Prospect Info: The Song of Brett Ritchie

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I don't see them as in competition with each other. Depending on their camp performances they should both probably be on the roster. Glennie will be on the 4th line or the extra forward, Ritchie could play on any line.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I don't see them as in competition with each other. Depending on their camp performances they should both probably be on the roster. Glennie will be on the 4th line or the extra forward, Ritchie could play on any line.

Hope you're right! I'd enjoy seeing both of them in a D-Stars uni next year.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home

I agree. I wish they would move Cole in some form, have Ritchie replace him, replace Whitney with Sceviour, and then have Glennie on the 4th line.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Well I'm going to assume not all of Cole, Chiasson, or Peverley are on the roster. If 2 of 3 it'll look something like this:

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Peverley-X-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Glennie
X

Sub Chiasson for Peverley or jettison Cole as desired.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Can't see Glennie getting a spot and Sceviour not. He did really well in his first handful of games. I hope you're right and Peverley is in there because it makes the lineup look so much better.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
If you're going by overall performance from our AHL guys this year, Curtis McKenzie deserves to be in the discussion for a depth forward spot on our roster.

Basically I would like to see a bottom 6 forwards including the following players:

Roussell
Garbutt
Chiasson
Sceviour
McKenzie
Glennie
Horcoff

With maybe McKenzie and Glennie subbing in and out as their condition and the matchups allow. I guess another consideration is if Erik Cole sticks with the team for another year (which Heika certainly indicated was a possibility) that makes things potentially even more crowded. The other thing to keep in mind is the possibility of one or two of these guys being pieces in a trade for a center or a defenseman .

To me if we can upgrade the top 6 and keep this composition of players in the bottom 6, it's a massive advantage over most teams. It would give us the skill, toughness, and speed throughout our 4 lines to compete with any team in the league.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Can't see Glennie getting a spot and Sceviour not. He did really well in his first handful of games. I hope you're right and Peverley is in there because it makes the lineup look so much better.

See I knew I forgot someone. Yeah Sceviour is on the roster because he earned it and he's got a one way deal and won't clear waivers.

Ritchie probably starts the year in Cedar Park unless he just blows them away in pre-season.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Sceviour-X-Chiasson
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Glennie

Though my personal preference has Cole traded for whatever and Chiasson used to upgrade our 2C. So then it comes down to whether Peverley comes back.

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Sceviour-X-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
McKenzie-Horcoff-Glennie

I'm not sure I love any of these but there are a ton of possibilities. It really depends on what type of center you bring in for the second line too.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't have much to add to what Mr. Misty said. We've discussed it some elsewhere and Glennie for sure requires waivers.

Based on the age a player signs his first contract, he's permitted a certain number of years and NHL games before he loses his waiver exemption. He immediately loses that exemption when either criteria, not both, is met.

That's why a player like Chiasson lost his exemption mid season last year ... games played in the NHL only matter. As someone mentioned though, like Connauton Glennie's exemption ends because of years after signing ELC.

Waiver criteria is not the same for goalies. They are permitted more time in the minors before the exemption ends.

My best recommendation is just go play with the waiver calculator on Cap Geek. Many skaters sign an ELC around 18 to 21 years of age which gives them 3 years of waiver exemption. Those years slide at 18 and 19 if the player does play in 9-11 NHL games ... can't remember the exact threshold off the top of my head.

I don't believe this is true 100% of the time, but I'd guess it's close. Most of the time, if a player hasn't played enough NHL games by the time his ELC expires, that contract ending usually also means they are no longer waiver exempt.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Will he get a chance to make the team at camp before he's placed on waivers?

If he is placed on waivers, and another team wants him, do we get to counter-offer?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Will he get a chance to make the team at camp before he's placed on waivers?

If he is placed on waivers, and another team wants him, do we get to counter-offer?

Short answer is Yes to Line 1, and No to Line 2.

If they were going to put him on waivers, my guess is it would happen 24 hours before teams are required to be down to a 23 man roster (not including injured players ... potentially Peverley + anyone injured in camp).

That day would be ideal because the waiver wire would be absolutely flooded with players. Some guys will go on waivers earlier if they have no shot at the team ... see a guy like Gaunce or Morin last season.

When he goes on waivers ... let Jesus take the wheel. :sarcasm:

You forfeit all control once you waive him, and you've ultimately decided that you can live without him and you don't care if you get no return back ... see Luke Gazdic last year ... BJ Crombeen several years ago.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Short answer is Yes to Line 1, and No to Line 2.

If they were going to put him on waivers, my guess is it would happen 24 hours before teams are required to be down to a 23 man roster (not including injured players ... potentially Peverley + anyone injured in camp).

That day would be ideal because the waiver wire would be absolutely flooded with players. Some guys will go on waivers earlier if they have no shot at the team ... see a guy like Gaunce or Morin last season.

When he goes on waivers ... let Jesus take the wheel. :sarcasm:

You forfeit all control once you waive him, and you've ultimately decided that you can live without him and you don't care if you get no return back ... see Luke Gazdic last year ... BJ Crombeen several years ago.

Thanks Bigs. Well at least we won't lose him before camp. I really like the idea of giving him a chance to stick. I was worried that waivers would go into effect after the playoffs or something. You think he makes the team?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Glennie is still unsigned for next year AFAIK. Basically, it looks like if he's signed he's going to get a chance out of camp to at least be the 13th forward. If he is sent down the chances of a waiver claim are pretty high IMO.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Thanks Bigs. Well at least we won't lose him before camp. I really like the idea of giving him a chance to stick. I was worried that waivers would go into effect after the playoffs or something. You think he makes the team?

I think he makes the team and they delay making a decision (see Lane MacDermid).

If he doesn't work out ... hopefully they can get some kind of asset for him. If not .... pray like hell he doesn't get claimed ... but I would think that would be doubtful.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Don't a few guys train with Downey. I want to say a couple of Dallas guys did last year?

Also the writer totally used protege wrong.....and that bothers me.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He worked out with him (Downey) last summer on his farm.

Here's an exert from that story last July:

Ritchie has been working out this summer with former Dallas Stars forward Aaron Downey at his farm in Ontario. A veteran of 243 NHL games, Downey lives on the farm and provides similar training to Gary Roberts – another long-time NHL player that Ritchie trained with last summer.

“He covers it all, really everything you need to work on to compete at this level we’ll go over,†Ritchie said. “It’s different, too. He really is a good ol’ farm boy, so he has a lot of home-made equipment and we do these workouts called the gladiator once a week. We’ll have these big old logs that we’ll be moving, sort of like ironman workouts.â€

Ritchie said he switched from working out with Roberts since Downey’s farm is closer to home in Orangeville, Ontario and doesn’t require an almost three-hour commute roundtrip.

In addition to his off-ice workouts, Ritchie is also power skating once a week and is playing in pick-up league for fun with other professional and junior hockey players in Ontario.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Bp4tG_QCYAAR2Dl.jpg:large

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is there a bigger premature celebrater in the league? At least he got this one right.

:sarcasm:

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
i had no idea "the pain train" was a trainer now. downey is one of the absolutely coolest athletes i've ever had the privilege to meet, and is just a beast physically. a tank. i love that he's getting his hands on ritchie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad