The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 127 55.5%
  • B

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • C

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Forwards :

1- Suzuki
2- Demidov
3- Slafkovsky
4- Caufield
5- Dach
6- Newhook
7- Roy
8- Beck
9 - Kapanen
10 - Heineman
11 - Mesar
12 - Hage
13 - Tuch
14 - Xhekaj
15 - Farrell
16 - Davidson

Defense :

1 - Guhle
2 - Xhekaj
3 - Harris
4 - Struble
5 - Hutson
6 - Reinbacher
7 - Mailloux
8 - Barron
9 - Trudeau
10 - Bogdan
11 - Engstrom

Draft 2025:
2 x 1st round pick
2 x 2nd round pick
3 x 3rd round pick
2 x 4th round pick

Our full 1st line is locked for $23,325,000 for the next 6 years, no one above $8M.

But the questions remains.....Now What?
What is the next steps in terms of rebuilding this team?

We surely don't want to be the next Buffalo so what do we now have to do to make sure it won't happen?
Drafting and going after picks and prospects can't be the focus as it was the focus for the past 3 seasons.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Voted A:
25/26 will be the year they take us out of our seats but next year there will still be some pain.

I'm not necessarily on the 'tank train' this coming year but with no real upgrades, we are looking at another top 10 pick most likely...but that will be the end of it.

25/26 we will finally lose some crap contracts and have some really strong prospects graduate...
Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloulx will all likely be on the team as well as a big UFA pick up + another year of experience for the core.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If I’m to take Gorton at his end of season words “this is an extremely important offseason for our plan to take the step to the next level” and if the roster makeup stands as it is today I give HuGo a C.

However, I expect a move or moves prior to season opening roster

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
But is that what Buffalo actually did?
That was scares me at times....too many young guys, bad vets.....
Some of the vets might be bad on the ice, but the room and culture seem otherwise. Armia is adored by his teammates, same with Dvorak.

Don’t get me wrong, a lot of turnover still needs to occur, but I think the overall teams headspace seems mostly great.

Anyway, just a comment and my views on “bad vets”. Not even sure if you meant the Habs with that comment.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Not gonna vote a grade and my reasoning is simple

If you check our previous top prospect threads, we were often if not always excited about our top prospects and almost without fail, when you'd fast forward 3 years we were underwhelmed with the previous batch but excited with the new batch.

I hope things change here and this batch is the one but I'd say, I'd have to wait 3 years to actually make a desicion on that

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Easy A

They may have some misses, a draft pick here or there that busts or a trade that turns out not great...But one thing I'm now sure of, they competent enough to turn this franchise around,

So refreshing to expect good things coming instead of constant fear from the next dumb move we were so used to.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I would’ve gone A, but I think B+. The lack of a true number one D man in the system (at least as far as we know) is my only real gripe. In the end, they may need to go outside for that.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
There's a lot of luck involved in some of Hughes moves that I think will pay off in the end, but we can say that about any team really.

The only move I'm not super fond of is the cost for Newhook, even though I like him as a player.

Overall, I give HuGo an A, but I think the moves he makes this year are the ones that will truly determine if we become a contender or not. This will be his most important year so far.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
There's a lot of luck involved in some of Hughes moves that I think will pay off in the end, but we can say that about any team really.

The only move I'm not super fond of is the cost for Newhook, even though I like him as a player.

Overall, I give HuGo an A, but I think the moves he makes this year are the ones that will truly determine if we become a contender or not. This will be his most important year so far.
Man did Fairbrother ever tank. I actually liked him in Laval.

Reactions: Toene

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
You'd have to be super pessimistic to see what's been done by Hughes and Gorton and not believe we're going in the right direction. We're only year 3 into the rebuild and we're in a much better/healthier position than many teams in front of us, even if we're not yet winning.

A+ for me

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That is an A.

Adding Slafkovsky, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Newhook, Fowler, Demidov, Hage. That's on top of many other young promising player...

in 3 f***ing summer. The acquisition of so many draft picks and the use they made of them.

Sincerely a team building masterclass.

Us and Utah are team that are looking like succesful rebuild.

CHI remains to be seen. SJ looks on the right way.

BUF and OTT looks like failure imo.

Can't give a A if the top 2 guys are from Bergevin.

Next step is finding someone better than Suzuki and Guhle to complement them. Maybe they are already here. Time will tell.

:teach:
I would argue that Slafkovsky and Demidov are above Suzuki (or will be in due time)

Would also argue that Hutson and Reinbacher are above Guhle(or will be in due time)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I voted B.

I expected them to have cleared more Ds than Kovacevic by now (and LHDs) and looking at teams who are finishing to load themselves with cheap UFA options makes me think the trade opportunities during camp will be low.

So at this point, they are crossing their fingers hoping the kids have very good progression and Anderson/Gallagher aren't still regressing.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Get a bottom 3-5 gem forward in this year's draft, and we are set. If we do suck, then fail hard for McKenna in 2026. You just wait, the Pens or Caps will 100% suck just for McKenna

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I wish it was split in A-/B+, etc. So far I'd give a solid A-. Not many mistakes and the ones that happened have been mostly inconsequential (Allen extension, Anderson being kept). The one big miss is Lehkonen but it's more the return than the reasoning of the trade itself. Jury is still out on that one too.

Contracts
Staffing
Trades
Drafting
All headed in right direction

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I’d wait for the summer to end, I’m not certain he’s done all his moves yet.

Next step might be a top 6. I have a hard time imagining the team as it is, unless « that’s » the next step which would mean lottery pick.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
It used to be B because we were lacking the key piece of an elite offensive forward, nor any realistic way to get one. But now we have one in our system, so it's A.

Reactions: jaffy27

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I wish it was split in A-/B+, etc. So far I'd give a solid A-. Not many mistakes and the ones that happened have been mostly inconsequential (Allen extension, Anderson being kept). The one big miss is Lehkonen but it's more the return than the reasoning of the trade itself. Jury is still out on that one too.

Contracts
Staffing
Trades
Drafting
All headed in right direction
pretty much how i see it. Lehkonen was young enough that they didn't have to sell him and could've extended him as a young leader for the core.

not getting rid of Anderson has been a blunder. the same people who say he could've been dealt for a 1st rounder also say he was part of the package for Dubois later that year. sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make - let's call this one a wash.

overall management gets an A for how they've revamped player and prospect development, and for how they've managed to seemingly set an internal cap with Suzuki's contract.
i'm hoping to see them add one or two more key offensive pieces via trade while still building through the draft. i think they can do it.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The question is whether or not KH could have taken better decision and so far, I have no reason to second guess any of the move he made. He maximized trade value of asset traded away, he weaponized cap space when possible and drafted well given the options given to them.
I concur. Management has a definite plan, and all their moves so far fit well within that plan. They have demonstrated patience instead of rushing things that do not fit in their vision. All the moves will not work (they never do), but so far things make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad