The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Let's be real. If it was just his contract expiring on July 1st, they would've figured out something so that he can do his last shows on radio, be part of the free agency, do the closing out 32 Thoughts etc. And then he probably would've already announced on social media that he's moving on to another opportunities. Instead there's nothing.
Yep, the situation is highly suspicious.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
"Unconfirmed draft reasons" to me means some sort of incident may have taken place at the draft which ended his relationship with SportsNet.
it may be intentionally ambiguous word choice, but it kind of implies it has something to do with the draft itself as opposed to something unrelated that happened at the draft.

was he maybe caught spying on yzerman's draft lists?

i kid. i think.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

“Jeff Marek is no longer with Sportsnet,” a Sportsnet spokesperson told Daily Hive this morning.

Super weird. He left on a red-eye flight from Vegas, has been completely silent since, and nobody is talking. Maybe he did play a little butt-grab in Sin City.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Jeff Marek deserves whatever he gets after those stupid Airbnb commercials that plague my podcasts.

Reactions: rypper

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It sucks for consumers these days because TSN (Bell) and SN (Rogers) are aggressively in the game of cost reduction. Decent media personalities are vanishing and the overall production is starting to suck.

From a financial standpoint, it makes sense to gradually cease ties with these personalities as they are losing a fair share of market share to an oversaturated market of independent podcasters and columnists.
Who's been cut that matters?

Marek, kipper, Bourne, ailish and Co host, Blair ,barker, cabby, Ken Reid, Halford, brough, sat, gazdic, cosentino, irf, mclean, masters, shi, Reda, spittin chiclits(i know some ppl like this schtick) plus a dozen or two more I can't think of could all disappear from media and I think 96.6% of ppl wouldn't care after three and a half days..

The real issue networks have is keeping too many 'personalities' and not utilizing their best talent enough, or poaching talent from other networks.
David Amber, tim Micallef, bieksa, siddal, shipman, plus others could all have elevated roles/shows, and i still think Strombo would be much more successful now.
Even idiots like Steve dangle have an appeal/potential that some network could capitalize on.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

League and media sources said that Marek gave Seidel a heads up on the picks so that Seidel could better prepare and offer analysis of those selections on social media. Professional sports leagues are known to monitor social media during live events such as drafts; it is also common for leagues to partner with external integrity and compliance firms to monitor social media activity.

In short, Marek was tipping the draft picks to his friend, Mark Seidel. Seidel then would post on twitter to make him seem like a bit of a draft guru. Nothing related to gambling is involved and has been going on for at least 4 years, judging by Seidel's twitter history.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

League and media sources said that Marek gave Seidel a heads up on the picks so that Seidel could better prepare and offer analysis of those selections on social media. Professional sports leagues are known to monitor social media during live events such as drafts; it is also common for leagues to partner with external integrity and compliance firms to monitor social media activity.

In short, Marek was tipping the draft picks to his friend, Mark Seidel. Seidel then would post on twitter to make him seem like a bit of a draft guru. Nothing related to gambling is involved and has been going on for at least 4 years, judging by Seidel's twitter history.

How did Marek know the picks?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
NHL told him so he could prepare for interviews ahead of time

Dumb move on Marek’s part to relay the news to his third party friend.

The first thing that came to mind on this one was Asshole Face leaking the entire Seattle expansion draft before it happened. But I guess he's not employed by the NHL's main broadcast partner in Canada?

Reactions: DFAC

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
marek got fired because he was told the picks in confidence by his employer so he could prep for his interviews as part of his job. and then he leaked them to his buddy

it's not just about leaking the picks it's about breaking trust with his employer

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The first thing that came to mind on this one was Asshole Face leaking the entire Seattle expansion draft before it happened. But I guess he's not employed by the NHL's main broadcast partner in Canada?

Exactly. He was the Seidel in that situation. This big differences were that wasn’t in Vegas and weren’t jumping into gambling feet first quiet yet.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
How did Marek know the picks?

NHL told him so he could prepare for interviews ahead of time

Dumb move on Marek’s part to relay the news to his third party friend.

Exactly this. Marek was told by Sportsnet, who is told by the NHL once the pick is registered, so he can prepare and arrange interviews and talking points. Also enough time to text a buddy.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Exactly this. Marek was told by Sportsnet, who is told by the NHL once the pick is registered, so he can prepare and arrange interviews and talking points. Also enough time to text a buddy.
But it's like 60 seconds of lead time we're talking here, right?

Is the idea just his friend is the first guy to hit 'send' on his tweet to earn followers? Does being FiRsT! really confer much of an advantage in this situation?

(I'm not saying Marek didn't engage in misconduct, rather I'm trying to figure out what the benefit really is).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They weren't even using the situation to make money on gambling? What a waste.

Reactions: DFAC

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
But it's like 60 seconds of lead time we're talking here, right?

Is the idea just his friend is the first guy to hit 'send' on his tweet to earn followers? Does being FiRsT! really confer much of an advantage in this situation?

(I'm not saying Marek didn't engage in misconduct, rather I'm trying to figure out what the benefit really is).

Yes, that’s exactly right. They probably saw it as a bit of fun and a way to promote Seidel as a bit of a draft guru.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What a dork. Throw away a career so your pal can get some clout.

The silver lining is no more Airbnb ads.

• Love
Reactions: LandfiII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad