GDT: GAME ONE, MIDDAY EDITION: St. Louis Blues (0-0-0) at YOUR SEATTLE KRAKEN (0-0-0), 1:30pm PDT, 9:30pm Morocco Time

WHO DO WE LIKE TODAY?

• Your hometown Seattle Kraken

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • The despicable St. Louis Blues

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jaden Schwartz and Vince Dunn for a big game against the Blues

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Your friendly moderating staff

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Hockey during the workday

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Will they ever learn with Gru. Daccord has been the far better goaltender in my opinion
Seems like the Ron and whoever is signing the checks are just being stubborn, not wanting to admit the signing has proved a failure. Like if we just keep playing him, he will justify the money and the commitment eventually. Well, we're in year four now and the evidence seems incontrovertible, so maybe it is time to throw in a losing hand. Statisticallly, Daccord was no worse then the fifth best goalie in the league if you combine save % and GAA.

Reactions: Fuhrious

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just trashing Grubauer and making him the scapegoat for this loss seems a bit strange to me.

We all know he's nowhere near worth what the team is paying him and was a bad signing.

The 2nd goal was just bad and needs to be saved,
The first and third one will be given up by many, many goalies in the league.
That, to me, was way more of really bad defense and Oleksiak being about as agile as a cone.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Just trashing Grubauer and making him the scapegoat for this loss seems a bit strange to me.

We all know he's nowhere near worth what the team is paying him and was a bad signing.

That, to me, was way more of really bad defense and Oleksiak being about as agile as a cone.

The bolded is exactly how I feel. Oleksiak gave those players the space. He looks like a guy playing in the alumni game at the heritage classic. Watching him during those goals and other pivotal moments of the game makes me question every aspect of advanced stats.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

No but field your best line up. Daccord is the better goaltender period. Gru can have great moments but isn't consistent.

Reactions: kihei

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The whole reason the Blues wound up with the freaking 16th pick last year (ugh!!!!) is that when they are down 2-0, Binnington is too competitive and would make these freaking saves to keep them in games and then the next thing you know it would be tied. Last year was a lot of this, trying to survive games where long stretches of dominance happen and then coming back by playing into the nature of hockey which is cruel momentum swings. This did not feel like a game the Blues should have won, it felt like a game both teams kind of deserved to lose because both teams displayed their weaknesses

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
No but field your best line up. Daccord is the better goaltender period. Gru can have great moments but isn't consistent.

Sure, but you can't start your goalie 82 times a season.

The whole reason the Blues wound up with the freaking 16th pick last year (ugh!!!!) is that when they are down 2-0, Binnington is too competitive and would make these freaking saves to keep them in games and then the next thing you know it would be tied. Last year was a lot of this, trying to survive games where long stretches of dominance happen and then coming back by playing into the nature of hockey which is cruel momentum swings. This did not feel like a game the Blues should have won, it felt like a game both teams kind of deserved to lose because both teams displayed their weaknesses

Well it was a game of two "playoff bubble teams" and it showed.

BTW: I still can't understand how we have a cap situation in which we can't field a full roster because of financial reasons.
Especially if that roster includes huge doubts of how the heck it will score consistantly.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I agree 100%. Oleksiak was terrible. His lack of mobility screws over the team every time he is out of position. Which is why I really want to shelter Oleksiak. Put him with Borgen on the 3rd pairing and tell him to not even bother crossing the red line.

That being said, Gru lets in goals at the most inopportune times. Its something that has gone on for a while now. When the team gets scored on, there is a lack of confidence overall and we need the G to step up and weather the storm. Unfortunately Gru does that few and far between.

To me, the re-signing of Daccord just confirms that the team has finally given up on the Gru experiment and are likely to play him as our #1. Hopefully shelter him against poor competition this season, whatever that is for us.

Just looking at the cap picture for 2025-26, we have 8.8M available (assuming flat cap). We need to fill in our bottom D pairing and our bottom line as well.

Re-sign Evans: Short term deal (maybe 2M, depending how this season goes)
Re-sign Kartye: Small raise. Maybe 1.2M AAV. (optional)

I expect the 4th line can be filled by our CV prospects for sure. That plus Kartye if we re-sign him.

Not so much confidence on the 6D and 7D spots. Ottavainen is likely ready for atleast the 7D spot but we may need someone for the bottom pairing with Oleksiak. We can make do without buying out either Gru or Oleksiak, who in my minds are the most likely candidates if we need to create cap space. But not doing so, will make things extremely tight and we will struggle to have more than a 21 player roster.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Sure, but you can't start your goalie 82 times a season.

Well it was a game of two "playoff bubble teams" and it showed.

BTW: I still can't understand how we have a cap situation in which we can't field a full roster because of financial reasons.
Especially if that roster includes huge doubts of how the heck it will score consistantly.
We can't but i'd have saved Grubauer for back to backs/weaker teams, not opening day.

Starting to think Francis is in YOLO mode to save his job. Win as much now due to ownership pressure and worry about tomorrow later given the cap situation.

I agree 100%. Oleksiak was terrible. His lack of mobility screws over the team every time he is out of position. Which is why I really want to shelter Oleksiak. Put him with Borgen on the 3rd pairing and tell him to not even bother crossing the red line.

That being said, Gru lets in goals at the most inopportune times. Its something that has gone on for a while now. When the team gets scored on, there is a lack of confidence overall and we need the G to step up and weather the storm. Unfortunately Gru does that few and far between.

To me, the re-signing of Daccord just confirms that the team has finally given up on the Gru experiment and are likely to play him as our #1. Hopefully shelter him against poor competition this season, whatever that is for us.

Just looking at the cap picture for 2025-26, we have 8.8M available (assuming flat cap). We need to fill in our bottom D pairing and our bottom line as well.

Re-sign Evans: Short term deal (maybe 2M, depending how this season goes)
Re-sign Kartye: Small raise. Maybe 1.2M AAV. (optional)

I expect the 4th line can be filled by our CV prospects for sure. That plus Kartye if we re-sign him.

Not so much confidence on the 6D and 7D spots. Ottavainen is likely ready for atleast the 7D spot but we may need someone for the bottom pairing with Oleksiak. We can make do without buying out either Gru or Oleksiak, who in my minds are the most likely candidates if we need to create cap space. But not doing so, will make things extremely tight and we will struggle to have more than a 21 player roster.
Do you think Borgen is gone next year/traded later this year?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Do you think Borgen is gone next year/traded later this year?
Not sure if he will be traded, but we are unlikely to be able to afford to re-sign him. His next contract is likely to be in the 3.5M-4M AAV range and too much for a bottom pairing D man for us. If the team decides to engage in buyouts, then maybe they bring him back. But even then, it's too much to pay for how we will use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad