OT - NO POLITICS The TV thread - RIP Miss Jean - Boston's Romper Room teacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Watching the latest episode of "The Last of Us" had me scratching my head at the scenery of tall pines, snow capped mountains and wide clear rivers reminiscent of say, Colorado or the Pacific Northwest and the caption reads, "10 miles west of Boston". I'm like, "Huh, doesn't look like Newton to me."

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Watching the latest episode of "The Last of Us" had me scratching my head at the scenery of tall pines, snow capped mountains and wide clear rivers reminiscent of say, Colorado or the Pacific Northwest and the caption reads, "10 miles west of Boston". I'm like, "Huh, doesn't look like Newton to me."

One of my biggest pet peeves. I was watching an episode of FBI Most Wanted one night, and the fugitive fled to a place I lived for 5 years - Wilkes-Barre PA. Imagine my shock when one of the scenes took place at a salt water pier in a city that's over a hundred miles from the nearest ocean.

Reactions: Mione134

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
One of my biggest pet peeves. I was watching an episode of FBI Most Wanted one night, and the fugitive fled to a place I lived for 5 years - Wilkes-Barre PA. Imagine my shock when one of the scenes took place at a salt water pier in a city that's over a hundred miles from the nearest ocean.
Or whenever they're outside in the Office and that's clearly not Scranton

Reactions: jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Or whenever they're outside in the Office and that's clearly not Scranton

Yep. It was funny, I was like "What's a salt water pier doing on the banks of the Susquehanna?" It even had deep water fishing boats. I drove over that river every day for work and never saw a tuna boat. Not once.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I love how alot of these old shows I watch are casually racist.

Hawaii 5-0 they had a mexican dude play japanese and they have do it more than once just make up.

Disneys Zorro all the natives are white dudes who are just painted brown

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

NHL TV ratings drop is easily explained away but there are other real problems​

TORONTO, ONTARIO - JULY 29: A TV cameraman prepares to work the exhibition  game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Florida Panthers before the 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Scotiabank Arena on July 29, 2020 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  (Photo by Andre Ringuette/Freestyle Photo/Getty Images)

By Sean Gentille
Feb 1, 2023

A few things about the NHL that’d be necessary to remember if we weren’t constantly reminded of them: The dialogue surrounding the league is often stupid. The news is often bad. And plenty of time, the errors are unforced.

So, with that in mind, there was a bit of data making the rounds on Wednesday morning that seemed to tick all the boxes: U.S. national TV viewership, in the second season of the league’s deal with ESPN and TNT, is down 22 percent from the first, according to Sports Business Journal.

That’s a big drop regardless of the context, and it probably doesn’t bode all that well. Anything the NHL says or does in that space should be treated with a healthy level of skepticism — and all the points Sean McIndoe made Wednesday morning about the (now) 30-year Gary Bettman era applied.

That’s why so many folks on Twitter keyed on it; it matches plenty of our lived experiences, whether we’re fans, folks who cover the sport or both. “NHL uncovers a manhole, then falls into it” isn’t a trope. It’s observed reality, and it’s happened with regularity for … eighteen years? Thirty? One hundred? Did the Montreal Wanderers have a media rights deal to botch?

In this case, though — and maybe only this one — you should think twice before internalizing the ESPN/TNT deal as a failure because there are legitimate explanations for the drops. If this surprises you, you are not alone.

In ESPN’s case, they started using hockey as counter-programming for NBC’s “Sunday Night Football.” Nationally speaking, that’s where other broadcasts go to die; American sports fans, other than ones who root for the teams involved, have better things to do. Folks, you’ll be shocked to hear, would rather watch football or, like, eat dinner.

So in 2021, ESPN reserved that spot for stuff like NBA G-League games (Ignite vs. Grand Rapids Gold on Dec. 19) and the MLB Gold Glove ceremonies, opting instead to go light on NHL coverage during football season. In 2022, the approach changed, along with the decision to go from eight televised games — which undoubtedly got a bump from the return-to-ESPN curiosity factor — to 17, many of which aired against the planet’s most reliable TV juggernaut. Gotta show them somewhere.

And, of course, if you removed those recent Sunday night games from the equation and graded on the same rubric as last season, ratings would rise to an average of 491,000. That’s better than ESPN’s average during the 2021-22 season.

TNT, according to SBJ, has averaged 359,000 viewers over 36 games, which is down 16 percent compared to the 20 games it aired in the same period last season. At least seven games have been affected by regional blackouts. That’s a new wrinkle, and an important one; Bruins broadcasts on TNT, for example, are blacked out in New England because of NESN’s regional rights — and last season, NESN drew an average of 661,000 viewers for those games. It’s a similar story with the Penguins, who typically have the highest local share of ratings in the league. The Rangers were blacked out on TNT, too. New York? Pretty big TV market. Would be nice to have it reflected in the numbers, yeah?

And maybe most crucially, even without that context — if there weren’t blackouts or scheduling decisions to consider — we’re talking about a few months’ worth of games. The NHL’s problems aren’t that new. They aren’t new at all, actually. This season’s salary cap crunch is killing the trade deadline, for sure. But TV ratings from one year to the next in November and December, when deals rarely happen? That’s a tougher sell.

A lack of staggered starts? A pain in the ass for media people and … media people. An overall failure to grow the game? That’s a slow bleed, not a year-over-year cratering. Playing for ties? Boring commentators? Terrible star marketing? A failure to grow the game as a national American TV product, rather than one reliant upon 90,000 people in Southwestern Pennsylvania tuning in like clockwork for all of Sidney Crosby’s games? We’re trying to find the guy who did this.

Those issues are as real as they are long-standing. And they’re not neatly wrapped up in any one data point, let alone something as fickle as TV numbers. Remember it today — and remember it in a few months, after almost 20 ABC games get folded into the calculations. That’ll fix the ratings. The bigger problems aren’t going anywhere.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Never mind that. The exteriors are terrible. No one who lives here or ever has can recognize this town from "The Last Of Us."

There's one frame of a damaged and decayed Custom House Tower, but that's about it.

Most egregious, what's supposed to be the State House looks nothing like the real thing. Not even close.

The Boston angle was my only reason for dropping in. The Zombie Apocalypse thing is a bit tedious at this point.

Enjoy,

:)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

NHL TV ratings drop is easily explained away but there are other real problems​

TORONTO, ONTARIO - JULY 29: A TV cameraman prepares to work the exhibition  game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Florida Panthers before the 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Scotiabank Arena on July 29, 2020 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  (Photo by Andre Ringuette/Freestyle Photo/Getty Images)

By Sean Gentille
Feb 1, 2023

A few things about the NHL that’d be necessary to remember if we weren’t constantly reminded of them: The dialogue surrounding the league is often stupid. The news is often bad. And plenty of time, the errors are unforced.

So, with that in mind, there was a bit of data making the rounds on Wednesday morning that seemed to tick all the boxes: U.S. national TV viewership, in the second season of the league’s deal with ESPN and TNT, is down 22 percent from the first, according to Sports Business Journal.

That’s a big drop regardless of the context, and it probably doesn’t bode all that well. Anything the NHL says or does in that space should be treated with a healthy level of skepticism — and all the points Sean McIndoe made Wednesday morning about the (now) 30-year Gary Bettman era applied.

That’s why so many folks on Twitter keyed on it; it matches plenty of our lived experiences, whether we’re fans, folks who cover the sport or both. “NHL uncovers a manhole, then falls into it” isn’t a trope. It’s observed reality, and it’s happened with regularity for … eighteen years? Thirty? One hundred? Did the Montreal Wanderers have a media rights deal to botch?

In this case, though — and maybe only this one — you should think twice before internalizing the ESPN/TNT deal as a failure because there are legitimate explanations for the drops. If this surprises you, you are not alone.

In ESPN’s case, they started using hockey as counter-programming for NBC’s “Sunday Night Football.” Nationally speaking, that’s where other broadcasts go to die; American sports fans, other than ones who root for the teams involved, have better things to do. Folks, you’ll be shocked to hear, would rather watch football or, like, eat dinner.

So in 2021, ESPN reserved that spot for stuff like NBA G-League games (Ignite vs. Grand Rapids Gold on Dec. 19) and the MLB Gold Glove ceremonies, opting instead to go light on NHL coverage during football season. In 2022, the approach changed, along with the decision to go from eight televised games — which undoubtedly got a bump from the return-to-ESPN curiosity factor — to 17, many of which aired against the planet’s most reliable TV juggernaut. Gotta show them somewhere.

And, of course, if you removed those recent Sunday night games from the equation and graded on the same rubric as last season, ratings would rise to an average of 491,000. That’s better than ESPN’s average during the 2021-22 season.

TNT, according to SBJ, has averaged 359,000 viewers over 36 games, which is down 16 percent compared to the 20 games it aired in the same period last season. At least seven games have been affected by regional blackouts. That’s a new wrinkle, and an important one; Bruins broadcasts on TNT, for example, are blacked out in New England because of NESN’s regional rights — and last season, NESN drew an average of 661,000 viewers for those games. It’s a similar story with the Penguins, who typically have the highest local share of ratings in the league. The Rangers were blacked out on TNT, too. New York? Pretty big TV market. Would be nice to have it reflected in the numbers, yeah?

And maybe most crucially, even without that context — if there weren’t blackouts or scheduling decisions to consider — we’re talking about a few months’ worth of games. The NHL’s problems aren’t that new. They aren’t new at all, actually. This season’s salary cap crunch is killing the trade deadline, for sure. But TV ratings from one year to the next in November and December, when deals rarely happen? That’s a tougher sell.

A lack of staggered starts? A pain in the ass for media people and … media people. An overall failure to grow the game? That’s a slow bleed, not a year-over-year cratering. Playing for ties? Boring commentators? Terrible star marketing? A failure to grow the game as a national American TV product, rather than one reliant upon 90,000 people in Southwestern Pennsylvania tuning in like clockwork for all of Sidney Crosby’s games? We’re trying to find the guy who did this.

Those issues are as real as they are long-standing. And they’re not neatly wrapped up in any one data point, let alone something as fickle as TV numbers. Remember it today — and remember it in a few months, after almost 20 ABC games get folded into the calculations. That’ll fix the ratings. The bigger problems aren’t going anywhere.

Poor Connor Bedard if he doesn't go 82 - 40 - 50 - 90 in year 1.

Reactions: GordonHowe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Slow Horses- on episode 6, loving it
Shrinking- Hilarious so far after 3 episodes
Hunters- finished it, loved it
Squid Games- watched 2 episodes, not my bag
Ginny and Georgia- a compromise for the wife, actually enjoying it
Severance- lasted 3 episodes, simply too slow for me
Ted Lasso- enjoying it, not loving it as expected I would
Three Pines- amazing show
Tulsa King- not a Stallone guy but fun show so far
Mayor of Kingstown- wicked fun

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

How about ESPN does a shitty job of broadcasting hockey. Whenever I hear their broadcast all I can think is this is "hockey for baseball fans."

It doesn't help that the league seems desperate to mold the league into something ESPN would prefer to see. Fighting in particular, I think, has gone away because of the NHL's push to be more like the other sports and more presentable to ESPN.

Lastly, this new TV deal literally hides games on Streaming networks to try and force new subscriptions. That's infuriating and makes you resentful.

In short, f*** ESPN.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
How about ESPN does a shitty job of broadcasting hockey. Whenever I hear their broadcast all I can think is this is "hockey for baseball fans."

It doesn't help that the league seems desperate to mold the league into something ESPN would prefer to see. Fighting in particular, I think, has gone away because of the NHL's push to be more like the other sports and more presentable to ESPN.

Lastly, this new TV deal literally hides games on Streaming networks to try and force new subscriptions. That's infuriating and makes you resentful.

In short, f*** ESPN.

My agreement with your statements is complete, catagorical, and unequivical.

I have always hated ESPN for various reasons, not least their tepid at best, non-existent in practice coverage of the NHL,

blowhard know-nothing dopes

1675459808909.png

crappy treatment of its employees, including on air talent

the fact that it is owned by perhaps the most evil, rapacious media conglomerate on the planet

And, finally, they can't f***ing cover hockey. Their broadcasts, especially their aweful intermission segments, are, in a word, shit.

Now, why?

Because they don't care about hockey. Never have, never will. That's why.

I checked ESPN out last season, out of idle curiosity. I lasted two games, I believe.

If others enjoy ESPN, great. It ain't for me.

PS TNT's coverage blows, too. Sorry.

You like potato and I like potato
You like tomato and I like tomato
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto

Let's call the whole thing off,

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayMakers

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Major Major Frasier fan. All the info per the upcoming "reboot" has been head scratching or suspect. The news that legendary James Burrows will take the helm of at least a few initial episodes is reassuring,

If you're a fan and have Peacock, Hulu or Paramount +, see the last item below,

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just started watching a new show called Extraordinary. It's pretty hilarious so far. I dig it because it's a twist on all the super hero movies, and it's very sarcastic and a little mean spirited. The premise of it is that when you turn 18, you develop your super power and everyone in the world has one. Except for the main character who still has yet to have it come to her and she's 25.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I started watching Gunther's Millions on Netflix. It's not quite as batshit as the Tiger King, but it's pretty batshit. I'd say if you like documentaries on extremely absurd subjects, it's worth a look.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Really, really liking The Last of Us.
Looks like HBO may hit it out of the par again.

Dont know squat about the video game. Dont want to. My boys know it and are forbidden to spoil it for me.

Only 3 episodes in and very impressed.

The game is absolutely incredible. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 2nd one (apparently a 3rd is gonna happen). But the motion capture stuff was ahead of its time. The actors who played the characters in the game will show up on the show. One you have already seen. Which is awesome.

No spoilers, but you are in for a WILD ride.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The game is absolutely incredible. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 2nd one (apparently a 3rd is gonna happen). But the motion capture stuff was ahead of its time. The actors who played the characters in the game will show up on the show. One you have already seen. Which is awesome.

No spoilers, but you are in for a WILD ride.

looking forward to it.
I dont do video games. Last one I owned was Atari in early 80s. No joke.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
looking forward to it.
I dont do video games. Last one I owned was Atari in early 80s. No joke.

Better to have played one than none!

I got my dad Microsoft Flight Simulator over the summer and he loves it. Not much a video game per say, but fun and very exciting nonetheless. My dad's in his 80's and used to fly small planes so this was exciting for him.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Better to have played one than none!

I got my dad Microsoft Flight Simulator over the summer and he loves it. Not much a video game per say, but fun and very exciting nonetheless. My dad's in his 80's and used to fly small planes so this was exciting for him.

my kids got me Oculus virtual thing. I tried it but gave me vertigo. I guess just not my thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad