The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 128 55.7%
  • B

Votes: 86 37.4%
  • C

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I have a B but am optimistic a year or two for now id give an A. I have a lot of faith in this management team. My reasoning for giving a B is the "easy part" of the rebuild is over. The Habs are about to navigate the part of the rebuild where other teams like Buffalo, Ottawa and maybe Detroit have failed in recent years. As the thing I care about most is ultimately results, I'll be a lot more happy to give an A once HuGo has navigated that stage, and I am optimistic that they'll be successful in doing so

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If I’m to take Gorton at his end of season words “this is an extremely important offseason for our plan to take the step to the next level” and if the roster makeup stands as it is today I give HuGo a C.

However, I expect a move or moves prior to season opening roster
Absolutely agree............the season starts in 3 months so they get that time from me.
There will be moves.....thinking one big move, to aquire a forward, and a smaller move to help the bottom 6 also.

Too early for me to vote guys..............but I am liking this offseason because of such a good first round at the draft.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I concur. Management has a definite plan, and all their moves so far fit well within that plan. They have demonstrated patience instead of rushing things that do not fit in their vision. All the moves will not work (they never do), but so far things make sense.

I'm reading this tread and I see people flagging that the team still miss some key pieces. My reaction to this is... where did they miss the chance to acquire those missing pieces? This year they could have drafter that true #1D... but that would have been at the expense of Demidov. would that be a better decision? not at all! So all decision have to be asset in light of the context, you can get what is not available.

So I agree with you, they have a plan and are acting in line of that plan. I also think that they have position the team well to address holes moving forward. the lack of trade since the end of the season isn't a sign of management being done or satisfied with they work.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
If I’m to take Gorton at his end of season words “this is an extremely important offseason for our plan to take the step to the next level” and if the roster makeup stands as it is today I give HuGo a C.

However, I expect a move or moves prior to season opening roster
You give them a c cause they overpaid for free agents ?
What about drafting demidov and hage ? To me that was more what gorton was insinuating the key improvement comes from instead a sign or a trade

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Can't give a A if the top 2 guys are from Bergevin.

Next step is finding someone better than Suzuki and Guhle to complement them. Maybe they are already here. Time will tell.

:teach:
You're right that some of our most important players were drafted under Bergevin. But it was Hughes who established a salary standard and locked them up on team-friendly contracts.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
B for me. He's tried to accelerate it somewhat, but its not clear that Dach and Newhook bets will work out. I've generally liked his drafting, but its been more good than great in aggregate (we'll see how it improves).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I don't think anyone knows right now. It's too early to grade them. So far I think they have done a decent job, but I still think there are huge question marks around Dach. And while I really like some things we have done, I don't think they were necessarily genius moves or anything. Like, when Demidov drops to fifth, at that point you have to take him.

I like that we have committed to the rebuild process and that we are being patient.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You give them a c cause they overpaid for free agents ?
What about drafting demidov and hage ? To me that was more what gorton was insinuating the key improvement comes from instead a sign or a trade
Read what I said carefully: Gorton said pretty matter of factly, the need to take the next step this upcoming season, and this offseason is the “most critical of their plan, we have assets and picks to help achieve that aspiration”.

Hughes responded a few days later, we don’t expect to be picking top-5 again and expect to be competing towards a playoff spot.

If those words are to be taken seriously and the roster remains as is then… yes they get a C grade.

But like I said, I expect a move or multiple moves upcoming especially since no F of any value has been moved on the trade market

Reactions: Gustave

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So far I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure if we have that franchise player that a lot of Cup winners have, but we have a lot of young players with a ton of upside. I'm looking forward to the team taking the next step in the coming seasons.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
B (but really it's a B+)

Suzuki and Guhle are budget 1C/1D but if we can land actual ones then we're flying high. Also need to improve on goaltending big time.

Aside from that...great contracts, drafting and we're headed in the right direction.

Reactions: Milhouse40

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
B (but really it's a B+)

Suzuki and Guhle are budget 1C/1D but if we can land actual ones then we're flying high. Also need to improve on goaltending big time.

Aside from that...great contracts, drafting and we're headed in the right direction.

Guhle might be the #3 D by the time everyone arrives. Chicago won 3 cups with Toews and no one else at C. If Habs can assemble a deep C, I'm good with Suzuki at 1C

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Guhle might be the #3 D by the time everyone arrives. Chicago won 3 cups with Toews and no one else at C. If Habs can assemble a deep C, I'm good with Suzuki at 1C

Good point about Toews, although he was one of the best defensive centers of his generation. I don't think the same can be said about Suzuki but hopefully he'll makes up for it with better offense.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
My main concern is the defensive side of the puck. We have some solid building pieces at forward, but things need to truly start taking shape defensively. In terms of the roster and also the tactical maturity of the squad in general. The 2010s blackhawks were fun to watch offensively speaking, but the puck rarely stayed on their end more than 4-5 seconds. It was out immediately. They were really underrated defensively.

I'm not sold on the Montembro and Primeau tandem either.

I think the following 2 years are critical for Hughes, he needs to start identifying his core 4 at D. And start adding experience and proven talent through trades.

He'll have the cap space and assets to mold this squad into a contender for the next decade.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
C because naming drafted players with 0 pro games played is not enough to say it's a good rebuild

Well, I didn't expected to be just about what they have done....but more about what they should be doing at this point.

Having said that, the rebuild goes throught tons of players I listed that are on the roster as we speak.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
My main concern is the defensive side of the puck. We have some solid building pieces at forward, but things need to truly start taking shape defensively. In terms of the roster and also the tactical maturity of the squad in general. The 2010s blackhawks were fun to watch offensively speaking, but the puck rarely stayed on their end more than 4-5 seconds. It was out immediately. They were really underrated defensively.

I'm not sold on the Montembro and Primeau tandem either.

I think the following 2 years are critical for Hughes, he needs to start identifying his core 4 at D. And start adding experience and proven talent through trades.

He'll have the cap space and assets to mold this squad into a contender for the next decade.
It’s incredible how drafting Demidov and Hage changed the dynamic. 3 months ago, people identified offense as the weakness moving forward

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There's really no way of properly evaluating Hughes since MB left a mess behind. Top picks + Hutson look like promising pieces on a contender, he's done a great job recouping future assets for Chiarot/Monahan, turning Petry into Matheson, and MSL seems like the perfect coach for this team at its state. The only real issues for our rebuild are that even though Dach seems like a player, if he's always injured it's still a hole that needs to be addressed, and none of the dmen seem like #1 dmen on a cup contender to me.

Next offseason is when we can actually evaluate him in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad