The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 197 58.3%
  • B

Votes: 118 34.9%
  • C

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It's true that many players need a large chunk of time to fully heal and move past the 'injury-prone' tag. We saw it with Monahan, as we did with Markov years ago, as we hopefully will with Dach.

Unfortunately, Laine just came back from a long recovery stretch. He missed almost all of last season and now looks like he'll miss all of this one. Not good.
I could see hugo offer him a 4 yr extension at $3.5m/ prior to next season..

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Athletic's model is projecting the bottom of the league as:

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

This projection is with Laine missing 41 games. Missing the whole season drops the projection to 79 points.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

This projection is with Laine missing 41 games. Missing the whole season drops the projection to 79 points.
Dach and Hutson don’t make a dent? Lol
This must be from that that Dom guy who had Suzuki as one of worst contracts in league.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

I hope we're either in the WC hunt till the end, or out of it before the deadline and in full selling/tank mode that gets us top 3-5 lottery spot.

6-10 would be the worst, bad enough that we're out of WC chase early but too good to be in finish with high odds for top 3 pick

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

their model projects half a season of Laine as being worth 1.6 points in the standings? Well okey dokey.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

I'll take those odds. I think we're going to surprise people.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I hope we're either in the WC hunt till the end, or out of it before the deadline and in full selling/tank mode that gets us top 3-5 lottery spot.

6-10 would be the worst, bad enough that we're out of WC chase early but too good to be in finish with high odds for top 3 pick

Don’t see this team being in wild card hunt. Cutoff was 91pts last year, that would mean a 15 point jump in the standings.

I bet they are out of the hunt by the end of November. And if that’s the case all UFAs should be moved.

Next summer buyout gally and Andy. Spend some money, use some assets and fix the gross bottom six, and add a top 4 RD.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I expect a pretty terrible season honestly, but I'm cheering for the playoffs and if this team is able to stay in the hunt it will be a great sign for our rebuild. The sooner we can get this team to compete the better because we have plenty of good prospects and draft picks that aren't in the NHL we can keep bringing guys in on ELCs to stay competitive.

Demidov, Hutson, Slaf, and Suzuki will be the core of this team IMO. I see them as a tier above Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Reinbacher etc. Just need these guys and a few others to stay healthy and improve and we should be in good shape.

At goalie, we can't just wait for Fowler though. If Monty and Primeau show they aren't legit #1s this year we will need to address the situation.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I expect a pretty terrible season honestly, but I'm cheering for the playoffs and if this team is able to stay in the hunt it will be a great sign for our rebuild. The sooner we can get this team to compete the better because we have plenty of good prospects and draft picks that aren't in the NHL we can keep bringing guys in on ELCs to stay competitive.

Demidov, Hutson, Slaf, and Suzuki will be the core of this team IMO. I see them as a tier above Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Reinbacher etc. Just need these guys and a few others to stay healthy and improve and we should be in good shape.

At goalie, we can't just wait for Fowler though. If Monty and Primeau show they aren't legit #1s this year we will need to address the situation.
They don't need goaltenders. Monty will be fine. If Primeau falters Dobes is good enough to be a 1a/1b with Monty.

Reactions: Miller Time

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

1. San Jose 64.7 points
2. Columbus 68.6 points
3. Anaheim 70.1 points
4. Chicago 77.1 points
5. Calgary 78.9 points
6. Montreal 80.6 points

I maintain my 82 points.

Reactions: Rapala

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Dach needs to show he's not made of glass and is capable of genuinely carrying a 2nd line for this team to rise up. A one line team isn't going to get us far.

Many of us are rightfully numbed by doom and gloom but there is still plenty to look forward to this season. A potentially healthy Dach, Hutson, the continuing adventures of The Slaf*, an even more mature Suzuki*, a potentially healthier shouldered Caufield, Guhle, Monty/Primeau. I am still fully invested despite the frustration.

*Seriously, this could be an incredible year for Slaf/Suzuki

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Many of us are rightfully numbed by doom and gloom but there is still plenty to look forward to this season. A potentially healthy Dach, Hutson, the continuing adventures of The Slaf*, an even more mature Suzuki*, a potentially healthier shouldered Caufield, Guhle, Monty/Primeau. I am still fully invested despite the frustration.

I’ll watch just to see the adventures of Hutson.

I’m resigned to what this season now is but I fully expect Hugo to improve this team next offseason.

Ideally Monty is a backup
I don’t know about that. He has come a long way since he arrived. I’m very comfortable with Monty as the starter. Think he will look a lot better when this team tightens up in its own end.

Primeau, not so much.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’ll watch just to see the adventures of Hutson.

I’m resigned to what this season now is but I fully expect Hugo to improve this team next offseason.

I don’t know about that. He has come a long way since he arrived. I’m very comfortable with Monty as the starter. Think he will look a lot better when this team tightens up in its own end.

Primeau, not so much.
They did a really good job with Montembault. He couldn’t stop a beach ball the first year he was here and there were holes all over in his game. He became what I think they were originally hoping Allen could be which is a good platoon goalie until one of the younger guys are ready. He’s capable of being a good goalie if you don’t over work him which is what you would expect from a $3 million dollar guy.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Should i bump back the thread?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

I have to agree. The core are the younger guys that are yet to arrive (Demidov, top 10 2025, Hage) or those aren’t near their peak at all (Slaf, Hutson, Reinbacher). Not that Suzuki, Caufield or Dach aren’t important, you need ‘’older’’ players when they’ll be ready to win but the make up of this team will be a lot different when we’ll see them really compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad