OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There is app on Facebook where family and friends can check in as safe its awfully reassuring to get the notifications.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
They are. So is her husband and two children who were in the area. Thank you. But we still have a few friends who were there who we haven't heard from.

Hope your friends are okay Jim.

Really getting tired of hearing all of these kind of attacks so often now. :(

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Yup, it's an easy call. People (probably not an insignificant number) are going to die because of this game, and Ninendo will eventually shut it down.

Then his brother has the...testicular fortitude....to do this

Millennial? Gotta be a millennial.

Yep horrific attack occurred at Bastille day celebration

Large truck rammed into crowd and ran over a lot of people

30 dead , 100+ injured official count so far 60 dead is floating around as a figure as well but unconfirmed

A) I am REALLY getting sick of this ****

B) I am REALLY getting sick of the media's reaction (e.g. What's important to remember is that we must not jump to conclusions about who did this and what their motive might be) to this ****.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
edit: responded out of context of conversation above, didnt read it right away

I missed it...did you say something inappropriate and funny? If so I approve. Irreverence bordering
on crass is funny and soothing to me. It's how I deal with most of my life. What else can you do in a powerless situation?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I fear we are all becoming desensitized to all of this. I hope we never allow this to become the new normal.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I fear we are all becoming desensitized to all of this. I hope we never allow this to become the new normal.

Another day, another mass murder Islamic terrorist attack.

Someone better get REAL serious about this, REAL quick. My patience with this is growing thin, and I pray most Americans share that opinion, or nothing will change & many more will die.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Is it bad that I'm glad that watching the video makes me want to literally throw up? Makes me think I'm not desentiszed yet.

To call this horrific is an understatement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The depressing/disturbing photo of dead child covered with sheet and doll laying alongside body should be on every major newspaper/telecast to really hit home the horror of today's attack

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The sad thing is that fewer people die to senseless violence now than at any other point in history just about. Humanity is simply a flawed existence.

Also blaming a game for people navigating unsafely is the same scapegoating that media has been doing for decades about blaming games, tv, music they don't like, or what have you for all the things those categories get blamed for, rather than the true culprit, ****** parenting and people brought up believing the world revolves around them.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I missed it...did you say something inappropriate and funny? If so I approve. Irreverence bordering
on crass is funny and soothing to me. It's how I deal with most of my life. What else can you do in a powerless situation?

no, just commenting on people being too connected with technology then realized after reading above that this situation is a different story.

people are ****ed

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The sad thing is that fewer people die to senseless violence now than at any other point in history just about. Humanity is simply a flawed existence.

Also blaming a game for people navigating unsafely is the same scapegoating that media has been doing for decades about blaming games, tv, music they don't like, or what have you for all the things those categories get blamed for, rather than the true culprit, ****** parenting and people brought up believing the world revolves around them.

I'd add "instant gratification" to that list, especially among people younger than say...... oh.... 30 years old or so.

I blame the internet.

Think about this: If you're younger than 25 years old, you've never known life without the internet, and this is an amazing and bizarre concept to me.

For these people, everything, their entire life, has been at the touch of a button.

Boredom? There's an app for that
Games and fun? Imagination not necessary.
Outdoorsman skills? Who goes outdoors anyway.
Directional / map skills? That's dumb, we have GPS.
Social skills? Communicating with human being is overrated.

And 1,000,000 other examples. Everything is now instantaneous, and at the touch of a button. Thinking is becoming endangered.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'd add "instant gratification" to that list, especially among people younger than say...... oh.... 30 years old or so.

I blame the internet.

Think about this: If you're younger than 25 years old, you've never known life without the internet, and this is an amazing and bizarre concept to me.

For these people, everything, their entire life, has been at the touch of a button.

And 1,000,000 other examples. Everything is now instantaneous, and at the touch of a button. Thinking is becoming endangered.

this burns me the most, i know people that cant/wont go a few blocks without google maps…..and they trust it and when a wrong turn happens they again rely on the computer to get them back on course.

yes, thinking IS endangered :rant:

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

I mean I'm 22 and I go on hikes for the pure hell of it with friends, but I'll admit we'd be ****ed without our phones as GPS devices out in the woods.

I have never used a compass in my life.

this burns me the most, i know people that cant/wont go a few blocks without google maps…..and they trust it and when a wrong turn happens they again rely on the computer to get them back on course.

yes, thinking IS endangered :rant:

A few blocks? People don't even know their neighborhoods anymore? That's some next-level ****.

I find it hysterical when I go into the City with some friends and I'll be walking ahead of everybody like, "This way, guys." Meanwhile, they're like, "Uh, OK..." as they try to hide the fact that they're making sure I know where I'm going with Google Maps.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

The internet picks up EVERY act of violence now. So it's always in front of us.

It's like holding a bar and its bartenders legally liable for some drunk irresponsible jerk when they get into a wreck.

Gosh I was so close. I'm sticking with my Grand Canyon call though. That's ripe for happening.

The Grand Canyon would be outstanding, but I think some idiot walks off a pier and plunges 50 feet into the water and gets slammed into a pylon by a wave.

no, just commenting on people being too connected with technology then realized after reading above that this situation is a different story.

people are ****ed

HAHAHAHA...I forgot about this.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I mean I'm 22 and I go on hikes for the pure hell of it with friends, but I'll admit we'd be ****ed without our phones as GPS devices out in the woods.

I have never used a compass in my life.

That's another great example. When I was a kid (and it's not like I'm that old) pretty much every little boy could use one. Either from Cub Scouts / Boy Scouts, or because someone taught them it was important for camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc..

Makes me wonder what people are going to do when they get lost in the woods and their phone's battery dies.

The Grand Canyon would be outstanding, but I think some idiot walks off a pier and plunges 50 feet into the water and gets slammed into a pylon by a wave.

That's very specific, way to commit.

This could be an interesting morbid predictions game. I think "Fatal car crash" is going to come off the board quick. Came real close a few days ago in upstate NY:

An Auburn, N.Y., man told police that he swerved into a tree Tuesday night while trying to play Pokémon Go, reports Syracuse.com. The 28-year-old player suffered no serious injuries, however, the entire front end of his car was mangled in the crash.

http://jalopnik.com/pokemon-go-user-playing-while-driving-successfully-catc-1783609111

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Everyone should have a lesson with a compass and a topographical map. My dad use to have huge USGS topo maps backed by cardboard. They were about 3'x3' for different locations.

I must have been 7 or 8 years old when my Dad first taught me about ridges and elevation on a topo map. Then he would quiz me on the best routes to get from point A to point B and I would have to answer in compass bearing degrees.

Then in the summer of 1981 just before my 11th birthday he dropped me off in the Delaware water gap and gave me a bearing and told me he'd be waiting at point B one mile away. He said if you hit the river you went to far..lol. I think that would be considered child abuse today. I found him though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad