Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I've said elsewhere in these threads, but it's easy to forget that Fiala also looked like a young guy primed for a breakout after being an offensive driver in a defensive system. It just turned out that LA went full turtle too.

He's also a bit of a turd though, wouldn't be surprised if the brought lights of LA are a distraction.

Reactions: Nick Lang

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Faber wasnt signing with LA he was signing with Minnesota, given the circumstances it was about the same as Adam Fox so 2ndish plus. It was not a situation where LA just gave up Faber.
Can't say I've heard a definitive confirmation of that from one of the top insiders, but who knows.

Guhle extended with Montreal for 6 years at $5.55 mill. Only 114 NHL games to date, with a year left on his elc. Can't say I know enough to comment on whether this is what he should get. But, it ends at age 29, which is good for him. Gives him another shot at a big contract.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I've said elsewhere in these threads, but it's easy to forget that Fiala also looked like a young guy primed for a breakout after being an offensive driver in a defensive system. It just turned out that LA went full turtle too.

He's also a bit of a turd though, wouldn't be surprised if the brought lights of LA are a distraction.
Fiala is a guy that is liked more in fantasy hockey than in the nHL as he is a very complimentary type of player in that he brings coring but little else really and his playoff resume just isn't that good.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Fine target, price was suspect.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Law of averages, some of these contracts being thrown at players with so few games under their belt are likely going to blow up hard in the faces of the teams signing them. I threw out the example of Myers after his first season on the main board; transport his rookie season to today and what kind of price could he command?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Law of averages, some of these contracts being thrown at players with so few games under their belt are likely going to blow up hard in the faces of the teams signing them. I threw out the example of Myers after his first season on the main board; transport his rookie season to today and what kind of price could he command?
For a guy like Faber though, I don't think you skimp at all. He didn't just eat up assists ala Cam Barker, the guy can actually log lots of quality minutes through the grind of a season right off the bat which you only really see among Top-50 D-men. At the very worst he could get a case of soft-itis and project like Bouwmeester but even then that still wouldn't be close to being a terrible contract, at best the guy keeps getting better and is a mainstay in Top 10 lists.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
For a guy like Faber though, I don't think you skimp at all. He didn't just eat up assists ala Cam Barker, the guy can actually log lots of quality minutes through the grind of a season right off the bat which you only really see among Top-50 D-men. At the very worst he could get a case of soft-itis and project like Bouwmeester but even then that still wouldn't be close to being a terrible contract, at best the guy keeps getting better and is a mainstay in Top 10 lists.
It's not just Faber though; it's a trend now with Sanderson and Power (and Guhle to a lesser extent) signing similar contracts with little NHL experience. I get the reasoning behind it, but we all know development isn't linear and it's a question of when rather than if one of these contracts is going to be a major bust.

Hell, look at Ty Smith who many were high on at first. He's completely flamed out since leaving NJ.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not just Faber though; it's a trend now with Sanderson and Power (and Guhle to a lesser extent) signing similar contracts with little NHL experience. I get the reasoning behind it, but we all know development isn't linear and it's a question of when rather than if one of these contracts is going to be a major bust.

Hell, look at Ty Smith who many were high on at first. He's completely flamed out since leaving NJ.
Agreed. Unless you got a deal, like NJ with J. Hughes, most of these non elite guys I think you can wait on to determine their amounts. I mean, Heiskenen played all 3 years before he signed. Seider and Raymond both still pending new deals after 3 years.

Ott paid Chabot after 2 seasons. I don't know if he's truly an $8 mill cap hit player. As he should be that by now that he's 4 years into his max deal.

Would either Power/Sanderson have been worth more with what they did the past season vs what they signed for last off-season by playing out their elc?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed. Unless you got a deal, like NJ with J. Hughes, most of these non elite guys I think you can wait on to determine their amounts. I mean, Heiskenen played all 3 years before he signed. Seider and Raymond both still pending new deals after 3 years.

Ott paid Chabot after 2 seasons. I don't know if he's truly an $8 mill cap hit player. As he should be that by now that he's 4 years into his max deal.

Would either Power/Sanderson have been worth more with what they did the past season vs what they signed for last off-season by playing out their elc?

eh, even if the player isn't that good, you risk a lot with a bridge in a rising cap environment if they simply improve, which most players (especially defensemen) do from their 21/22 to 25/26 year old seasons

look at darnell nurse as an example. it would have looked "bad" if the oilers gave him a 7x8 or whatever in 2020 coming off of his first bridge, but even by basically staying at that level, he ended up getting the 9.25x8 two years later. had they given him a 8 year deal right off of his elc, he'd probably be locked in for two more years from now at like, <$5m, essentially only paying more than they ended up paying in the first two years of the deal.

then there's further downside if the player actually hits. imagine if we only gave hughes a three year bridge. that would have still been at a ~$6m cap hit, and in return for that $2m in savings, he'd be up for like, $12m right now.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
eh, even if the player isn't that good, you risk a lot with a bridge in a rising cap environment if they simply improve, which most players (especially defensemen) do from their 21/22 to 25/26 year old seasons

look at darnell nurse as an example. it would have looked "bad" if the oilers gave him a 7x8 or whatever in 2020 coming off of his first bridge, but even by basically staying at that level, he ended up getting the 9.25x8 two years later. had they given him a 8 year deal right off of his elc, he'd probably be locked in for two more years from now at like, <$5m, essentially only paying more than they ended up paying in the first two years of the deal.

then there's further downside if the player actually hits. imagine if we only gave hughes a three year bridge. that would have still been at a ~$6m cap hit, and in return for that $2m in savings, he'd be up for like, $12m right now.
Talking more about signing guys a year early. With a year to go on the elc. I’m all for smaller market teams going max term in a player but seems like they are the side taking all of the risk.
It’s more the timing of the contract than the value of them.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Can't say I've heard a definitive confirmation of that from one of the top insiders, but who knows.

Guhle extended with Montreal for 6 years at $5.55 mill. Only 114 NHL games to date, with a year left on his elc. Can't say I know enough to comment on whether this is what he should get. But, it ends at age 29, which is good for him. Gives him another shot at a big contract.

Not sure what's considered reputable or that, 'he was signing in Minnesota', but here is an article outlining the deal. It certainly makes sense but also as I remember it was a pretty good trade for LA at the time. Fiala is a good offence talent at pretty much ppg since the trade.

[excerpts from article]
Kings saw it as a home run after Fiala's first season but have been questioning it after seeing Faber hit the ground running.

In Fiala you have an offensive first winger who's led the team in scoring in the two seasons since he was acquired.

Faber's a top-pairing defenseman who can play in all situations and posted just shy of 50 points last season.

So, would you rather have a offensive winger who's just shy of a point-per-game in the last two seasons, or a two-way, all situations defensemen.

Without context, the second player is probably more intriguing, especially if you get to keep a first-round pick in the process.

However, context is important. Faber wouldn't be that player in LA. He would have been lucky to get top-four minutes last season behind Drew Doughty and Matt Roy and would be fighting with both Brand Clarke and Jordan Spence for those minutes this season.

That logjam was a big reason Faber was reluctant to sign in LA and a big reason he was one of the RHD's that was traded.

Within the context that Faber wouldn't be given the opportunity to shine in LA and the Kings' need for some offensive pop, this trade is still solid value for LA.

Hindsight being 20-20 you want that first-round pick back, but you have to pay for proven NHL talent.

Fiala is a guy that is liked more in fantasy hockey than in the nHL as he is a very complimentary type of player in that he brings coring but little else really and his playoff resume just isn't that good.

In regards to playoff performance not to make excuses but he has played on teams that have only won 1/8 series, mostly Minny and LA . I watched the entire series 2 years ago and he was playing at a very high level. Apparently his defensive game grew last year as well.

I'm not a huge fan or anything but I think this guy has the capability to completely take over in the offensive end at times. Can he do it consistently and in meaningful situations? Not sure but I do find him intriguing. For reference he's got about the same PPG as Miller in the playoffs so it's hard to draw hard conclusions from that imo.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Jim Benning is buried in the witness protection program somewhere

He sure is.
hello-mr-thompson.gif

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't think kylington was the answer to any pressing questions but at that price it would have been nice to have him as an option. better use of the money than sprong imo

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad