Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Yup all those things are great. But you can't watch Boeser and not be concerned not only with how slow he skates but how slow he moves. He'll never be able to drive play with his skill set. So the question becomes do you commit 8 mil long term to that type of player?

He had a breakout yr off the back on an unsustainably high shooting% both in the regular season and in the playoffs. No one maintains 20-25% shooting % so when he regresses do you want to pay a guy who doesn't drive play and is already lumbering 8 x 8 to be a 25-30 goal, 55-60 point winger?

The alternative is you sell now, get the young assets, a pick. And use the cap space on a more play driving winger like Guentzel. Even Tyler Toffoli can bring you basically everything Boeser does and he'll prob be around 5 mil.

Also on your we almost made the finals thing, I agree with that to an extent but we were a historically lucky team. So the whole team will likely regress next yr. It's hard for fans to conceptualize this. The perfect example is Kuzmenko. His fall was very predictable.

We have cap issues and need to improve in a couple areas.

It would be a pretty ruthless trade but you'd be selling high on a guy who is going to want what 8x8? in a yrs time. And we know he doesn't drive play, has had health issues and doesn't move well. I'd be sad to see him go but tell Tyler Toffoli isn't basically the same player and half the price for instance.
Awful Awful takes, and you know nothing about the player himself when your main crux of reasoning is that "he's slow" and "unsustainable high shooting percentage" is getting tiresome. A motivated conditioned Boeser is a legitimate 35-40 goal scorer in the league who plays well on both ends of the ice. Not to mention, his playmaking skills are underrated.

Toffoli isn't replacing not even half of what he does and he's been underwhelming in the playoffs.

Boeser was one of our best players in the playoffs, and the notion is to trade him after that, is just moronic. You sign said players. Not subtract. You win with these type of players.

We need players that actually perform when it matters and have chemistry with the team for years on end. While being well liked in the locker room. Boeser IS that.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Awful Awful takes, and you know nothing about the player himself when your main crux of reasoning is that "he's slow" and "unsustainable high shooting percentage" is getting tiresome. A motivated conditioned Boeser is a legitimate 35-40 goal scorer in the league who plays well on both ends of the ice. Not to mention, his playmaking skills are underrated.

Toffoli isn't replacing not even half of what he does and he's been underwhelming in the playoffs.

Boeser was one of our best players in the playoffs, and the notion is to trade him after that, is just moronic. You sign said players. Not subtract. You win with these type of players.

We need players that actually perform when it matters and have chemistry with the team for years on end. While being well liked in the locker room. Boeser IS that.
It can be called addition by subtraction. The cap is the biggest enemy of keeping skill players.

I have been a trade Boeser guy and still am
BUT
He did just have the best 10 games of his career during the playoffs. He was impressive but then I didn't expect that level of play from him because is just isn't there enough.
I have noticed though he does play well in playoff games even in the covid year.

Reactions: Johnsie19

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

If you have some reasoning behind what you're saying I'm all ears.

Here is the data behind the point I am trying to make

Boeser stats
22-23 G74 18G 37A 55P
23-24 G81 40G 33A 73P

He had basically the same amount of shots per game in both seasons. Whats the difference?
Shooting %. This yr it was 19.6, last yr it was 10.1 the yr before 11.8.

My point is when Boeser returns to earth and scores 25 Goals and 34 assists and still wants 8x8 you'll still want to give it to him I assume. Wingers who put up 55-65 points are pretty easy to attain.

In the playoffs he shot 25% take that down to his career average and instead of 7 goals he has 3.

Now that being said, he did score the goals and I give him credit for that, however I can also suggest he is a prime candidate for a significant regression. Just as Kuzmenko was and most fans couldn't wrap their heads around the idea their fav player could be worse the next yr when it isn't because of age related decline.

Take it a step further he had 106 PDO. His career average is 101.

Re: Toffoli
Theyre very similar profiles. They're shooters, who are decent defensively, do not drive play and are slow.

As far as needing to sign players youre absolutely right. And my point would be rather than commit 8x8 to what is almost certainly closer to a 28g 27a 55 point winger we could get a couple young assets, maybe recoup a draft pick and sign a UFA winger with the cap space. In the end the team is better.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Boeser stats
22-23 G74 18G 37A 55P
23-24 G81 40G 33A 73P

He had basically the same amount of shots per game in both seasons. Whats the difference?

My point is when Boeser returns to earth and scores 25 Goals and 34 assists and still wants 8x8 you'll still want to give it to him I assume. Wingers who put up 55-65 points are pretty easy to attain.

In the playoffs he shot 25% take that down to his career average and instead of 7 goals he has 3.

Now that being said, he did score the goals and I give him credit for that, however I can also suggest he is a prime candidate for a significant regression. Just as Kuzmenko was and most fans couldn't wrap their heads around the idea their fav player could be worse the next yr when it isn't because of age related decline.

Theyre very similar profiles. They're shooters, who are decent defensively, do not drive play and are slow.

As far as needing to sign players youre absolutely right. And my point would be rather than commit 8x8 to what is almost certainly closer to a 28g 27a 55 point winger we could get a couple young assets, maybe recoup a draft pick and sign a UFA winger with the cap space. In the end the team is better.
I agree with you that expecting 40 goals again like this season is a stretch, he'd need to take a big step in his game for that to become the new expectation.

However, last season and the season where his dad died are the seasons you're using to predict regression and those were career outliers for him with a pretty clear cause and effect.

Boeser is pretty close to a guarantee to pace for at least 20 ES goals 45 ES points or 30 goals 65-70 points all situations. Last season and the season where his dad died were pretty big anomalies against the rest of his remarkably consistent career production and there was a big visual difference with him this year compared to the prev. two that goes beyond puck luck.

Whether he's worth 8 mil, well, it's pretty much impossible to build a consistent contender with most of the team on UFA contracts so you can make the same argument with him as any other UFA you sign and you can't sign them all. He'll be good value next year and that's what matters right now, we should be all in every year until Hughes' contract ends. One more good year is enough for now.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yup all those things are great. But you can't watch Boeser and not be concerned not only with how slow he skates but how slow he moves. He'll never be able to drive play with his skill set. So the question becomes do you commit 8 mil long term to that type of player?

He had a breakout yr off the back on an unsustainably high shooting% both in the regular season and in the playoffs. No one maintains 20-25% shooting % so when he regresses do you want to pay a guy who doesn't drive play and is already lumbering 8 x 8 to be a 25-30 goal, 55-60 point winger?

The alternative is you sell now, get the young assets, a pick. And use the cap space on a more play driving winger like Guentzel. Even Tyler Toffoli can bring you basically everything Boeser does and he'll prob be around 5 mil.

Also on your we almost made the finals thing, I agree with that to an extent but we were a historically lucky team. So the whole team will likely regress next yr. It's hard for fans to conceptualize this. The perfect example is Kuzmenko. His fall was very predictable.

We have cap issues and need to improve in a couple areas.

It would be a pretty ruthless trade but you'd be selling high on a guy who is going to want what 8x8? in a yrs time. And we know he doesn't drive play, has had health issues and doesn't move well. I'd be sad to see him go but tell Tyler Toffoli isn't basically the same player and half the price for instance.
You do know he was driving play all year this year? Right?

Or do you mean transition the puck with speed when you say drive play?

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Boeser stats
22-23 G74 18G 37A 55P
23-24 G81 40G 33A 73P

Have you watched Boeser play the past 3 seasons? Where are Boeser's shots coming from this season compared to the previous two seasons? Are you saying that the shots Boeser took this season are about the same quality and distance from the net as in the prior two seasons? If you were to guess what Boeser's expected goals stats would be, would you guess that the totals are similar?

Do you recall the goals Boeser scored in the playoffs? How many of his goals weren't as a result of high percentage shots that shouldn't have gone in?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Have you watched Boeser play the past 3 seasons? Where are Boeser's shots coming from this season compared to the previous two seasons? Are you saying that the shots Boeser took this season are about the same quality and distance from the net as in the prior two seasons? If you were to guess what Boeser's expected goals stats would be, would you guess that the totals are similar?

Do you recall the goals Boeser scored in the playoffs? How many of his goals weren't as a result of high percentage shots that shouldn't have gone in?
I dont think anyone should argue he is going to keep up his 2x shooting% from the past years.

If everything else remains the same and he pots ~30g he is easily worth his paper.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think for big parts of the year he wasn’t overly driving play and was more opportunistic/reliant on others for his scoring. Though part of that was likely from the Canucks constantly scoring easily and then sitting on leads. I think his cycle game really got stronger after the All Str break and in the playoffs though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I dont think anyone should argue he is going to keep up his 2x shooting% from the past years.

If everything else remains the same and he pots ~30g he is easily worth his paper.

Well he has taken more shots in the past and has shot 16+% three times in his career.

But ya, Boeser could end up with 30ish goals.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Boeser stats
22-23 G74 18G 37A 55P
23-24 G81 40G 33A 73P

I clearly given you plenty of reasons for why your takes are bad and why the notion of trading Boeser at this point in the stage is moronic. It is on you to read them.

Stop using PDO/shooting percentage as an argument against given what he go through while playing in previous seasons. While his dad was in a death state, you can clearly tell he did not have the motivation to even play, even blamed the sport for it. Judge him for how he performs now and moving forward.

Also most of his goals have been in tight through the blue crease, or through deflections. Naturally that would increase the rate for shooting percentages.

Boeser is in his prime age, he's not due for a regression any time soon. Will he be scoring 40 goals every year? No, but he is young enough to garner another 40 goal season or two down the line. He is talented enough as a goal scorer to do so. He will likely average 30-35 goals in general, which is essential for a team that lacks wingers that can score goals.

Kuzmenko and Boeser are opposite players with different capabilities. Kuzmeko is also one dimensional. As for Toffoli, he's 32. He's slowing down and aging. He also was criticized in the playoffs by Jets fans themselves. While Boeser has shown to be a player that performs when it matters and as I said one of our best players in the playoffs, which is important. You can see how important he was during when he was absent, during that game 7 loss against the Oilers.

Boeser has shown he wants to be a Canuck. I am pretty confident he will be signed to fair value. We are aiming to win the cup as long as Miller is here. We need win now players than draft picks, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

So you are trying to say he is now shooting only high danger chances and that is going to be sustainable? Pencil him in for 20% again next yr?

I don't have the data on how far his shots are on average per season. Is that available?

I seem to remember a few that were pretty dodgy goaltending and or lucky.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most NHL execs don't base their decisions on the most recent viewing of a player, or how he performs over a 30 game stretch or even in seven or eight playoff games. They are 'big picture'
guys because they have to be.

Some posters seem to forget that it was only a season ago, that the Canucks gave Boeser and his agent permission to talk to any team in the league, to see if a trade could be worked out. Clearly they thought at that time, that they could afford to part with Boeser if the right return was coming back.

I guess it's possible that as a result of Boeser's breakthrough season and playoff performance, their thinking has changed. But wouldn't shock me if it hasn't.

Boeser is due a raise and an extension on his base salary of $6.6m at the end of next season, Otherwise he walks as a UFA.

Frankly, I don't think the Canucks front office has made up its mind yet on Boeser.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So you are trying to say he is now shooting only high danger chances and that is going to be sustainable? Pencil him in for 20% again next yr?

I don't have the data on how far his shots are on average per season. Is that available?

I seem to remember a few that were pretty dodgy goaltending and or lucky.

Well he didn't exactly shoot 20% in the regular season so I'm not sure where the whole "again" comes from but regardless I do think the goals he scored are rather sustainable if he manages to shoot from where he has shot.

The stats are available. Here's the location of where his goals came from in the regular season (from NHL):

View attachment 879948

And in the playoffs:

View attachment 879952
Here's the chart of where his shots came from in the regular season:

View attachment 879956

I am of the opinion that Boeser's shot and finishing abilities are somewhere between above average and elite. As you can see, Boeser scored from prime shooting locations.

In comparison, here's Petey's shot location:

View attachment 879959

All else being equal, if you look at the two shot location charts, who should score on a higher percentage of his shots? Boeser or Petey? Clearly it's Boeser.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I clearly given you plenty of reasons for why your takes are bad and why the notion of trading Boeser at this point in the stage is moronic. It is on you to read them.

Stop using PDO/shooting percentage as an argument against given what he go through while playing in previous seasons. While his dad was in a death state, you can clearly tell he did not have the motivation to even play, even blamed the sport for it. Judge him for how he performs now and moving forward.

Also most of his goals have been in tight through the blue crease, or through deflections. Naturally that would increase the rate for shooting percentages.

Boeser is in his prime age, he's not due for a regression any time soon. Will he be scoring 40 goals every year? No, but he is young enough to garner another 40 goal season or two down the line. He is talented enough as a goal scorer to do so. He will likely average 30-35 goals in general, which is essential for a team that lacks wingers that can score goals.

Kuzmenko and Boeser are opposite players with different capabilities. Kuzmeko is also one dimensional. As for Toffoli, he's 32. He's slowing down and aging. He also was criticized in the playoffs by Jets fans themselves. While Boeser has shown to be a player that performs when it matters and as I said one of our best players in the playoffs, which is important. You can see how important he was during when he was absent, during that game 7 loss against the Oilers.

Boeser has shown he wants to be a Canuck. I am pretty confident he will be signed to fair value. We are aiming to win the cup as long as Miller is here. We need win now players than draft picks, etc.
You don't think PDO and shooting % are relevant because of his family situation? I think thats being a bit willfully blind. Has he ever shot 19.6%? His PDO was 106 he's never had anything even close to that. These outlier type anomalous numbers a strong indicators a regression is coming.

I say that while acknowledging the points you make that he performed well in the playoffs, and his family situation disrupted his play in previous seasons.

The likelihood of Boeser scoring 40 again is quite small. If you just take his career shooting % (which isn't low) and apply it to the amount of shots he gets he'd score 28 goals. So ya he's more of a 25-30 goal guy. And again I know it's hard for fans to accept their fav player might regress when age isn't a factor but it happens every year.

The point I was making with Kuzmenko was he too had a shooting % that was abnormally high. I think it was the highest of the last 30 yrs. And still fans refused to believe he would regress. He went from 38 to 22 goals. Beyond that he is more one dimensional I agree but thats not the point I was making.

I agree Boeser was a loss for the Canucks in game 7 but they were just as bad in game 6 when he played. He had a great playoffs and again his shooting % was even higher. So you can't rely on the happening again. It can happen it's just not what you should expect.

So all that is to say he is a good player. His value however is much higher now than it will be next season almost certainly. So do you want to commit 8x8 (maybe more) to a guy who is probably more of a 28 goal 60 point guy, who doesn't drive play?

Trading him nets a return of potentially younger players and picks and free cap space to replace Boeser. And there are numerous players just as good or better available in UFA.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

Driving play has a lot to do with zone entries and zone exits. Carrying the puck. The skillset is speed, stickhandling, passing. Characteristics are being able to slot in almost anywhere in the lineup.

Boeser absolutely did not drive play this yr. He never will. He is a trigger man, wall guy, net presence to some degree. And he relies on teammates to make plays (JT Miller).

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I agree with you that expecting 40 goals again like this season is a stretch, he'd need to take a big step in his game for that to become the new expectation.

However, last season and the season where his dad died are the seasons you're using to predict regression and those were career outliers for him with a pretty clear cause and effect.

Boeser is pretty close to a guarantee to pace for at least 20 ES goals 45 ES points or 30 goals 65-70 points all situations. Last season and the season where his dad died were pretty big anomalies against the rest of his remarkably consistent career production and there was a big visual difference with him this year compared to the prev. two that goes beyond puck luck.

Whether he's worth 8 mil, well, it's pretty much impossible to build a consistent contender with most of the team on UFA contracts so you can make the same argument with him as any other UFA you sign and you can't sign them all. He'll be good value next year and that's what matters right now, we should be all in every year until Hughes' contract ends. One more good year is enough for now.
Yup I agree the previous two seasons were his worst and family issues were a big reason. But the anomaly of this season is even against the yrs previous to those. His shooting % was 4% better than his next best. And his PDO was laughable high at 106. That is a huge outlier.

I agree he is a good player. My feeling is he is not great, doesn't drive play, and I'm concerned with his skating. I wouldn't want to commit the type of money he will command to him, especially with term and given he plays a non premium position.

The idea of trading him is you maximize value, get young pieces, picks the organization desperately needs if we want to consistently compete, and you free up cap space to improve the team.

Ok there Matt Murray.
Hahah Murray was right all along.

But no, he won't shoot 20% in the reg season and 25% in the playoffs next yr. That's basically it. Kuzmenko couldn't do it either and we know how quickly that soured. This wont sour as dramatically because Boeser is a more rounded player but it could easily just be an 8 mil guy would gets 25-25.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Well he didn't exactly shoot 20% in the regular season so I'm not sure where the whole "again" comes from but regardless I do think the goals he scored are rather sustainable if he manages to shoot from where he has shot.

The stats are available. Here's the location of where his goals came from in the regular season (from NHL):

View attachment 879948

And in the playoffs:

View attachment 879952

View attachment 879956

I am of the opinion that Boeser's shot and finishing abilities are somewhere between above average and elite. As you can see, Boeser scored from prime shooting locations.

View attachment 879959

All else being equal, if you look at the two shot location charts, who should score on a higher percentage of his shots? Boeser or Petey? Clearly it's Boeser.
Sorry 19.6% not 20 as I said.

Also in the playoffs he shot 25.9%. Just look up the highest shooting % for context.

None of your attachment seem to work unfortunately.

If they show Boeser shoots from a lot closer to the net that would make sense. I think what you'd have to prove to suggest he'll continue to shoot well above his career averages is that he is shooting from places that would make that sustainable. So you'd have to actually know the league averages from those positions. Some data nerd might know that kinda stuff but if they do they're probably employed by a team.

Safe reasoning is he'll regress next yr. And he'll be a UFA next yr. So his value will never be as high as it is now.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

View attachment 879948

And in the playoffs:

View attachment 879952

View attachment 879956

View attachment 879959

You do know this is not something that seems to happen in pro hockey?

A team or a player just starts doing better shootery and ups their shooting% significantly season to season as a result.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Boeser is a good player in all 3 zones. He scores goals. He defends well. He transitions well. He is very handsome.

Keep Boeser. Simple decision some of you try to over-think.
Does not transition well at all. And not worth 8 mil he'll be asking. Sell high or complain we should have for 7 yrs.

Trading Brock would mean we've traded our best goal scorer 3 years straight...
And we keep improving!

A team or a player just starts doing better shootery and ups their shooting% significantly season to season as a result.
I keep saying it, Its difficult for fans to accept their fav player might regress. Let alone almost certainly will. This even while playing for the same team that saw Kuzmenko fall off a cliff very predictably.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sorry 19.6% not 20 as I said.

Also in the playoffs he shot 25.9%. Just look up the highest shooting % for context.

Ok. For context, Boeser's playoff shooting percentage has him ranked #17. In comparison, RNH is at 25%, Bennett is 23.1%. Stone and Stamkos shot over 30%. Joshua shot 44.4%

None of your attachment seem to work unfortunately.

If they show Boeser shoots from a lot closer to the net that would make sense.
Ya sorry the attachments didn't work. They do show Boeser shoots a lot closer to the net.

I think what you'd have to prove to suggest he'll continue to shoot well above his career averages is that he is shooting from places that would make that sustainable. So you'd have to actually know the league averages from those positions. Some data nerd might know that kinda stuff but if they do they're probably employed by a team.

Safe reasoning is he'll regress next yr. And he'll be a UFA next yr. So his value will never be as high as it is now.

Again, Boeser shot closer to the net this season. This is just factual.

I don't see the issue. He has shot 16% or over 3 times in his career. His shot per game this season is also his 5th lowest. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that things will balance out.

I've said this before, a lot of posters here are operating under some outdated ideas on shooting percentage. Like Kopitar shot a career high 19.5% this season. Kopitar's shooting percentage the past two seasons is actually 2 of his highest 3 totals in his entire career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad