The state of Florida braces for Hurricane Milton, Panthers still scheduled to play tonight

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I say the same thing about a handful of other cities around the country

But on a serious note, man things sound really dire for those barrier islands. Hopefully everyone got out and at least inland.
I hate to come across as insensitive but to not evacuate from the islands shows a serious lack in judgment. IMO those islands are the worst place you want to try and ride it out.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just an easier way to track them. When they say Hurricane Andrew, Charlie, Wilma etc, most people know which storms they are, as opposed to Hurricane 10-2024 or whatever.

It’s calmed some, but they water in the gulf is warm and feeds these storms this time of year.

It's more recognizeable when they're current for sure. But after a while, the name by date and location(s) makes more sense.

If I say "hurricane Fran" most people would probably not be able to picture anything. But if I said hurricane -cape verde- August 23rd, 1996.

You know the time and place.

It's like teaching our grandkids about ice storm 98 - north east of north America... Rather than calling it ice storm Steve.

Or take the may 2022 Canadian derecho. If it was just called derecho Bob...years later, people won't know when it happened or where or why it's called that.

• Haha
Reactions: account deactivated

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Maybe like other storms where they just go by the dates and location? I dunno. Not my suggestion.
A poster mentioned it's silly to use names, so I went and looked up the reason. Turns out when you use dates people have a harder time remembering what storm, where etc. But if you use names, more details of the storm seem to stick.

Reactions: HBK27 and Alicat

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder if the fans who have bought tickets get a refund for not going if the game does go?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's more recognizeable when they're current for sure. But after a while, the name by date and location(s) makes more sense.

If I say "hurricane Fran" most people would probably not be able to picture anything. But if I said hurricane -cape verde- August 23rd, 1996.

You know the time and place.

It's like teaching our grandkids about ice storm 98 - north east of north America... Rather than calling it ice storm Steve.

Or take the may 2022 Canadian derecho. If it was just called derecho Bob...years later, people won't know when it happened or where or why it's called that.

I have no issue knowing exactly which hurricanes Andrew, Charley, Katrina, Wilma, or Ian are. That said, if someone says “2004 hurricane season” I’ll remember the 4 hurricanes that hit basically every square mile of the state, but I don’t remember every storm’s name.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My thoughts are with all our HF members who live or have family/friends in the areas in Milton's path. I have family and friends in the area and my company has employees in the area as well. Please reach out if you need anything!! We all may be rivals but in times of crisis, we come together.

Reactions: Romang67

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Really hope Tampa and Sarasota+ surrounding areas come out ok. South Florida should be ok for the most part. But West/Central Florida is going to get hit good today/tomorrow/

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
We’ve been under tornado warning all morning, it hasn’t full made landfall yet.

(Tornado west of the arena in the Glades)

Attachments

• 9D62E46B-B9C0-428F-89C4-A3C1C7AF9CD2.jpeg
    9D62E46B-B9C0-428F-89C4-A3C1C7AF9CD2.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad