The Virtues of Development vs. Winning in the AHL (Read OP)

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I'm not sure if you understand how this actually works in the case of Vancouver and Utica. Vancouver 100% owns the AHL team and every player on the Comets is signed by the Vancouver Canucks. The majority of the players are on NHL contracts but there are also some that are signed to AHL contracts including the three you listed. Since NHL teams can only have 50 players on NHL contracts teams like Vancouver fill out their AHL roster with additional players signed to AHL contracts. The contract technically states Utica Comets and not Vancouver Canucks because it is an AHL contract but that is just a technicality. Vancouver is really signing them because they own the Utica Comets AHL franchise.

The business relationship between Vancouver and Utica is such that Vancouver controls 100% of the hockey operations. This includes every player on the roster, all of the coaches and training staff. The Utica Comets local ownership consisting of Robert Esche and his partners controls all of the day to day operation of the business side of the team such as marketing, ticket sales, arena and concessions management plus transportation and lodging for the team.

At a season ticket holders Q&A meeting with Robert Esche he was asked if he has any say in who plays and who is on the roster and the answer was no. The Utica Comets local ownership has ZERO input on roster decisions.

Ok I actually thought Esche some say in the AHL contracts, well then its Bennings fault (again), still want the prospects to get bigger roles, IMO thats important next season for the Canuck organisation.

arsmaster*

As a Comets STH, I was more concerned about the Comets winning their division / conference than watching Hutton get to develop for 4-5 games.

Negrin actually gave the Comets a better chance to win at that stage of the game.

There is a reason the CANUCKS sent Hutton home for the playoffs.

You should really watch the games.

Hey bud. We all know that season ticket holders want to pay to watch a winner.

None of us really care what you're paying to watch though.

Stick to the Utica board if you feel the need to take shots at Utica's parent club.

It's a farm team dude. Once you realize the reason it's there to the better.

arsmaster*

It's sad to me that this thread exists but since it does the fan club should be able to stick to the other page or their Facebook group.

Uticans have little invested in whether the prospects develop.

Clinton has already stated as much.

So him coming here chopping down the Canucks is completely uncalled for.

Might I add. Ho Hum.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Both Benning and Linden have stated that it is very important to create an expectation of winning at every level and this begins in the AHL so that when players move up to the NHL they carry that expectation with them. I see no indication that this philosophy is a one year thing so I expect them to place an emphasis on winning in the AHL as long as Benning and Linden are running the show.

I fully expect Vancouver to supply Utica again next year with a good combination of veteran leaders along with younger prospects. The NHL teams that load up their AHL teams with all prospects and few quality veteran leaders fail to make the playoffs year end and year out.

I don't mind good veterans like Biega, O´Reilly, Conacher, Sanguinetti, Jeffrey ,Defazio or the guys with loads of NHL experience like Huskins.

Its the signing of the Ehrhardts, LaFranchise, Negrin, Hamilton, Bancks who I think our prospect depth can cover for next year, that means sort of a rebuild and that the team might be slower out of the Gates next season, think they will end up a better team by the time of the playoffs .

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
When Pedan first played for the comets all I heard from you guys was about how lost he looked. 30 games later he turned into one of your better defenseman. You guys are all clamouring for him to go back in to the lineup. Hutton should have been playing every game out of the last 20. If he didn't show any improvement, then yeah sure don't play him in the playoffs. That never happened there's no excuse for it. The Aqullinis bought their own AHL and it was something Gillis had tried to do for many years and the main reason for that is so they could control the development of their players. Not having journeymen AHL'ers playing instead of the prospects. There's no point for the Canucks to even own it really. We might as well just have the Chicago Wolves again.[/QUOTE]

See above posts, Negrin's dad, the Canucks hockey operations people signing "fringe" AHL players to AHL contracts to fill out the winning atmosphere roster.

There's no point for the Canucks to even own it really. We might as well just have the Chicago Wolves again Really? Sure the Wolves would love to have you.

THERE IS NO NEED TO KNOCK THE CANUCKS ORGANIZATION!

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
nah this is a great place for it. He is on topic in my opinion. Doesn't need to be taking ****** shots at the Canucks organization though.

I'm not taking shots at the Canucks organization, only the previous.

Look at the topic of the thread. It is admittedly a tight rope to walk; development vs winning.

There are plenty of knocks on Benning, even on this thread. Not once have I knocked any people in the current organization...from the ownership on down.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
It's sad to me that this thread exists but since it does the fan club should be able to stick to the other page or their Facebook group.

Uticans have little invested in whether the prospects develop.

Clinton has already stated as much.

So him coming here chopping down the Canucks is completely uncalled for.

Might I add. Ho Hum.

See previous post. If you're knocking the Comets, you are knocking the Canucks.

i.e., Travis Green is employed by the Canucks. So is Pat Conacher. So, I guess, is John Negrins father.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Says who ? You go on and on and on about that. In coach Greens opinion that is not the case. I think he's a little more accomplished than yourself. He felt Hutton wasn't ready yet ? What's there not to understand other than you will not accept this ?

Not at this stage of Hutton's development.

Did you actually see any of the games?

Green may be more qualified than you to make these decisions.

lets see if i can make this clear

nobody gives a **** how much experience the coach has at making bad decisions

As a Comets STH, I was more concerned about the Comets winning their division / conference than watching Hutton get to develop for 4-5 games.

Negrin actually gave the Comets a better chance to win at that stage of the game.

im 100% sure he watches more of the comets' games than you do.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Utica locals/fans are honestly a distraction to the actual philosophical discussion and are dragging it off-topic. They don't have an interest in the Canucks outlook, and If the prospect development doesn't overlap with their home team winnig, then they don't care for it.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Utica locals/fans are honestly a distraction to the actual philosophical discussion. They don't have an interest in the Canucks outlook, and If the prospect development doesn't overlap with their home team winnig, then they don't care for it.

Agreed. Obviously local Utica fans would rather have a competitive team than develop prospects. They're invested in their team, not ours.

But this is a Canucks board. The Canucks own their farm team. The purpose of which said team is to develop their prospects. From my perspective, I'd rather see our prospects play more in bigger roles.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Yeah the way I really do gifs is recording the radio and for some reason video pops out :help:

Just because we don't share the same opinion doesn't mean you can question whether my opinion is valid. Of course I watch the game, you know that everyone knows that.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Yeah the way I really do gifs is recording the radio and for some reason video pops out :help:

Just because we don't share the same opinion doesn't mean you can question whether my opinion is valid. Of course I watch the game, you know that everyone knows that.

Nor should you, or anyone else on this thread, question is my opinion is valid.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Greener is a CANUCKS employee.

yeah lol i have deep respect for ALL canucks employees. haha jk

How are you 100% SURE about anything?

because win tha game watches more than 100% of every single comets game

Nor should you, or anyone else on this thread, question is my opinion is valid.

im questioning the way you arent able to reply to people without posting 9 times, the way you flame everyone that disagrees with you and the way you take offense to people calling the comets a farm team

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As a bystander to all of this current rigamarole it strikes me as humorous at how hot Vancouver posters are becoming to someone questioning their judgement and opinions, but found it amazing when Comets people did the same when they were receiving the same treatment.

I don't know why everyone can't just respect one another's opinions and judgements and then agree to disagree when it's obvious minds won't change.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

As a bystander to all of this current rigamarole it strikes me a humorous at how hot Vancouver posters are becoming to someone questioning their judgement and opinions, but found it amazing when Comets people did the same when they were receiving the same treatment.

I don't know why everyone can't just respect one another's opinions and judgements and then agree to disagree when it's obvious minds won't change.
Because Utica posters commenting in here have ZERO affinity to the Canucks. That's why.

Why the heck would I really care what your opinions are on the value of winning vs development. Clinton has already spoken for you STH's.

Vancouver fans don't get **** out of utica winning. We want our prospects to develop.

With regards to Vancouver making the calls: I don't agree with much from Vancouver management so I don't see why this situation would change that.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Because Utica posters commenting in here have ZERO affinity to the Canucks. That's why.

Why the heck would I really care what your opinions are on the value of winning vs development. Clinton has already spoken for you STH's.

Vancouver fans don't get **** out of utica winning. We want our prospects to develop.

With regards to Vancouver making the calls: I don't agree with much from Vancouver management so I don't see why this situation would change that.

You are painting an entire fan base with the same brush based on the comments of a single fan. The appreciation for the Vancouver Canucks is quite large among Comets fans many of whom look forward to watching these kids continuing their careers in the NHL.

Everyone in Utica has their NHL allegiance to the team they cheered on for years but I think its save to say that Vancouver is the favorite western conference team for a large majority of Comets fans and that support continues to grow.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

The Comets had to do some winning to get into the playoffs. Do you see the Utica playoff run as utterly inconsequential for prospect development? I'm thinking it's a step up from regular season intensity, and probably good for the development of Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Virtanen, Grenier, Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, and Markstrom (as I see it the legit NHL prospects currently skating with Utica).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

First off, Clinton speaks for himself. That was a blatantly ignorant statement from a guy whom I have respected for all of my time on this site (2 years and running). Does that mean any poster from Vancouver speaks for all of you, yourself included? I think not.

As to Comets developing your prospects. That's what they do. Many are in the lineup on a regular basis. As to the post season additions, that argument has been fought for weeks now. The ones not playing will all be in Utica next season and get a full scale effort in being developed. The only one not playing who won't have that luxury is McCann. He won't be old enough. My bet he is back in Jrs. His development is currently practicing, getting in game shape (which he wasn't when he arrived), and still has hopefully preparing for at least 5 more games in order to get a look see.

We do care about the prospects. We love them and hope to see them progress to the Canucks where we'll get to watch them on the tube. Utica winning is helping many of your prospects develop, just not every single one of them at this very moment. The difference in the opinion of winning vs getting every young pup available into the lineup is where this whole ball of wax began. It apparently won't ever be settled and people of different views are to be ignored and disregarded for life. That's really sad. You and I have agreed on many things and disagreed on many things, yet still, here we are.

Sometimes some posts can try your patience or even incite blind rage, but it's just someone's opinion or once in a while the post of a person who just wants to be an ******* and knows they are tripping your mindset. It's wise to sit back, take a breath, and realize when someone is yanking your chain. Blow them off and move on. YOU know that!

I plan to be here the rest of this season and all the seasons to follow. Look forward to reading your posts, agreeing with some and disagreeing with others. I thought that was the purpose of a discussion board. We all know how to press the ignore button.

arsmaster*

The Comets had to do some winning to get into the playoffs. Do you see the Utica playoff run as utterly inconsequential for prospect development? I'm thinking it's a step up from regular season intensity, and probably good for the development of Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Virtanen, Grenier, Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, and Markstrom (as I see it the legit NHL prospects currently skating with Utica).

Thank goodness for injuries. Jake wouldn't make that list otherwise.

Besides the only hard line approach I've taken in this thread is that next season has a larger focus on development. This year can be the contending year.

I want as few riff raff ahlers as possible down there next year.

I'm not saying throw the season but play the kids more. Play more kids. Yo-yo kids from Kalamazoo once in awhile.

This is directed at Canucks management, because I love having a good fan base who game report for us but I really couldn't care any less for their opinions on winning vs developing in the AHL. They don't have a vested interest in the Canucks. Their opinion on this certain topic is not relevant to me.

arsmaster*

Bad goalie: you expect mccann's game shape to carry over 16 months?

Simply put getting into "game shape" before the offseason sounds pretty silly IMO. Same reason Hutton is no longer there. You can get in shape anywhere.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Thank goodness for injuries. Jake wouldn't make that list otherwise.

Besides the only hard line approach I've taken in this thread is that next season has a larger focus on development. This year can be the contending year.

I want as few riff raff ahlers as possible down there next year.

I'm not saying throw the season but play the kids more. Play more kids. Yo-yo kids from Kalamazoo once in awhile.

This is directed at Canucks management, because I love having a good fan base who game report for us but I really couldn't care any less for their opinions on winning vs developing in the AHL. They don't have a vested interest in the Canucks. Their opinion on this certain topic is not relevant to me.

I think you're mistaken about what AHL fans care about. I think opinions vary from one fan to the next, and that some are quite interested in development.

With respect to next year, would you be satisfied with decisions that jeopardized a playoff position in favour of playing prospects? Would it be more important that more prospects get regular season time than having somewhat fewer get playoff time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad