Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ryan Parker says the DA hasn't even received the case yet. He said he's watching it very closely and will tweet when they get the case.

I guess this is what they mean by the right to a speedy trial.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think he was plain tired of supporting her 100% and was no longer in love with her

Assuming he was in love with her in the first place. From her own admission, she bounced around a lot, and would meet up with him at different times of the year. They might not even have been boyfriend/girlfriend for all we know, that is only her description. She says she has tattoos of his name, that's a little obsessive. There could be a lot to this story that Varly doesn't want to get into because his lawyers are advising him to say nothing about it publicly until it's resolved.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I guess this is what they mean by the right to a speedy trial.

TBH, this Amendment is a farce. There's rarely a speedy trial in the US. Very few defendants take advantage(because in most cases, more time to prepare for a trial is better for them). Also, it doesn't apply to someone until they are actually charged with a crime. Since the DA hasn't received the case yet, it usually means the PD is still investigating or compiling their findings to pass along to the DA before the DA decides whether to proceed with pressing charges or not.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Can't they just hold her in contempt of court and throw her in jail if she refuses? Maybe she can run off to Russia.....

Back to Varly though, would anyone really want this to play out like that? That he settles this out of court by paying her off and in exchange, she refuses to testify and goes back to Russia? That just makes him look guilty. I would hope that the legal system decides whether he's innocent or guilty. Either by not charging him, by eventually dropping the charges and clearing him, or by a jury finding him innocent.

If it gets this whole thing over and done with? Yeah.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 4m
Just in: The hearing for #avalanche goalie Semyon #Varlamov has been cont. to Dec. 2. Denver DA has yet to get case from police.

I can't tell what this means. Basically it will at least over a month before Varly has a hearing and the police haven't even turned over the case yet... for all the lawyers, is this normal for a domestic violence case?

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
Just in: The hearing for #avalanche goalie Semyon #Varlamov has been cont. to Dec. 2. Denver DA has yet to get case from police.

And the avs are going to let him play during the legal process?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

/sarcasm

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I can't tell what this means. Basically it will at least over a month before Varly has a hearing and the police haven't even turned over the case yet... for all the lawyers, is this normal for a domestic violence case?

Almost seems like there should be a limit on these things, that it kinda has to be submitted in a timely manner otherwise too bad so sad, case dismissed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Almost seems like there should be a limit on these things, that it kinda has to be submitted in a timely manner otherwise too bad so sad, case dismissed.

I don't know how long this is supposed to take, but the longer it does take, the more I think this ends up with nothing being filed. If it was cut and dry that Varly was guilty, you would think that charges would have been presented by now.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just wonder what the DA has to file this charges against Varly?

Some girl (in this case his GF) who said Varly done
horrible things to her?

Varly turning himself in for domestic violence which is a regular thing in US?

Like this would be the 1st time some female has accused of pro athlete doing stuff to her.

I don't think this is going anywhere near a trial. I don't see a case here.

Edit: Since Varly did turn himself in, the nonsense kidnapping charge will be dropped, Varly will get probation and probably some anger management programs of some sort, and will pay some fines for the domestic violence and that's about it.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Very curious indeed. I don't know the typical timing on these cases either but you'd think if the evidence was there to at least go forward with charges it would have happened sooner than later. Something else I heard brought up is nowhere in that police report had anyone spoken to Varly and thats standard procedure to speak to both parties when filing a police report. Either way this is just an example why if this thing does get to trial it will take forever, a year at least.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Very curious indeed. I don't know the typical timing on these cases either but you'd think if the evidence was there to at least go forward with charges it would have happened sooner than later. Something else I heard brought up is nowhere in that police report had anyone spoken to Varly and thats standard procedure to speak to both parties when filing a police report. Either way this is just an example why if this thing does get to trial it will take forever, a year at least.

In order for a case to go to a trial there needs to be sufficient evidence or witnesses of someone's accusations. It can't just be based on hearsay. Otherwise anyone could take anyone to a trial.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know that, I mean IF it gets to the point of having a trial. There are probably 100 steps to get there between now and then IF it happens. My other point is you'd think there would need to be proper evidence to even arrest someone but maybe not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know that, I mean IF it gets to the point of having a trial. There are probably 100 steps to get there between now and then IF it happens. My other point is you'd think there would need to be proper evidence to even arrest someone but maybe not.

I don't think that is the case with domestic violence cases. I believe there is a mandatory arrest of the accused.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Without knowing what happened of course, I can somewhat guess what went on between them, also again, being familiar with the temper of Russian women.

She says Varly asked her to come live with him in US where she had to give up a modeling gig in Japan? I believe. Which is probably true.

Then they got into a fight or fought alot who knows, they probably did get physical and hit eachother and just had a fight when Varly turned himself in. Also Varly probably did kick her out and didn't want to be with her anymore.

After all this, she got so angry that she just wanted a revenge in a worst way, so she made up whole bunch of exaggerated stories about what Varly did to her?

Am I close?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought the lawyer he had was a good one? Or is Parker behind on the fact that his agent isn't his lawyer?

He was. Jack Rotole is one of the best in Colorado, but it could be for a simple reason that Rotole isn't the best domestic violence attorney (as I understand it, Rotole, Rotole and Blanchard is one of the best firms in that area), or it could be something worse.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
He was. Jack Rotole is one of the best in Colorado, but it could be for a simple reason that Rotole isn't the best domestic violence attorney (as I understand it, Rotole, Rotole and Blanchard is one of the best firms in that area), or it could be something worse.

Yeah, I'm hoping he maybe just decided to get a lawyer who specializes in domestic cases, or something like that.

Side note: Where does Saul Goodman rank as far as domestic violence attorneys go?

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm hoping he maybe just decided to get a lawyer who specializes in domestic cases, or something like that.

Side note: Where does Saul Goodman rank as far as domestic violence attorneys go?

If Saul were there, the PR would be on the side of Varlamov.

To everyone saying that arrests should only be made with evidence, domestic violence is really a different thing. If you don't make an arrest automatically, you give leverage to the possible abuser and can create a situation where they do it again that night after the cops leave. If anything, it's good to just diffuse a situation. When people are reporting domestic abuse, there's usually a need to separate the individuals. Yeah, it's unfortunate that an innocent person may get arrested, but that's what the courts are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad