The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 54.2%
  • B

Votes: 135 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 33 8.7%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think you're a great poster but there's some ignorance in this post.

Tampa Bay never rebuilt. They kept everyone and the little they did trade they either re-signed in the same off-season to a long-term deal (Prospal) or to try and get a starting goalie and depth (Richards for Smith and Jokinen).

Pittsburgh was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Colorado are a bit of an odd one. They went half-rebuild/half-compete and were in the abyss for roughly ten years.
Regardless of whether you want to classify it as a rebuild or tanking or scorched earth or any other term is irrelevant to the point that it takes a lot of time to climb out of the basement and expecting us to do it quicker then pretty much every other successful basement to cup team is a case of fans being impatient and not understanding what rebuilding actually entails.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Regardless of whether you want to classify it as a rebuild or tanking or scorched earth or any other term is irrelevant to the point that it takes a lot of time to climb out of the basement and expecting us to do it quicker then pretty much every other successful basement to cup team is a case of fans being impatient and not understanding what rebuilding actually entails.

That's the point, TB drafted Stamkos in '08 and were in the Conference Finals in '11 after acquiring grizzled vet Dwayne Roloson mid-year. Then they missed a couple of times again. They never sold anyone.

There's no point in bringing them up. They didn't do anything like us at all. That matters. They're not an example. They were always trying to compete. Much like the Blackhawks in the 00s.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
But what about that winning culture that was so important when we should have been tanking harder?
I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways...
Many of those teams also didn't try to tank harder, Tampa for example kept Lecavalier and St-Louis while rebuilding with Stamkos and Hedman. Chicago was making trades for guys like Havlat and signing the top UFAs at the time like Khavibuhlin even while going through the rebuild.

That's the point, TB drafted Stamkos in '08 and were in the Conference Finals in '11 after acquiring grizzled vet Dwayne Roloson mid-year. Then they missed a couple of times again. They never sold anyone.

There's no point in bringing them up. They didn't do anything like us at all. That matters. They're not an example. They were always trying to compete. Much like the Blackhawks in the 00s.
And then they ended up back in the basement in the two years after that. Which shows that rebuilds take time, aren't linear, and there will be ups and downs where it seems the team seems to regress before they figure it out.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The only hard tanks that won the Cup post-lockout are Pittsburgh and Washington.

Many of those teams also didn't try to tank harder, Tampa for example kept Lecavalier and St-Louis while rebuilding with Stamkos and Hedman. Chicago was making trades for guys like Havlat and signing the top UFAs at the time like Khavibuhlin even while going through the rebuild.

And then they ended up back in the basement in the two years after that. Which shows that rebuilds take time, aren't linear, and there will be ups and downs where it seems the team seems to regress before they figure it out.

For sure but I'll take a Conference final (/s) over another season in the dumps (that management is actively trying to get out of). If the year looks like the first 7 games, it's a massive failure. Period. Injuries are an absolute bitch so I won't call for anyone's head but the honeymoon needs to end. We need to see serious improvement. Our apex four years in can't be 22-23 with a worse year following that. That's alarming.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I assume that HuGO don't want to thank the season, and that they'd be likely to trade for help if this keeps up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I get what you are saying but we have not made any significant strides to fall back on since Day 1 of the rebuild.
It's easy to see it happens but take New Jersey for example they played a shitload of one goal games the year prior to breaking through.
That they fell back the next season is irrelevant to the fact that they broke through.

I was all in for 2 years of complete desolation no matter what but in year two we started winning too many games in a hugely impactful draft.
I bought into the kool aid that a winning culture was more important for a young team despite feeling it was utter BS.
Not having players like Lecavalier and St Louis in the fold makes it worse not better.
So now if we fall back to the Sharks level of ineptitude how will that be looked on as okay?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The only hard tanks that won the Cup post-lockout are Pittsburgh and Washington.

For sure but I'll take a Conference final (/s) over another season in the dumps (that management is actively trying to get out of). If the year looks like the first 7 games, it's a massive failure. Period. Injuries are an absolute bitch so I won't call for anyone's head but the honeymoon needs to end. We need to see serious improvement. Our apex four years in can't be 22-23 with a worse year following that. That's alarming.
We all would love to see big steps being taken by players and the team, but no a step back isn't some massive failure it's a completely normal part of development and progress. Hughes even talked about how we might see a step back and not to panic when talking about expectations for Slafkovsky this season, and the same is true for the team.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I assume that HuGO don't want to thank the season, and that they'd be likely to trade for help if this keeps up.

They've stated they are always looking to get better, but at the right price, for the right player, without impeding on their long term plans, which is slowly, but surely, getting better. In other words, they won't be looking for quick easy fixes that would jeapordize their commitment to long term building.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We all would love to see big steps being taken by players and the team, but no a step back isn't some massive failure it's a completely normal part of development and progress. Hughes even talked about how we might see a step back and not to panic when talking about expectations for Slafkovsky this season, and the same is true for the team.

Hard disagree from me. The team hasn't shown anywhere near enough potential that a step-back isn't a problem. No way.

They've stated they are always looking to get better, but at the right price, for the right player, without impeding on their long term plans, which is slowly, but surely, getting better. In other words, they won't be looking for quick easy fixes that would jeapordize their commitment to long term building.

Which is what we hear all the time from every rebuilding club in the league. It's in page 11 of the GM's manual to rebuilding. Means absolutely nothing.

'I would love to get better today all the while building a long-term project'

Yeah, who doesn't?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
💯

It’s not about wins or loses. At the start of the year I said they would get about the same points they did last year.

It’s about how they are playing. I don’t care if they lose but play with energy, show up at puck drop, and don’t get globetrotted for minutes on end in their own zone.

Work hard and be competitive, ffs, is that too much to ask at this point of the rebuild? How anyone can watch these 7 games not expect more is crazy.

At some point you have to stop using the “rebuild” as an excuse and expect more.
Amen!
Team also started to cover him a lot more, it's not like there is anyone else to cover on the team outside of the first line anyhow.
👍

Beck is starting to look like our most valuable prospect. Demidov is incredible but Beck seems like someone who can bring leadership, strength and grit to group of skilled guys who are as soft as tissue paper.
He has impressed me watching him skate and compete in Laval. He throws solid hits too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hard disagree from me. The team hasn't shown anywhere near enough potential that a step-back isn't a problem. No way.

Which is what we hear all the time from every rebuilding club in the league. It's in page 11 of the GM's manual to rebuilding. Means absolutely nothing.

'I would love to get better today all the while building a long-term project'

Yeah, who doesn't?

The Habs are asset rich. They have cap space, tons of B prospects, and tons of 2nd and 3rd round picks.

They could have pulled off the equivalent of the Laine acquisition a few times over.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Given that a step back also means a better draft pick then I don't see why not showing enough potential would make it a problem, if anything getting the better draft pick is more important to the team who hasn't shown enough potential.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Given that a step back also means a better draft pick then I don't see why not showing enough potential would make it a problem, if anything getting the better draft pick is more important to the team who hasn't shown enough potential.

I'd rather the guys we've actually drafted and have on board lead us to win more games, personally. That way it doesn't feel like we're behind the eight-ball. I'd rather pick 11th this year than 5th.

Man, given the teams in our division, I don't see how you guys don't look around and are okay with another lottery pick. It's like you look at Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo and go 'yes, I want'

There's nothing better for a rebuild than your young guys leading you to wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad