OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Some cat 5 stats.

Starting with Mathew, there have been 3 cat 5's in the last year.

Prior to that there were zero cat 5's going back to Felix in 07.

But between 1998 and 2007 there were 9 cat 5's.

Didn't hear anyone say hurricanes were "getting weaker" over the last 10 years (which is good, because that would be equally silly).

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I didn't say anybody did, I was just posting some stats.

I realize that. It was just another point I was making off of the getting stronger theory, in that you cant have it both ways. As was my 1930s commenting.

Net/net, the reason all this focus has been poured on this recently is due to the fact we're having an exceptionally strong hurricane season, which might end-up the strongest on record, combined with the fact that unfortunately these storms have made landfalls, so they get more attention due to the destruction they've caused (e.g. Puerto Rico is getting hammered today), versus a random impressive XYZ hurricane that goes Cat 5 over some whales and fish.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure if it is fun or torture waiting for the UPS man to bring a present?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's true we don't know what happened prior to point in time X(whether that be 1990, 1970, or 1851) so when people go on about "unprecedented", or "in history" there is a large amount of hyperbole there. However we should not say, "well we don't know, thus we can assume things were equal", at least not in a debate which centers around changing weather patterns.

Now, we should also point out the discussion here has been strictly about the Atlantic basin, which makes up a pretty small % of global hurricanes, I think I read about 13%. And unfortunately I've been finding it pretty difficult to find the global data in regards to the total energy produced by hurricanes.

There are a couple metrics by which they measure tropical storms, the most popular seems to be ACE (others are IKE and TIKE but I can find very little on those), and again much easier to find stuff regarding ACE in the Atlantic basin then globally.

BUT, and this one is big for BG's argument, by this metric, and going back through 1970's ish, it appears the time frame between 2010ish and 2015 was historically(see what I did there) low in terms of total global hurricane energy.

Was not able to find anything yet on 2016, and of course 2017 is still ongoing.

The database for the Pacific isn't anywhere near as extensive as the Atlantic Basin. I don't think reliable record keeping stretches much further past the 70s. Makes sense with how big the Pacific is and how spread out land is.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm not sure if it is fun or torture waiting for the UPS man to bring a present?

UPS stands for Under Paid Slave

i know as i did it for 6 months in 2000

what a joke it was…..part time, 4.5 hours a day….and get this, it wouldve taken 3 years to get full time because of the **** ass teamsters union deal

all for the great wage of $11.15

…..i went to a ween concert one night, got loaded and never went back to work there again,

my phone rang for 3 days from those ********s

and to think i let someone touch my balls to get the job :shakehead physical for hernia

…..and ya, enjoy the vise with your vices ;)

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

i know as i did it for 6 months in 2000

what a joke it was…..part time, 4.5 hours a day….and get this, it wouldve taken 3 years to get full time because of the **** ass teamsters union deal

all for the great wage of $11.15

…..i went to a ween concert one night, got loaded and never went back to work there again,

my phone rang for 3 days from those ********s

and to think i let someone touch my balls to get the job :shakehead physical for hernia

…..and ya, enjoy the vise with your vices ;)

I laughed out loud at the last three sentences.:laugh::handclap:

Not showing up for work and the phone ringing for 3 days, just made me laugh more than it would probably make most people laugh. Just envisioning the phone going off and you not answering.:laugh:

I got your balls reference right away. You don't know how many times I've been asked ''When was your last physical?'' over the last few years. It's mostly from older people too. So I always ask them right back ''Have you gotten one lately?'' and they always nod that they haven't haha.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I actually laughed out load too.

And then I thought maybe I should apply for a job there?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually laughed out load too.

And then I thought maybe I should apply for a job there?

My friend down here works for UPS. Him and his wife rave about it all the time. He's probably been there for 20 years or more. His wife was raving about the health care plan. I think he gets a pension after however many years.

From what it sounds like, it's not a terrible job when you graduate to driving the truck. Working in the warehouse sucks, such is the case with most warehouse jobs.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

i know as i did it for 6 months in 2000.............all for the great wage of $11.15

I'm surprised to hear that. I worked part-time for UPS on college break one summer and was paid $20/hour as a "revenue recovery clerk".

And given the absolute destruction of the US dollar over the last decade (which most Americans are completely oblivious to), that's akin to $30.60/hour in 2017 money when adjusted for inflation, which seems pretty good for part-time with no college degree.

It seemed like a lot of money to a college kid, and I actually liked the job. It only lasted 2 weeks though, as I left because I thought the walk was unsafe at night. There was no onsite parking and I had to walk about 1/4 mile in the dark at 11pm and it seemed shady.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
From what it sounds like, it's not a terrible job when you graduate to driving the truck.

Both UPS and FedEx pay their truck drivers fantastically. Over $70k a year with great healthcare and benefits for people with no degree? That's awesome. My gf's ex-roommate is a FedEx driver and married another FedEx driver, and they live very well, beautiful house, etc... They've both worked there for > 20 years though, so I don't know how long it takes to summit their pay scale.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The UPS drivers seem to do well in terms of pay and benefits, but they work them like dogs. And then get all matrix like in their monitoring of their every move. At least the ones in my area.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
UPS sucks, I worked unload and later on Sort aisle for a little over 2 years. worst company i've worked for, unless you've been there for many, many, years.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
UPS sucks, I worked unload and later on Sort aisle for a little over 2 years. worst company i've worked for, unless you've been there for many, many, years.

I once had a Rags fan ups driver write Go Rangers on my season tickets package.

I went to their Parsippany site and made a formal complaint.

Hope he was disciplined.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So some jackazz from the city shot someone's dog last night, and now the township is going to have a meeting about potentially amending the archery rules where I live.

How about we just amend the rules keeping people from the city out of Hunterdon County instead?

As soon as I read this story today, I KNEW it was going to be some moron from the city playing "hunter" and not someone who grew up in Hunterdon, even though statistically there's probably a 98% chance if you randomly find someone hunting in the county, they're probably from the county. I hope this ahole loses his hunting license for YEARS. :rant:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hope that's the douchiest thing you've ever done in your life.

Meh.

I have a sense of humor but I'm not one to ignore or reward bad behavior or service.

I had prior issues with UPS leaving packages by my mailbox on the street rather than being brought to my house, one was stolen.

I had already spoke to a manager over the phone about it.
I had no issues with Fed Ex on the other hand.

Then a few weeks later the UPS driver writes something ******* on my season tickets package that I was psyched to receive.

I doubt any action was taken since the drivers have a powerful union.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad