The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I like Marek, but its hard to be upset here. Sounds like he got fired for a very justifiable reason.

Reactions: LandfiII

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
The rational for Marek getting canned is f***ing ludicrous.

You INCESSANTLY promote gambling.

Eat shit NHL and Sportsnet.

Not related to gambling at all - he was given information early and leaked that info to his friend for online clout. For all we know there was no monetary gain.

You should really understand the situation before getting angry :laugh:

Reactions: NotSNFan and rypper

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Just another example how gambling warps this sport and its coverage in obnoxious ways.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Not related to gambling at all - he was given information early and leaked that info to his friend for online clout. For all we know there was no monetary gain.

You should really understand the situation before getting angry :laugh:
Sure sounds like it was about gambling.

It doesn't sound like it was about gambling.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Literally nothing in that article says it was gambling or bet related… where are you reading this?

As others have pointed out - all bets related to the draft are usually locked in weeks before to prevent exactly this sorta stuff from happening

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Literally nothing in that article says it was gambling or bet related… where are you reading this?

As others have pointed out - all bets related to the draft are usually locked in weeks before to prevent exactly this sorta stuff from happening
The third to last paragraph literally states “The worry is about any potential advantage that a tip off could mean for betting purposes”.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The third to last paragraph literally states “The worry is about any potential advantage that a tip off could mean for betting purposes”.
At some point the sports books have to shut down the betting for draft selections. I doubt the books close within a 1 minute or 2 before the selection. Should be closed at the start of the draft. At least for any legit ones.

Reactions: DFAC and Hodgy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If it's not about gambling it's almost worse. As a bunch of people are pointing out on social, Seravelli pretty much leaked the Kraken's entire expansion list.

Did the NHL themselves leak the list to Seravelli for a bona fide purpose, and then he further leaked it for not that purpose? If not, then the situations are not analogous.

Basically all of the articles have stated that all of the bets had to be locked in well in advance of any of the draft leaks so its pretty clear this wasn't a gambling issue, or done for gambling reasons. And I don't think anyone has actually said otherwise. Articles have just referenced when bets are locked in (well in advance of the leaks) which actually seems to suggest the opposite of your conclusion: i.e., the leaks were not related to gambling, and therefore, the punishment was because of gambling.

The more likely reason was Marek was leaking the picks to a friend to help him out....which was dumb. Marek is getting given confidential information for a very specific purpose and is then going ahead and disclosing that confidential purpose for reasons totally unrelated to that purpose. This is misconduct and a breach of contract if he signed any NDA, and you really don't have to read any gambling issues into this as any employer would be pissed off if their employee did this notwithstanding any potential gambling issues.

And again, I like Marek. But he f***ed up here. And his f*** up was not related to gambling.

Reactions: DFAC

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It’s about gambling in that he probably wouldn’t have lost his job because the NHL wouldn’t have had their sponsors pressuring them who then put pressure on Sportsnet. Marek didn’t get let go because of gambling directly but gambling agencies are worried about the this undermining credibility in the future.

The difference is that Seravalli is the Seidel not Marek and his source didn’t get revealed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
marek got fired because he was told the picks in confidence by his employer so he could prep for his interviews as part of his job. and then he leaked them to his buddy

it's not just about leaking the picks it's about breaking trust with his employer

This. But did Sportsnet not know until now? This being a fireable offence does not mean they would let him go if he brings enough value to the network. He has been doing this for years.

But it's like 60 seconds of lead time we're talking here, right?

Is the idea just his friend is the first guy to hit 'send' on his tweet to earn followers? Does being FiRsT! really confer much of an advantage in this situation?

(I'm not saying Marek didn't engage in misconduct, rather I'm trying to figure out what the benefit really is).

Should it be a threshold issue though? His buddy was boasting about having accurately predicted the top of the first round in other drafts (which is likely meant to direct more traffic to his account and posts). Some people do like to flip to the end of the book to learn the ending before reading the book. I'm sure it did benefit Seidel. To what extent I do not know.

Contrast that with McKenzie who commonly and correctly predicted the pick just before the team makes the announcement on the podium. But that prediction benefits his employer as it lends credibility to the broadcast team.

It’s about gambling in that he probably wouldn’t have lost his job because the NHL wouldn’t have had their sponsors pressuring them who then put pressure on Sportsnet. Marek didn’t get let go because of gambling directly but gambling agencies are worried about the this undermining credibility in the future.

Good point and that might be the case here. Follow the money. Covering this up would have been easy. While I'm sure there are those who are like, "why do I want to watch or listen to the broadcast when I get the picks quicker through Seidel's X account," I doubt Seidel took away significant viewership here. So there was likely some pressure on Sportsnet from the NHL and or their sponsors.

Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His career will be just fine.

Sportsnet is the only one who will suffer from this. They have one good employee less.

It’s hard to say. Is there a competing network that would hire him? NBC? If not it’s podcasts which is also more work since he has to produce everything himself (I.e. hire his own team).

I didn’t really know much about Marek until his show was forced upon me on 650 during my late morning commutes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s hard to say. Is there a competing network that would hire him? NBC? If not it’s podcasts which is also more work since he has to produce everything himself (I.e. hire his own team).

I didn’t really know much about Marek until his show was forced upon me on 650 during my late morning commutes.
He's 55. He's more of a host than an insider. With networks these days, he's not going to TSN to replace Duthie and would cost too much to be his backup. There's regional work or something in the US. ESPN, I mean, they probably have enough people to put someone in that role. TNT, is that Liam from NBC that went over?

He had a good gig and lost it for doing something that really didn't benefit him. Helping out someone else, which ends up costing him.

Reactions: F A N

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Reactions: MS

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Noah Strang at Daily Hive at least got the team to comment on Gradin.

“Thomas is still with the organization and a proud member of the Canucks,” the team said in a statement provided to Daily Hive. “He has stepped away to spend more time with his family this summer.”
We don't know what "with the organization" means. And the wording suggests it's only for the summer, which is strange (unless it's a misplaced modifier, and what they mean is "stepped away this summer to spend more time with his family").

Does "with the organization" mean he's on unpaid leave? He has a role but it's reduced?

Reactions: Jyrki21

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We don't know what "with the organization" means. And the wording suggests it's only for the summer, which is strange (unless it's a misplaced modifier, and what they mean is "stepped away this summer to spend more time with his family").

Does "with the organization" mean he's on unpaid leave? He has a role but it's reduced?

My best guess is he's doing what Smyl has done and will be involved as an ambassador and with the alumni but is pretty much fully retired. No idea this wouldn't be announced in the same way Smyl's was unless it's against his wishes or they want to save it for the season.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My best guess is he's doing what Smyl has done and will be involved as an ambassador and with the alumni but is pretty much fully retired. No idea this wouldn't be announced in the same way Smyl's was unless it's against his wishes or they want to save it for the season.
That's my best guess too. My niggling doubt has to do with it not being announced. It makes me wonder how happy Gradin is to "retire."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00