Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
I don't understand the poor me he threw me out and I can't afford anything stuff. If you got beat up with a bicycle, drowned, and knocked unconscious than who cares how rude he was when he dumped you?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
sounds like she wasn't working for a year. "Model" sounds so serious and rich, but I've seen it used other times as the equivalency of being pretty and darn near unemployed. Every woman in their low to mid 20's seems to be a "part time model"

Yeah, I said it earlier, but at 5'2" she can't be much of a model.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Edit: And apparently she has video proof of the condition Varlamov was in at 10pm as well as many friends who knew about the alleged beatings...a lot of her allegations should be fairly easy to prove.

Alright so let me get this straight... She said that she didn't know anyone and that's why she called her cosmetician (the attorney's fiancée) and why she's living with them, yet she has "many friends" who knew about the alleged beatings. So where were these friends when she was "left out with $0"?

Something is fishy here.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, I said it earlier, but at 5'2" she can't be much of a model.

I can't imagine her being a photo/fashion model. It's more likely she was working as a bar hostess in Hong Kong.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't understand the poor me he threw me out and I can't afford anything stuff. If you got beat up with a bicycle, drowned, and knocked unconscious than who cares how rude he was when he dumped you?

I've tried to be so politically correct in bringing up considerations for her defense and her background, but I'm going to take the politician muzzle off here for a second.

First of all, this is a complete generalization and stereotype and does not fit 100% of the population (because I do know some very ambitious eastern european girls), but Eastern European women are generally less educated than their male counterparts in that part of the world. Outside of the main cities, most of Eastern Europe is farming villages and turns into 3rd world about 30 mins outside of the city. The women are usually incredibly reliant on the men. In families most of the attention is given to the boys to succeed and the women are expected to stay home and take care of the babies and the farm. It is very much like the 1950's culture in the US, except without the wealth and growth.

I think folks are taking for granted a LOT of things here -

1 - This woman really doesn't seem to speak any English at all and I believe (may be wrong) came from rural Russia. That complicates things when you're trying to make a buck. She probably chased modeling aspirations in Hong Kong, and was lured out of Russia with promises of hope and money - not an uncommon thing at all. When she cancelled the contract and came to the US, she probably did have some money. She lived here for a year. Most Americans can't get by with more than paycheck to paycheck. I'm pretty sure she was out of money legitimately. She could not work in the US without a work visa unless she wanted to get paid under the table somehow. While people are saying that she is taking Varly for his money, she probably came over here with a mutual agreement between both of them that he would support her 100%. He asked her to come after all, and after his experiences I'd be shocked if he didn't know she wasn't going to be able to work for a while.

2 - Again, not speaking English complicates things. She probably had no idea where services are. Even simple things like 911 may not exist where she is from. To believe that she knew where the police station was, the battered women's shelter, or any services is a stretch. She probably could barely pronounce which street she was on. She is basically 100% reliant on Varly if she's not working.

3 - If she's truly a domestic violence victim, she's going to go back every time. It's common behavior to forgive and forget and come right back for any victim - that's the true sign of a repeated abuse victim. I really do think the suitcase was the tipping point though because she didn't have anywhere to go. Again, 100% reliant on him.

4 - My wife speaks Romanian, and I can tell you from experience - she CLINGS to anyone who speaks her language or is from her general area of Europe. It doesn't surprise me at all she went to her friends house. The guy being a lawyer probably has absolutely 0% to do with anything. The only reason he's probably representing her is that he is pissed off that his wife's friend may have been beaten.

5 - I think the media blitz early on and the interviews from her were to secure cash immediately for her to use. They were cheesy and not very well organized. I think she was offered money and she took it. She had little choice but to do that.

Anyways, just general thoughts. Sorry if I offended anyone but living with someone from those parts of the land and visiting my wife's relatives there - I have come to understand a lot of weird cultural differences between the countries. The level of intellect and independence here is night and day compared to a majority of the population over there. Everyone's not so lucky to have a great education and live in the country we do. It's taken for granted all the time.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
At 5'2", it is extremely doubtful that she is a professional model. She might be a part-time amateur but a model agency is not going to waste time with someone at that height.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
2 - Again, not speaking English complicates things. She probably had no idea where services are. Even simple things like 911 may not exist where she is from. To believe that she knew where the police station was, the battered women's shelter, or any services is a stretch. She probably could barely pronounce which street she was on. She is basically 100% reliant on Varly if she's not working.

3 - If she's truly a domestic violence victim, she's going to go back every time. It's common behavior to forgive and forget and come right back for any victim - that's the true sign of a repeated abuse victim. I really do think the suitcase was the tipping point though because she didn't have anywhere to go. Again, 100% reliant on him.

Well she's been in America for a year. She must have picked up a bit of English here and there.

She went alone to Hong Kong, so she's used to handling by herself foreign conditions. In Hong Kong, I doubt many speak Russian, yet there she was all by herself.

In her interviews, she said she went to the police in multiple different countries. If she could find the police in the Maldives, I have a hard time believing she wouldn't find the police in the US.

She is technologically savvy... she knows how to use a cell phone, has facebook, etc. She has tools to get around, to find what she wants.

As to the domestic violence, well she mentioned it was the 5th time in her interview and did elaborate on the other times, which were all outside the US. Usually, in a repeated abuse victim pattern, domestic violence would have happened more than once since she was in the US (for a year?). Now I don't think any violence is acceptable, just saying repeated domestic violence usually happens on a close to daily basis (verbal) with frequent physical episodes.

As to having nowhere to go, in her last interview, she mentions that he offered to book a hotel for her. She turned it down but that's still someplace to go.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Slightly related but not quite.

If you pay your bail as Varly did and are then found to be innocent or that the story was made up do you get your bail refunded by whomever or would he have to take her to court to get her to reimburse him?

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Also interesting thing is that her attorney needs to remind her that Varly drink two cases as she may forget about this. It will be interesting how Police resolves conflicting informations that beating was on 28th of October (as it is in documents) and her informations now that it was on Tuesday (29th).

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis

If you pay your bail as Varly did and are then found to be innocent or that the story was made up do you get your bail refunded by whomever or would he have to take her to court to get her to reimburse him?

By appearing in court, bail is refunded. You can think of it like a deposit that the defendant loses if he/she fails to show up to court.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I always thought that you get your money back the moment you appear to the trial (or the moment the charges get dropped).

My belief was that you pay it to have an incentive to appear toyour trial on your own (and not run away)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I can't find any sources as to how long she was actually in Hong Kong. It could have been days, weeks, or years. All I know is Varly asked her to cancel the contract to be with him.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I didn't want to jump to any conclusions earlier but this latest PR push by her has me convinced she's trawling for dollars. Hell, she called him inadequate. She's hoping to make it awkward so it's easiest for him just to cut a check. That's why she's being so public about it. And of course private about the proof.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I can't find any sources as to how long she was actually in Hong Kong. It could have been days, weeks, or years. All I know is Varly asked her to cancel the contract to be with him.
Or rather we know that she said it was Varly who ask her to cancel her contract, because he didn't confirms it anywhere. Unless you have some additional inside info.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

There's a lot to be said about how battered women tend to go back to their abusive partners. It happens all the time, and it's very sad.

That being said, the idea that he supposedly beat her many times, and way worse than has happened recently in the states, and then she quit her modeling job to come live with said batterer with literally $0 of her own, and relied completely on Varly for everything even a "bottle of water" is really fishy. I can see someone going back to an abusive partner, but to do so with supposedly absolutely no money of your own just reaks of something not being truthful about that story.

I just don't even think an idiot would do that. They would have some money of their own because they have no idea what could happen going to live with someone who supposedly beat you with a bicycle. They weren't even married. How did she not even have money for a bottle of water like she says without Varly's spending account?

Either she did have her own money, which is an indictment on the whole story because she's making up things to make him seem like a monster, or she somehow inexplicably didn't have anything of her own at all which as an adult is also suspicious because it gives her motive to make this up after her meal ticket gets canceled, and the person she says she wanted to have a family with ended things, cut off her spending account, and she has no career or anything to go back to.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As I've said before it doesn't make sense that HE dumped her if he was the abuser. Not saying its impossible but it doesn't logically fit. why would he do that, why would he provoke the situation seemingly hours later?

Dater has a new podcast up. Some of it was tough to get through but they touch on the Varly subject a bit. He was trying to stay very PC but alluded to he doesn't think Varly gets charged and he even spoke to the girl's lawyer. I still think that's a bit too optimistic due to the power that the DA holds but interesting to note anyway.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As I've said before it doesn't make sense that HE dumped her if he was the abuser. Not saying its impossible but it doesn't logically fit. why would he do that, why would he provoke the situation seemingly hours later?

Dater has a new podcast up. Some of it was tough to get through but they touch on the Varly subject a bit. He was trying to stay very PC but alluded to he doesn't think Varly gets charged and he even spoke to the girl's lawyer. I still think that's a bit too optimistic due to the power that the DA holds but interesting to note anyway.

I've been saying that all along too. It's the first thing that stood out to me. Abusers want control over their woman. They threaten them when they try to leave, and want to keep them around, they don't break up with them. Let alone pack their bags for them, and text them to ask if they can get them a hotel.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

That part sticks out to me as well. Abusers don't like losing control of their victims. They'll treat them like crap, they'll cheat on them, they'll threaten their life if they attempt to leave but never do they dump that person.
That implies not only a loss of interest but a surrender of control.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Thanks, I never understood bail until now.

I always thought it was a price you pay to not spend the time before jail in a cell. Sort of like paying for your freedom but couldn't work out if you got your money back if you were innocent and wouldn't have been in there due to false claims.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ryan Parker says the DA hasn't even received the case yet. He said he's watching it very closely and will tweet when they get the case.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I've tried to be so politically correct in bringing up considerations for her defense and her background, but I'm going to take the politician muzzle off here for a second.

First of all, this is a complete generalization and stereotype and does not fit 100% of the population (because I do know some very ambitious eastern european girls), but Eastern European women are generally less educated than their male counterparts in that part of the world. Outside of the main cities, most of Eastern Europe is farming villages and turns into 3rd world about 30 mins outside of the city. The women are usually incredibly reliant on the men. In families most of the attention is given to the boys to succeed and the women are expected to stay home and take care of the babies and the farm. It is very much like the 1950's culture in the US, except without the wealth and growth.

I think folks are taking for granted a LOT of things here -

1 - This woman really doesn't seem to speak any English at all and I believe (may be wrong) came from rural Russia. That complicates things when you're trying to make a buck. She probably chased modeling aspirations in Hong Kong, and was lured out of Russia with promises of hope and money - not an uncommon thing at all. When she cancelled the contract and came to the US, she probably did have some money. She lived here for a year. Most Americans can't get by with more than paycheck to paycheck. I'm pretty sure she was out of money legitimately. She could not work in the US without a work visa unless she wanted to get paid under the table somehow. While people are saying that she is taking Varly for his money, she probably came over here with a mutual agreement between both of them that he would support her 100%. He asked her to come after all, and after his experiences I'd be shocked if he didn't know she wasn't going to be able to work for a while.

4 - My wife speaks Romanian, and I can tell you from experience - she CLINGS to anyone who speaks her language or is from her general area of Europe. It doesn't surprise me at all she went to her friends house. The guy being a lawyer probably has absolutely 0% to do with anything. The only reason he's probably representing her is that he is pissed off that his wife's friend may have been beaten.

5 - I think the media blitz early on and the interviews from her were to secure cash immediately for her to use. They were cheesy and not very well organized. I think she was offered money and she took it. She had little choice but to do that.

Anyways, just general thoughts. Sorry if I offended anyone but living with someone from those parts of the land and visiting my wife's relatives there - I have come to understand a lot of weird cultural differences between the countries. The level of intellect and independence here is night and day compared to a majority of the population over there. Everyone's not so lucky to have a great education and live in the country we do. It's taken for granted all the time.

Good lord, enough with the stereotypes.

This girl isn't a poor rural bimbo, down on her luck, lured out of Russia with promises of hope.:laugh:
She's obviously well traveled, plugged in and tech savvy. She's basically a hot looking 'prize girlfriend' (she also used to date KHLer Viktor Drugov).
I'm guessing she went to Hong Kong to further a modeling career but found it to be a dead end, or not what she expected....then decided to temporarily moved in with Varlamov (who'd she dated on-off for a while).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad