The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 197 58.3%
  • B

Votes: 118 34.9%
  • C

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We really need a 1C and 1RD talent in the pipeline. Hopefully we can address the C issue this draft.
We have 3 players with 1C upside if Demidov ends up at center and Suzuki is already a 1C.

These definitions are just silly tropes imo that don't mean much given the wide variance in opinions about who is and is not a 1C, 1D etc.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Many of us are rightfully numbed by doom and gloom but there is still plenty to look forward to this season. A potentially healthy Dach, Hutson, the continuing adventures of The Slaf*, an even more mature Suzuki*, a potentially healthier shouldered Caufield, Guhle, Monty/Primeau. I am still fully invested despite the frustration.

*Seriously, this could be an incredible year for Slaf/Suzuki

Should i bump back the thread?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I expect a pretty terrible season honestly, but I'm cheering for the playoffs and if this team is able to stay in the hunt it will be a great sign for our rebuild. The sooner we can get this team to compete the better because we have plenty of good prospects and draft picks that aren't in the NHL we can keep bringing guys in on ELCs to stay competitive.

Demidov, Hutson, Slaf, and Suzuki will be the core of this team IMO. I see them as a tier above Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Reinbacher etc. Just need these guys and a few others to stay healthy and improve and we should be in good shape.

At goalie, we can't just wait for Fowler though. If Monty and Primeau show they aren't legit #1s this year we will need to address the situation.
I have to agree. The core are the younger guys that are yet to arrive (Demidov, top 10 2025, Hage) or those aren’t near their peak at all (Slaf, Hutson, Reinbacher). Not that Suzuki, Caufield or Dach aren’t important, you need ‘’older’’ players when they’ll be ready to win but the make up of this team will be a lot different when we’ll see them really compete.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I maintain my 82 points.
So you should if things worked out last season as planned I'm convinced we would be there or very very close to that already.
I suggested it would be a normal projection coming off the bottom and this year would be the crossover into positive territory.
I think most fans understand what it will take to reach that neutral zone and we should be good to go.
We still have a couple of immovable objects that aren't a great fit for what really ails us.
I also think many fans understand until we address the general softness on this roster we won't go beyond.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Even without Laine we are still a better team then we were last year so we should still expect a increase in points and move up the standings. Laine was a luxury if he worked out but he was never required as part of the rebuilding process for us to be better. Even without Laine we have better secondary scoring then we did last year, the D is likely to be better, and our goalies look better too.
People seem to forget long before Laine was even an option there were some very positive projections for this team.
It still hinges on Kirby Dach staying healthy but even then we have far better call up depth than last season.
It all adds up. The only thing I worry about is if the team gets discouraged.
It's a tough mental task knowing you probably aren't going to end up where you thought you'd be at the end of February.
We know this team will have to outwork it's opponents every night and that it still won't be enough.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fwd group is too soft. Opponents have no problem running our core players because there's hardly any retaliation risk.

THIS PISSED ME OFF SO f***ING MUCH.
Suzuki comes off the All Star break puts the team on his back and this was always going to be the end result.
We all know it we all saw it down the stretch last year and against the Marlies the other night.
A lot of questionable stick work and harassment directed at Suzuki and Slaf. It got Slaf off his game to the point he decided to drop them.
This was the reason my off season moves would have been geared to addressing this shit before trying to land the vaunted top six addition.
Unless the addition was designed to address this. f***ing bullshit contracts and soft nothing players are killing me.
We didn't even get one hard nosed SOB roster ready player which is the biggest failure to date IMO.
Thank you for bringing this up again.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Key take away from interview with Gorton. They're really thinking of how to carefully add the right key pieces to this young core, including making sure we're big enough:

Caufield - Suzuki - Salf
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Roy - Hage - Newhook
Kapanen - Beck - Heineman
Xhekaj, Tuch, Mesar, Farrell, Erikson, etc..

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble, Engstrom, Barron

Fowler
Montembeault
Dobes, Primeau

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Beer and Chips

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
We really need a 1C and 1RD talent in the pipeline. Hopefully we can address the C issue this draft.
Reinbacher is a 1RD talent. Stop thinking the management are idiots at drafting and trust them a bit. They made mistakes by trading high picks for Newhook and Dach, I would've prefered picks and a Nazar instead to add even more young prospects with higher potential than a 40 pts guy in Newhook IMO. But give Reinbacher 3 years please. Hedman didnt show any sign until 4-5 years

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Reinbacher is a 1RD talent. Stop thinking the management are idiots at drafting and trust them a bit. They made mistakes by trading high picks for Newhook and Dach, I would've prefered picks and a Nazar instead to add even more young prospects with higher potential than a 40 pts guy in Newhook IMO. But give Reinbacher 3 years please. Hedman didnt show any sign until 4-5 years
? Hedman had an identical season to Reinbacher in a far better league during his draft year and then dropped 20 points in the NHL in his d+1. Sure it took him a few years to get to the 50 point mark, but he was way ahead of Reinbacher at the same age.

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
? Hedman had an identical season to Reinbacher in a far better league during his draft year and then dropped 20 points in the NHL in his d+1. Sure it took him a few years to get to the 50 point mark, but he was way ahead of Reinbacher at the same age.
? almost no elite d man in the history showed signs before age 22

Reinbacher couldve easily played this year if there was room for him. Hedman came in an EMPTY club. Please compare apples to apples. Hedman had 5 straight seasons under 25 pts also. Im not sure what your argument is here?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
? almost no elite d man in the history showed signs before age 22

Reinbacher couldve easily played this year if there was room for him. Hedman came in an EMPTY club. Please compare apples to apples. Hedman had 5 straight seasons under 25 pts also. Im not sure what your argument is here?
Well that's patently false. Not only is it false, but nearly EVERY elite dman in NHL history showed signs before the age of 22.

Reinbacher could not have played this year based on the games we saw from him. He was nowhere near ready, which is fine, but let's not pretend his development is on par with Hedman's.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This team lacked big picture. They were amont most injured team since last 3 years and they start the pre-season with a top 3 having a fight (Slaf),
a bad luck injury to a rookie,
and a top player who drives the puck at his full vs ahl plugs and oh, a major injury happen, surprise heh?

One of old thing with pre seasons games is not getting injured. It was true in 1940, was the same in 1970, this is nothing new. Don't push the machine too much in those games. It's a deception Habs have 2 major injuries now. They deserve a bad note for that.

Imagine if Slaf was KO and injured seriously in his fight, what this board would be today, in addition of Laine and Rein.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
gangdamateurs.gif

• Haha

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Alright, up to Yo-Elle 2.0 to hold down the fort while Laine is recovering.

Please Yo-Elle stay Super Saiyan for a few more months. 🙏

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad