Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Catton is one of the most electric, quickest players in the class that you always complain about them avoiding. He’s a top 5 talent. The closest he resembles those two is in taxonomy.

The irony is half the top 10 could be the same nice meh pieces you’re talking about. Lot of questionable ceilings and/or size picks. Flyers might have a chance to save themselves from themselves.

Hage.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
See it’s Demidov or nothing.

Pippin needs to find a way to make it happen. Now that’s something I’d get excited about. Would Chicago be stupid enough to not take him…

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hope The Child makes you cry tonight.

Three nights ago, she wanted me to lay in bed with her. We had a little chat.

The Child: Will you love me forever?

Me: Yes

Child: Even when you're dead?

Me: Yes

Child: Even when I'm dead?

Me: Uh, Yes

Child: Even if I fighted?

Me: What?

Child: If I fighted in World War 3. Because maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't.

Me: Oh my god what are you worrying about??

Child: (Indignant) Excuse me? I'm not talkin about worrying. I'm talkin about love.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You didn't answer, "Yes." Interesting. Were you waiting to hear for which side?

She plans on being on the good side. It isn't established what that is. I will say that she's very annoyed that Virginia was on the wrong side in the Civil War. She asked to have a Union soldier's cap when she was at Gettysburg with the in-laws last week. She also assured them that next time we do a Civil War, Virginia will be on the right side.

Next time??

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not one second. I lurk here to get my prospect info

He slow?

2: Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St. Petersburg - W

The 1B of the draft, I wholeheartedly believe that Ivan Demidov is an equal talent with Celebrini that deserves consideration when drafting first.

Playing with pace and having explosive acceleration are intrinsically linked. The sharper your acceleration curve is, the more it forces defenders to launch their momentum towards you, giving you the advantage to use that against them in a multitude of ways. The inverse to this principle is deceleration, how fast a player can stop on a dime. Being able to stop your momentum almost immediately while another player is barreling towards you with everything they have is one of the best ways to create that same advantage that pure acceleration gives you. The best skaters in the world are the ones that ebb and flow between acceleration and deceleration to make their foes dance to their whims. It’s one of the key traits that leads to a successful delay game, where players in open-ice slow down to buy time, causing all the lanes and pockets of space on the ice to shift.

I am exceptionally high on Demidov’s movement, to an extent that it’s difficult to express just how good I think his mobility is without it coming across as hyperbolic. The skating isn’t flawless. There are moments where you want to see him explode off his outside edges and that burst isn’t there. You can see bits and pieces of his game that just won’t work smoothly against the NHL’s best athletes the way it does against MHL competition. Given his game is dependent on mobility above all else, especially as he loves to routinely weaponize the good ol’ mohawk stance, I can see where some may be concerned.

Where people have zero concern with Demidov is the outrageous skill level. Indisputably the best hands in the draft, it seems as if no possible combination of awkward angling and contorted body positioning exists that inhibits Demidov from pulling off some ludicrous shit with the puck. He’s a freestyle artist in 1v1’s, the type to leave players utterly embarrassed as they’re on the receiving end of yet another highlight reel play. The skill level demands so much respect that players simply cannot approach him the same way as they do others. I wouldn’t say he’s like Patrick Kane stylistically, but I’m left with that same impression that your only method of consistent defense is to overwhelm him with physical pressure. Playing into his game will simply leave you cooked.

So you have a player with tremendous skill blending it in with wild, deceptive movement. Watch him once and you see this kid has no equal this year when it comes to attacking in-motion. The only projection concern is that of his explosivity, but I’m not entirely convinced he’s going to be limited by this. The fundamental pillar of Demidov’s game is his deceleration. Demidov’s brakes are lightning quick, as he’s already changing his attack angle by the time the defender can even react. Combine that with the handling ability and you can see Ivan chain attacks together through multiple defensive layers that would leave you breathless. If what we see today is the peak of Demidov’s explosiveness, then you still have a hell of a skater who will be able to chain together plays in the NHL. Any improvements with explosiveness and Demidov inches closer to the type of attacker fans dream of — a relentless force that bobs and weaves through player after player, chaining moves together that only a few who ever played the game had the talent to pull off.

Source: 2024 NHL Draft Rankings - McGillicuddy Edition

I only watched two games, but I think he’s an interesting conversation because it’s kind of a broader discussion of what explosive means to you.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The cognitive dissonance of Authentics is truly amazing.

Tippett at age 25 had 53 points so he’s a core piece, worth of a $50m extension.

Farabee at age 24 only had 50 points so he should be shipped out ASAP.
Yup. But they also worship at the alter of Torts.

I mean...the audacity of us to be skeptical of Torts coaching Michkov. Mean while...rather than admit we were right, theyll run to Torts' defense when he does demote/scratch mich.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The cognitive dissonance of Authentics is truly amazing.

Tippett at age 25 had 53 points so he’s a core piece, worth of a $50m extension.

Farabee at age 24 only had 50 points so he should be shipped out ASAP.
I would have no problem trading either (or both).

I’d be fine overpaying for Zegras. But more so if we end up with more of a 2C this draft. Not sure we still should trade for Zegras if we get Catton until we see him play.
I'd do it either way. A lot easier to find a 2C in the next few years and if we have two 1Cs that is a GREAT problem to have.

Reactions: Larry44

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Source: 2024 NHL Draft Rankings - McGillicuddy Edition

I only watched two games, but I think he’s an interesting conversation because it’s kind of a broader discussion of what explosive means to you.

I'll venture an answer.

In a general sense let's say.

For highly talented, elite talented players - play drivers, I can let skating go - so to speak. If the health is there, no red flags on further limitations due to injury hx it's something I can overlook.

For players that fall in a more typical "Flyers range" of drafting skill - I value skating as a must. The skill level isn't there, and I just think an above average skater has such an upper hand. Maybe a little too simplistic, or what I just value from an entertainment pov. You can be a team that gets caved for stretches, but if you can have a better chance at touching that puck first, or forcing your opponent to chase in transition...

Might not be the go to strategy for teams, or scouts - alas I am not one. I'm sure there are guys out there that don't match my approach.

Appreciate the question.

I'm also one that highly values quality goaltending, and spending money on it if need be. Was a big fan of the potential of a Fleury/Lehner tandem as an example, even though it obviously didn't work. I get a big portion of the league diminishes the position.

Last thing, and just a fun thought. I'm not a fan of re-signing TK, partly because I don't think they have the best players around him to even get the best out of the player. I know he's seen his point totals grow, but that's a guy that imo has been held back, often first in transition - and in no man's land, because they don't have equal talent of a similar skating ability.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would have no problem trading either (or both).

I'd do it either way. A lot easier to find a 2C in the next few years and if we have two 1Cs that is a GREAT problem to have.
Can’t argue with having two 1Cs. But I do like the smart 2 way center as well. Catton, Zegras, Michkov would already be the most fun team they have ever had

Reactions: BiggE and Larry44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad