can’t recall many instances of him outing something like this.

Though again, that is assuming Briere is much smarter than what he has shown thus far.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bratt (7.75), Fiala (7.88), Hintz (8.45), Dubois (8.5), Horvat (8.5), Larkin (8.7), Meier (8.8) — if Konecny's camp scoffs at those comparable contracts (adjusting %s), I'm at a loss. Konecny’s scoring is suppressed by the PP shenanigans — he’s probably been a true talent 85-90 point guy the last 2 years. But it is suppressed.

My takeaway? Konecny is not so grateful to be playing for Tortorella and awed by the Culture Club that he doesn't want top dollar. The team is probably stunned he won't take a discount to be a part of what they're building *laugh track*. But they're so boxed in by their lack of high end talent coming out of a rebuild *laugh track* that they need to pay him. If it doesn't get done, the spin will be he wasn't a team first guy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If TK's camp is scoffing at those and shooting that high and refusing to budge, that is TK politely demanding a trade while saving the team the embarrassment of it being explicitly done. Either he gets set free or he gets a hilarious overpayment to make playing for this torture rodeo worthwhile. He wins either way.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Bratt (7.75), Fiala (7.88), Hintz (8.45), Dubois (8.5), Horvat (8.5), Larkin (8.7), Meier (8.8) — if Konecny's camp scoffs at those comparable contracts (adjusting %s), I'm at a loss. Konecny’s scoring is suppressed by the PP shenanigans — he’s probably been a true talent 85-90 point guy the last 2 years. But it is suppressed.

My takeaway? Konecny is not so grateful to be playing for Tortorella and awed by the Culture Club that he doesn't want top dollar. The team is probably stunned he won't take a discount to be a part of what they're building *laugh track*. But they're so boxed in by their lack of high end talent coming out of a rebuild *laugh track* that they need to pay him. If it doesn't get done, the spin will be he wasn't a team first guy.

Still cracks me up how they talk about how they had to get it done "before it got out there" then in the same breath thank all the presidents and GMs for keeping it quiet. The only people who didn't know were the general public. Last time I checked, none of us are sitting in on trade negotiations.

Edit: Mostly responding to the last line in your post.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm fairly certain if Jim Jackson is on a random podcast run telling people Konecny wants $10 million, it's because they're scared to death of backlash if they trade him and are trying to set up a "we had no choice" narrative.

Yeah not on here but I’ve seen others suggest it’s just the agent getting the price out there. Which could make sense in most cases but not when it’s the team’s PbP announcer who’s employed by comcast & regularly runs propaganda for the team during its broadcast. I don’t know why Jim Jackson would be doing Konecny’s camp a favor when it goes against the Flyers.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yeah not on here but I’ve seen others suggest it’s just the agent getting the price out there. Which could make sense in most cases but not when it’s the team’s PbP announcer who’s employed by comcast & regularly runs propaganda for the team during its broadcast. I don’t know why Jim Jackson would be doing Konecny’s camp a favor when it goes against the Flyers.
Things I can guarantee:
The sun will rise in the east
John Tortorella is an insufferable asshole
and Jim Jackson doesn’t say anything about the Flyers without first receiving his script.

They are gonna trade Konecny, the return will likely be disappointing (think good, but not blue chip, prospect and a couple of 2nd round picks) and the party line was that their hands were tied due to TK’s unreasonable contract demands and his impending free agency in 2025

And, when the acquiring team re-ups him a few weeks later for 6 years at 8.25 per, there will be silence from the front office.

Business as usual for the Flyers Politburo.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I do believe the flyers are worried regarding the contract status and lack of movement with TK. Idk if his camp is scoffing at league-wide comparables. They (TKs camp) have the leverage. He’s their clear cut best player and idk if he’s too happy with Torts and the current state of the team. Their negotiation tactic may be that he’s worth 10million if they’re willing to give a 9.7. shooting % winger with one of the worst high output shooting profiles in the league, a max term 6.5 million dollar contract or whatever. Tippett had 60 more shot attempts in 200 minutes less of time (TK was out with injury) and had less goals. I bet their camp just wants to squeeze as much as they possibly can, with a high floor, and if not, then they will go elsewhere.

Philly is not a team FAs are lining to go to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad