The Vet vs. Prospect theory

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It's got nothing to do with regression. Kasper is significantly better than Veleno, Fichser, Motte, and Berggren. He should have a spot above all of those guys.
Based upon what? What do you base this upon that Marco Kasper is better than those four guys today. He clearly is tracking to be... but completely ignoring his draft and prospect pedigree can you with certainty tell me on September 26th at 2:12 PM that he is a better player for a game tomorrow. That's how coaches operate.

And if the Wings want Kasper to be the 2C behind Larkin... what does it matter if he's slightly better than the bottom of the roster guys today? Shouldn't you want him being exposed to situations and minutes that would encourage his development to put the team on his back? To build his offensive chops playing 19-20 minutes a night instead of asking him to play 8-10 minutes a night in Detroit?

This is like the people who absolutely freaked out when the Wings called up Joakim Andersson instead of Anthony Mantha way back when during their last couple playoff "runs". "Oh but Mantha's so much better at hockey!" But Andersson could play center and played a defensively responsible game which is what they were lacking at that moment from whoever got hurt.

• Love
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Based upon what? What do you base this upon that Marco Kasper is better than those four guys today. He clearly is tracking to be... but completely ignoring his draft and prospect pedigree can you with certainty tell me on September 26th at 2:12 PM that he is a better player for a game tomorrow. That's how coaches operate.

And if the Wings want Kasper to be the 2C behind Larkin... what does it matter if he's slightly better than the bottom of the roster guys today? Shouldn't you want him being exposed to situations and minutes that would encourage his development to put the team on his back? To build his offensive chops playing 19-20 minutes a night instead of asking him to play 8-10 minutes a night in Detroit?

This is like the people who absolutely freaked out when the Wings called up Joakim Andersson instead of Anthony Mantha way back when during their last couple playoff "runs". "Oh but Mantha's so much better at hockey!" But Andersson could play center and played a defensively responsible game which is what they were lacking at that moment from whoever got hurt.
Based on the fact that he was far better than any of those players have ever been in his one single pre season game.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You should always play the better player. That's it. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Kasper is better than everybody else in the bottom 6. He would be the best option for 3C today.
I don’t think he’s a better player than Copp or Compher as of today.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He isn't. People just like to lose their shit over one preseason game against AHL+ competition.
I think he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation for a roster spot, but wholly hell to people read a lot into a super small sample size. I should have bought futures on preseason over reactions.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This isn't about Motte, IMO, this is about when this team decides to cut bait on Rasmussen.

Rasmussen was probably the best defensive forward on Detroit last year. He's someone I'm fine keeping around in the bottom 6. There are 5 other players in the bottom 6 I want gone before him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

He isn't. People just like to lose their shit over one preseason game against AHL+ competition.
I think he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation for a roster spot, but wholly hell to people read a lot into a super small sample size. I should have bought futures on preseason over reactions.

He was on the ice against Bedard's line a lot. Bertuzzi, Bedard, Hall, Foligno, Nazer, Teravainen. They aren't exactly all stars but it's really disingenuous to say he was up against AHL competition.

Better than Compher now? Probably not. Better than Copp? I'd say a fair bit. Better skater, better passer, better stickhandler, better shot, way more physical. Copp is better on faceoffs. I think Kasper could at the minimum match Copp's production from last year with similar icetime while tilting the ice more in the right direction.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Rasmussen was probably the best defensive forward on Detroit last year. He's someone I'm fine keeping around in the bottom 6. There are 5 other players in the bottom 6 I want gone before him.
Right, but that 3rd line winger spot is what is blocking young forwards, since the Wings don't want young guys on the 4th line. Copp isn't going anywhere any time soon. And I don't see the Wings as wanting to use Rasmussen (or Copp) on the 4th line, so it's a conundrum. Something has to give.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was on the ice against Bedard's line a lot. Bertuzzi, Bedard, Hall, Foligno, Nazer, Teravainen. They aren't exactly all stars but it's really disingenuous to say he was up against AHL competition.

Better than Compher now? Probably not. Better than Copp? I'd say a fair bit. Better skater, better passer, better stickhandler, better shot, way more physical. Copp is better on faceoffs. I think Kasper could at the minimum match Copp's production from last year with similar icetime while tilting the ice more in the right direction.
I don’t think so, and I think Copp would have been a lot more dominant at the AHL level if we are talking about hypotheticals where they switch places last year.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Don’t remember how much Gust was signed for this offseason, but I’ve never been a fan.

I understood why he was signed: to directly replace Ghost on the PP, but I would much prefer Ed or Seider there on the PP instead.

With that being said, if AlJo isn’t able to beat him out for the final spot then I think it serves more towards how AlJo hasn’t developed properly or hasn’t hit his full potential yet.

I don’t think the tiebreaker goes to the vet in this case. I think Gust does get waived or traded if AlJo is finally ready to make the jump.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I don’t think so, and I think Copp would have been a lot more dominant at the AHL level if we are talking about hypotheticals where they switch places last year.

Copp was one of our worst forwards last season. 3rd or 4th worst amongst the regular forwards from last year. Was the boat anchor on his shutdown line with Fischer and Rasmussen where plays died on his stick in the offensive zone. Copp has turned into Frans f***ing Nielsen 3 years ahead of schedule.

Finished the season with 9 points his final 30 games. Kasper was getting warmed up in his final 30.
Andrew Copp 2023-24 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

If Kasper could not match 33 points in 79 , 15 minutes a night in the NHL then yeah, total waste of an 8th overall pick. I think Kasper could match or exceed that. And not based off a single preseason game. Based off watching most of his career for the last 3 seasons.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Copp was one of our worst forwards last season. 3rd or 4th worst amongst the regular forwards from last year. Was the boat anchor on his shutdown line with Fischer and Rasmussen where plays died on his stick in the offensive zone. Copp has turned into Frans f***ing Nielsen 3 years ahead of schedule.

Finished the season with 9 points his final 30 games. Kasper was getting warmed up in his final 30.
Andrew Copp 2023-24 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

If Kasper could not match 33 points in 79 , 15 minutes a night in the NHL then yeah, total waste of an 8th overall pick. I think Kasper could match or exceed that. And not based off a single preseason game. Based off watching most of his career for the last 3 seasons.
Copp is Compher with worse wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad