The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Amazing that Gazdink blew a golden opportunity covering his former team in the most important series, all because some online trolls triggered him. He might have blown his career over this lmao

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But Hronek did lie. Probably bc the team wanted him to. Which is why his answer was so awkward. He's not very good liar.
You dont think it was because RIGHT BEFORE the question Ian Cole had refused to use his injury as an excuse in any way?

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Amazing that Gazdink blew a golden opportunity covering his former team in the most important series, all because some online trolls triggered him. He might have blown his career over this lmao
I mean, the team there is their A team. It's not like he was gonna be there either way. He didn't think that one through.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What a brilliant point made by Drance/Filipovic about Vegas:

They seem to be gathering/promoting low cost shooters because they've got their possession game sorted: Dorofeyev, Brisson, Mantha (before), Olofsson, and Holtz. Perhaps will go after Sprong as well.

This is a team that is well versed in shot metrics that is doing this (per insight from Drance and the VGK reporter (forgot his name)).

At a certain point, angling for conversion must be done. VGK gets this despite side-stepping Marchessault's contract.

Reactions: mossey3535

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

They seem to be gathering/promoting low cost shooters because they've got their possession game sorted: Dorofeyev, Brisson, Mantha (before), Olofsson, and Holtz. Perhaps will go after Sprong as well.

This is a team that is well versed in shot metrics that is doing this (per insight from Drance and the VGK reporter (forgot his name)).

At a certain point, angling for conversion must be done. VGK gets this despite side-stepping Marchessault's contract.

Was gonna say, if this is the case they should immediately sign Daniel Sprong.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Seems to me more like they're a team that's hard up against the cap and just lost 2 of their top-6 forwards to UFA, and are having to resort to flawed skill players to try and keep some goals in the lineup.

Mantha was a total flop there.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Seems to me more like they're a team that's hard up against the cap and just lost 2 of their top-6 forwards to UFA, and are having to resort to flawed skill players to try and keep some goals in the lineup.

It's that they've recognized goals offer the line-up more value than possession/2way play that's key. You need both and they're scraping the barrel to get both.

Mantha has been a flop in general. Strange career.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think there's some truth in that. Vegas does like big name hunting though (even if they are flawed skill players currently).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's that they've recognized goals offer the line-up more value than possession/2way play that's key. You need both and they're scraping the barrel to get both.

Mantha has been a flop in general. Strange career.

They were a middle-of-the-pack offensive team last year and lost 58 goals in Marchessault and Stephenson.

They need someone to pop 30 goals and play on PP1 and they have no money to spend so they're taking a shot at a guy like Olofsson and hoping it works.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They were a middle-of-the-pack offensive team last year and lost 58 goals in Marchessault and Stephenson.

They need someone to pop 30 goals and play on PP1 and they have no money to spend so they're taking a shot at a guy like Olofsson and hoping it works.

Are we not saying the same thing?

They need goals over and above 2way play. There is a threshold by which one facet becomes more important than the other. They've reached it.

They have no money so they are after budget scoring options, but even if they had money, they'd be after better scoring options, not 2way options.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Are we not saying the same thing?

They need goals over and above 2way play. There is a threshold by which one facet becomes more important than the other. They've reached it.

They have no money so they are after budget scoring options, but even if they had money, they'd be after better scoring options, not 2way options.

Your initial post implied that this was some sort of ahead-of-the-curve analytics thing but I think it’s pretty straightforward old-school GMing. They lost goals, they need goals. They have no money, so they gotta find goals for cheap.

Like, if Jim Benning was hired as Vegas’ GM last month, coming to the conclusion that ‘Olofsson scored 28 goals two years ago, he can give us goals’ is totally a Benning sort of move.

It isn’t some brilliant moneyball thing because their system is so solid. They’re cap-broke, they need goals, so they’ll be giving some young/flawed players chances to score goals and play on PP1 until they find a way to re-load again at the deadline.

Reactions: Hodgy and tradervik

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Your initial post implied that this was some sort of ahead-of-the-curve analytics thing but I think it’s pretty straightforward old-school GMing. They lost goals, they need goals. They have no money, so they gotta find goals for cheap.

Like, if Jim Benning was hired as Vegas’ GM last month, coming to the conclusion that ‘Olofsson scored 28 goals two years ago, he can give us goals’ is totally a Benning sort of move.

It isn’t some brilliant moneyball thing because their system is so solid. They’re cap-broke, they need goals, so they’ll be giving some young/flawed players chances to score goals and play on PP1 until they find a way to re-load again at the deadline.

Ah, I understand the confusion. I meant to imply the opposite, that there is a point at which you throw analytics away and hunt for goals despite a possession shortfall from the player.

They could just as easily have kept to pattern with further metrics based additions, even at a low cost, but they chose to address a weakness in an old school fashion. This shows an intelligence to think beyond the metrics.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the head scratcher for me, too. I have no clue.
Didn't watch the draft, so whether he said something inappropriate, who knows? Did he like his role changing from the host to the Interviewer of the draftees?

He's 55. So, not sure what the market would be for his services? Is he that big a name the moves the needle?

Or does he venture out on his own doing his own Podcast or something?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd assume his contract expired and Rogers is too cheap to bring him back. Doesn't seem like the type of guy who would get in big enough trouble to get fired.

This makes the most sense. In the current media climate, I’d imagine a negotiation breakdown over terms or something. Seems unlikely he said something scandalous that flew under the radar, but I didn’t watch too much of his draft coverage.

Too bad, as he’s a massive Sprong fan.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This makes the most sense. In the current media climate, I’d imagine a negotiation breakdown over terms or something. Seems unlikely he said something scandalous that flew under the radar, but I didn’t watch too much of his draft coverage.

Too bad, as he’s a massive Sprong fan.
Let's be real. If it was just his contract expiring on July 1st, they would've figured out something so that he can do his last shows on radio, be part of the free agency, do the closing out 32 Thoughts etc. And then he probably would've already announced on social media that he's moving on to another opportunities. Instead there's nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad