Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
It's not a murder case

Edit: the case it's self wont take very long, but Varly will probably be on probation for few years and will probably be enrolled in some kind of anger management program which will probably last until summer.

Didn't know he was guilty...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's completely irrelevant. The legal system takes forever to exhaust. Did you see how much time is in between now and the next hearing? 2 months. Look up any other high profile but low charge case and see how long that took to get to trial. That one Don Vito sexual assault case took 14 months to get to trial.

Also Varly has the same lawyer as Vito did.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's completely irrelevant. The legal system takes forever to exhaust. Did you see how much time is in between now and the next hearing? 2 months. Look up any other high profile but low charge case and see how long that took to get to trial. That one Don Vito sexual assault case took 14 months to get to trial. Of course a plea deal could happen at any time but if they really want to take this to trial it will take forever. Look at how long it took the DA to file the charge, citing how long it took to get the translations. If they need to depose numerous Russians it will only take longer.

I expect Varly to plea guilty I guess, because I don't think he wants this to go to a trial, I don't think his lawyer would want this to go to a trial either.

It's just a misdemeanor charge, a plea deal would probably involve a fine, a probation and a program of some kind.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I expect Varly to plea guilty I guess, because I don't think he wants this to go to a trial, I don't think his lawyer would want this to go to a trial either.

It's just a misdemeanor charge, a plea deal would probably involve a fine, a probation and a program of some kind.

If he's not guilty, or doesn't believe he's guilty, then why would he enter a plea of "Guilty" to try and get a plea-deal? Doesn't make sense.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If he's not guilty, or doesn't believe he's guilty, then why would he enter a plea of "Guilty" to try and get a plea-deal? Doesn't make sense.

He turned himself in, so he must think he's guilty. I don't think he's guilty of all the things she accused him of, but he's probably guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He turned himself in, so he must think he's guilty. I don't think he's guilty of all the things she accused him of, but he's probably guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence.
He turned himself in because there was a warrant out for his arrest...If you're accused of a crime the best thing to do is go straight to the police. Not wait for them to come to you :facepalm:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Or he heard of the charges and didn't want to make things worse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

You don't understand how the legal system works, do you?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Just because he turned himself in doesn't automatically mean that he's guilty of anything (also doesn't mean he isn't innocent either).

He could have very well determined that there's no sense in NOT turning himself in, which I think is far worse than just dealing with it.

Still need to remember that he's innocent until proven guilty, and the Prosecutor is going to have to prove it in the face of all these news articles coming out that she "set him up".

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He turned himself in because there was a warrant out for his arrest...If you're accused of a crime the best thing to do is go straight to the police. Not wait for them to come to you :facepalm:

LOL what?

So I can just choose someone I don't like, say he or she did something to me, and they will issue a warrant for their arrest?

Brilliant.

They don't issue warrants just because someone said someone else did something to them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
LOL what?

So I can just choose someone I don't like, say he or she did something to me, and they will issue a warrant for their arrest?

Brilliant.

They don't issue warrants just because someone said someone else did something to them.

Actually they do... especially in domestic violence incidents. In most states there is a mandatory arrest in those cases, regardless of the proof.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Actually they do... especially in domestic violence incidents. In most states there is a mandatory arrest in those cases, regardless of the proof.

You nailed it. DV requires a mandatory arrest. I absolutely hate DV it's the ultimate weapon that women have against men.

DV does happen, but not as frequently as we are led to believe by the media.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
LOL what?

Brilliant.

What henchman said...In Colorado, in cases of Domestic Violence, a warrant for arrest is issued automatically. The girl had to supply no evidence to the police to get them to arrest Varlamov.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Wait, so in this case they didn't even try to contact Varly 1st to hear his side of the story, they just issued a warrant because she told the police Varly beat her up?

If that's a rule in Colorado, sorry but that is probably the dumbest thing I've heard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wait, so in this case they didn't even try to contact Varly 1st to hear his side of the story, they just issued a warrant because she told the police Varly beat her up?

If that's a rule in Colorado, sorry but that is probably the dumbest thing I've heard.

That is exactly the case.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

That is indeed the case. Varlamov basically had no choice but to turn himself in.

In the cases of Domestic Violence it is very easy to make a false claim. I recall reading an article from a criminal defense lawyer just after I heard Varlamov was arrested where he stated even if it is proven that a false accusation of DV was made the person making the accusation, even if lying, cannot be prosecuted. The girl literally has nothing to lose from this. Even if she is lying, she's already made money from all the interviews she's done.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Varly's account of the events is nowhere in the police report, they didn't even speak to him.

And generally turning yourself indicates cooperation, which can imply nothing to hide. Waiting for the police to come and find you implies irresponsibility and trying to run ftom things. Of course because you turn yourself in doesn't guarantee innocence but acting responsibly rather than not is actually a positive thing when the case is presented.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's a reason those laws exist people. Do your research. Often a battered woman will recant her story before charges can be pressed or an arrest made, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't been battered.

The mandatory arrest law at least affords her relative safety for a time so she might be inclined to press charges without the guy breathing down her neck. The law may not be perfect, but there's no way it can be in these cases.

Keep in mind with a mandatory arrest law the woman can be arrested instead. That's what happened between actors Emma Roberts and Evan Peters recently when police were called and it was him with the bloody nose. It's if the police get called and there is evidence of domestic violence that the law gets invoked.

I get that there is evidence that this girl may be a nutcase, and Varly may well be innocent, but I don't think that justifies some of the sexist meathead generalizations going on in here. DV laws are not "weapons" to be used by women against men, people. They are laws meant to protect battered women from abusive men. I'm not a mod, but I kindly ask that some of you tone it down a bit please. Quit using one particular case to go after DV laws or make generalizations about women. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
There's a reason those laws exist people. Do your research. Often a battered woman will recant her story before charges can be pressed or an arrest made, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't been battered.

The mandatory arrest law at least affords her relative safety for a time so she might be inclined to press charges without the guy breathing down her neck. The law may not be perfect, but there's no way it can be in these cases.

Keep in mind with a mandatory arrest law the woman can be arrested instead. That's what happened between actors Emma Roberts and Evan Peters recently when police were called and it was him with the bloody nose. It's if the police get called and there is evidence of domestic violence that the law gets invoked.

I get that there is evidence that this girl may be a nutcase, and Varly may well be innocent, but I don't think that justifies some of the sexist meathead generalizations going on in here. DV laws are not "weapons" to be used by women against men, people. They are laws meant to protect battered women from abusive men. I'm not a mod, but I kindly ask that some of you tone it down a bit please. Quit using one particular case to go after DV laws or make generalizations about women. You have no idea what you're talking about.
I believe the discussion regarding DV laws stemmed from the the_fan believing Varlamov was guilty simply because he turned himself into the police and thus there was evidence that he was guilty. I am more than aware of why DV laws in Colorado exist in the manner in which they do but nor does that necessarily make them right. I believe only 21 states have mandatory arrest laws. I personally detest the law as it is basically making the assumption that a person is guilty with absolutely zero proof. While by no means does it mean that no crime was committed, Varlamov being arrested does not mean anything as the_fan believed it did.

While obviously these laws are meant to protect battered, abused, and scared woman, they certainly can also be twisted with a malicious intent. It is by no means a perfect situation either way.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I believe the discussion regarding DV laws stemmed from the the_fan believing Varlamov was guilty simply because he turned himself into the police and thus there was evidence that he was guilty. I am more than aware of why DV laws in Colorado exist in the manner in which they do but nor does that necessarily make them right. I believe only 21 states have mandatory arrest laws. I personally detest the law as it is basically making the assumption that a person is guilty with absolutely zero proof. While by no means does it mean that no crime was committed, Varlamov being arrested does not mean anything as the_fan believed it did.

While obviously these laws are meant to protect battered, abused, and scared woman, they certainly can also be twisted with a malicious intent. It is by no means a perfect situation either way.

Well I'm sorry, but where I am, people don't turn themselves in if they are 100% innocent. And police don't arrest someone without hearing his or her side of the story 1st, or unless there are witnesses or sufficient evidence against the accused.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Well I'm sorry, but where I am, people don't turn themselves in if they are 100% innocent.

That is absolute hogwash. Varlamov may be guilty but there is absolutely no conclusion that can be drawn from him turning himself in.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, the very first thing you will do (innocent or guilty) is call your lawyer who will immediately recommend you turn yourself in. It is ridiculous to draw a negative conclusion from someone who does the right thing. I'm betting you believe anyone who pleads the fifth is guilty too because you think the fifth amendment was meant to protect the guilty.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That is absolute hogwash. Varlamov may be guilty but there is absolutely no conclusion that can be drawn from him turning himself in.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, the very first thing you will do (innocent or guilty) is call your lawyer who will immediately recommend you turn yourself in. It is ridiculous to draw a negative conclusion from someone who does the right thing. I'm betting you believe anyone who pleads the fifth is guilty too because you think the fifth amendment was meant to protect the guilty.

All I'm saying is that I'm very surprised by the Colorado law, because it's different here in California.

I don't think I've ever heard of warrants being issued based on one person saying another person beat her up without questioning both parties 1st, and a person in this case Varly, had to turn himself in because he had no choice, and no one heard his story to begin with.

Seems like a mickey mouse law to me.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
All I'm saying is that I'm very surprised by the Colorado law, because it's different here in California.

I don't think I've ever heard of warrants being issued based on one person saying another person beat her up without questioning both parties 1st, and a person in this case Varly, had to turn himself in because he had no choice, and no one heard his story to begin with.

That is not what you said. You said innocent people don't turn themselves in, not (just) that the law is problematic.

BTW, given your seeming unfamiliarity with the legal system, I'm skeptical of your claim that the Colorado and California law differ. They may, but I certainly wouldn't trust you on the matter.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

Here's a good reference, if you're interested.

Another thing you should consider is that she doesn't speak English. How do you evaluate her complaints at least a day after the fact for probable cause? I think you have to err on the side of caution.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Turning himself in was about the legal response to a warrant, the law here in CO is just that. You are required to turn yourself in if you know a warrant. Not turning yourself in, and say flying off to play hockey just invites the DA to charge you with flight to avoid prosecution, another crime. Crazy ? Maybe. Varly will get his " day in court", or plea out.
What do I think, opinion?
He got drunk, something happened at some point here or in Russia with the woman. She got coached or counseled to call police. He probably gets a suspended sentence with some alcoholic program and small fine and perhaps a new girlfriend. OPINION
not fact just my take.... If he is guilty that's about right, if innocent he still might suffer, my brother got charged with abuse against his young son who was almost his size for pretty much nothing. No bruising hitting etc. to prove his innocence would cost a bunch of money, so he pled to minor charge. BS but that's Co family law. Trust me I was not called in, I live around the corner or the situation would probably have seen me in jail, and I have zero incidents of violence since I was in fight at twelve years old in my hometown. So what's my point, the legal system in regard to DV cases is strict to protect women and children, and sometimes the innocent get caught up, mostly it's the guilty and in thus case we will perhaps never hear the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad