The state of Florida braces for Hurricane Milton, Panthers still scheduled to play tonight

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I once stayed on the southern tip of Treasure Island, just outside Tampa Bay. It looks right in the crosshairs. Beautiful area. Great hockey fans. Stay safe everyone!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I once stayed on the southern tip of Treasure Island, just outside Tampa Bay. It looks right in the crosshairs. Beautiful area. Great hockey fans. Stay safe everyone!
I have been to the stores on the boardwalk there many times. I believe it is CNN that has someone there. It is already partially destroyed. There is a 20 foot pile of debris near the water.

• Wow
Reactions: waitin425

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The hurricane's path isn't projected to pass over there but it's still extremely insensitive, reckless and stupid to not reschedule the game.

This qualifies as a state-wide crisis to say the least and will impact millions of people indirectly and demand time, energy and resources.
If Pittsburgh was being pummeled with a natural disaster I wouldn’t expert Philly to cancel their games. Canceling a sporting event over 250 miles away isn’t going to help anyone.

Reactions: fcpremix88

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
The hurricane's path isn't projected to pass over there but it's still extremely insensitive, reckless and stupid to not reschedule the game.

This qualifies as a state-wide crisis to say the least and will impact millions of people indirectly and demand time, energy and resources.

I live in Tampa. And I’m not specifically calling out the quoted post, but the sentiment.

The storm is coming *tomorrow night. The Panthers’ arena is over 150 miles away from the Lightning’s arena. The game can be played in Miami *tonight without much issue. Not sure why there’s any panic or fear-mongering.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am in Brighton in the UK right now and we are getting the tail end of a hurricane that is about 400 miles off shore and to say the weather here is a little nuts? Would be an understatement. It is like someone turned on a water tap--straight down. Flags are just pointed at 90 degrees constant.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The state of Florida is vast, and the very real danger for Tampa and the rest of central Florida doesn't necessarily equate to a life threatening situation in south Florida, given a storm track like this one. To those who are in the impact zone, stay safe if you're staying and find a safe spot if you're evacuating. We're thinking of you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I live in Tampa. And I’m not specifically calling out the quoted post, but the sentiment.

The storm is coming *tomorrow night. The Panthers’ arena is over 150 miles away from the Lightning’s arena. The game can be played in Miami *tonight without much issue. Not sure why there’s any panic or fear-mongering.

Yeah I was confused at first but isn't the hurricane going to mostly miss Miami? I thought it was going directly towards Tampa and only the edges of the hurricane would hit Miami. It would be one thing if the Lightning decided to do this but Miami should generally be fine, although I'm not sure how easily the Bruins will be able to get out of Miami though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah I was confused at first but isn't the hurricane going to mostly miss Miami? I thought it was going directly towards Tampa and only the edges of the hurricane would hit Miami. It would be one thing if the Lightning decided to do this but Miami should generally be fine, although I'm not sure how easily the Bruins will be able to get out of Miami though.
Here's the latest projected path...

1000000278.jpg

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Why would the Panthers be impacted way down in Miami? That's like saying that Chicago is having a blizzard so St. Louis is cancelling their home game... (not to minimize at all the mess that Tampa & that area of FL is about to go through in any way - stay safe any FL HFers).
Hurricanes can be the size of Texas. I don’t know many blizzards that are that big

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It’s not like that at all, not even close. First, the Panthers aren’t located in Miami, they’re 45 minutes to an hour northwest of Miami in Sunrise, which is west of Fort Lauderdale.

This storm is huge and we will still be experiencing tropical storm force winds and rains. Tropical storms can drop a ton of rain, have tornadoes, and high winds (40-60 mph). The storm could still shift south, they rarely follow the expected track NOAA gives, but that much of a bobble isn’t expected.

Sunrise isn't Miami proper, but it is part of the Greater Miami Area, as Broward County is part of the GMA.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Pretty much all of Florida will be affected to some degree by Milton...

Screenshot_20241009-062147_kindlephoto-1250469626.png

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Pretty much all of Florida will be affected to some degree by Milton...

View attachment 913901
I am hoping the change in trajectory saves lives. Originally it was tracking so that Tampa was on the right side, with the counter clockwise spin that meant the storm surge was going to be big. But now its looking like the major population area will be on the north side.

Reactions: HBK27

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Tampa Mayor:

"If you stay you will die."
I say the same thing about a handful of other cities around the country

But on a serious note, man things sound really dire for those barrier islands. Hopefully everyone got out and at least inland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad