Prospect Info: The Song of Brett Ritchie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ritchie really got better and better as the later half of playoffs went on...probably recovering from his injury. I was really impressed with his offensive instincts and while early on his skating looked sluggish, he showed better skating as the postseason went on...again probably the injury and conditioning which go hand-in-hand. Definitely NHL ready. He and Nichushkin on the right side is gonna look pretty damn good eventually...maybe even next season depending on how hard Ritchie works in the offseason.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What type of player is Ritchie?.. Hes a big body and put up good points. Does he hit a lot? Throw his big body around? I like those types that put up above average point totals but also get pims. and have high hit totals.... who is an NHL comparison?

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
What type of player is Ritchie?.. Hes a big body and put up good points. Does he hit a lot? Throw his big body around? I like those types that put up above average point totals but also get pims. and have high hit totals.... who is an NHL comparison?

What is good about getting pims? The games I watched he seemed like a great sniper who is strong around the boards.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What is good about getting pims? The games I watched he seemed like a great sniper who is strong around the boards.

I just like those gritty types. Like Dubinskys, roussells, etc etc that can put up points but play hard and take care of themselves and teammates.... Just curious though, who is a good NHL comparison for Ritchie?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

Yeah he's not exactly a traditional power forward and that's okay. He will hit. He battles quite well on the boards but he's primarily a sniper with a fantastic shot who puts himself in good positions to score.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm in a hockey pool where points, pims, +- and hits all count... I love finding skilled guys that hit... Maybe Ritchie would be a possible good candidate to draft!!??

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
That's funny, I would think the exact opposite. McKenzie is older and built for a bottom 6 role (with room to grow) whereas you would have Ritchie in the bottom 6 hoping he adds some offense and moves up before the end of the season.

I agree with this. From what I've heard McKenzie's development isn't going to be harmed by rotating scratches with Glennie and Scevior. No doubt there will be either an injury or a Cole trade that will open up a spot for Ritchie to show if he is ready.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I consider it pretty much a given that Glennie will be both re-signed and up to start the season in Dallas. Sceviour has earned his spot on the team. No, Ritchie isn't going to be scratched if he's on the roster, but there's no reason he can't start the season in the AHL. He had a great season and playoffs but I definitely don't think it's 100% that he's played his last minor league game.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Sceviour-XXX-Chiasson
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Peverley-Horcoff-Ritchie

Extra: Glennie

That's the scenario I'm thinking about. Chiasson isn't traded, Peverley is good to go, Ritchie spends his summer ripping tree trunks out of the ground. This isn't your typical 4th line.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's a pretty damn good forward group, obviously depending on the XXX player.

My guess is that Chiasson might be traded or Peverley isn't ready to go. Banking on too many optimistic options isn't my style though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I consider it pretty much a given that Glennie will be both re-signed and up to start the season in Dallas. Sceviour has earned his spot on the team. No, Ritchie isn't going to be scratched if he's on the roster, but there's no reason he can't start the season in the AHL. He had a great season and playoffs but I definitely don't think it's 100% that he's played his last minor league game.

That was my point essentially yesterday. Let him play in the AHL so you don't have to scratch and slow down other players development. I agree he's likely ready for the NHL ... no doubt even in a checking role ... but for development across the board ... let's see what Glennie has and at least give him a shot. Even a guy like McKenzie ... turning 24 next season ... you need to figure out what you've got in those guys pretty soon.

I think they'd preform as well as Ritchie in a checking role ... Glennie might honestly be an even better PKer from what I saw ... and let Ritchie go prove himself as a top line AHLer. That won't hurt him or the organization in the least. He and say Klingberg or Oleksiak could be perfect late season additions like Nemeth was that give you the boost you need once you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your current team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's a pretty damn good forward group, obviously depending on the XXX player.

My guess is that Chiasson might be traded or Peverley isn't ready to go. Banking on too many optimistic options isn't my style though.

That's also ignoring Cole. Sounds like they have no interest in buying him out, and based on his family and contentious past about certain locations, he might be a hard guy to perfectly match up with a team that's willing to acquire him and a place he's willing to go.

Like Gonchar ... they're not going to ask him to ride the bench all year long. My guess is if they can't move him ... while he's on Dallas' roster he'll be playing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
... and no I don't want to hear about Carolina until someone actually reports that he's willing. The best thing about Joe Nieuwendyk was his ability to cut loose the established Stars past their prime ... despite the fact he had such a close relationship with them.

I don't think Ron Francis is an idiot, and I'd expect him to be just as surgical when it came to roster decisions. Can he help the Canes win, and does he add something they need? I really don't know, but I find it hard to believe the people will trash him and says he's awful for the Stars and then turn around an straight face claim he'd be perfect and wonderful for this organization.

I think he probably is a decent commodity to some team out there at half price, but I'm not exactly certain about that.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
It's not that I've forgotten about Cole but I'm just ignoring him.

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Sceviour-X-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
McKenzie-Horcoff-Glennie
X

If Pevs can't or doesn't go I think they give McKenzie a chance there and whomever is the best between he and Sceviour wins.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
... and no I don't want to hear about Carolina until someone actually reports that he's willing. The best thing about Joe Nieuwendyk was his ability to cut loose the established Stars past their prime ... despite the fact he had such a close relationship with them.

I don't think Ron Francis is an idiot, and I'd expect him to be just as surgical when it came to roster decisions. Can he help the Canes win, and does he add something they need? I really don't know, but I find it hard to believe the people will trash him and says he's awful for the Stars and then turn around an straight face claim he'd be perfect and wonderful for this organization.

I think he probably is a decent commodity to some team out there at half price, but I'm not exactly certain about that.

For a team on a budget like Carolina, Cole at 1/2 price has a nice cap hit to help the floor, little risk, not much downside and hopefully possible upside if he can assist Staal in being more like his former self.

I don't foresee a great return or many lining up for his full contract but he could be valuable in certain circumstances.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For a team on a budget like Carolina, Cole at 1/2 price has a nice cap hit to help the floor, little risk, not much downside and hopefully possible upside if he can assist Staal in being more like his former self.

I don't foresee a great return or many lining up for his full contract but he could be valuable in certain circumstances.

Certain circumstances doesn't mean a lock.

I agree with you that it's what I hope happens.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Without adding anybody via trade or free agency, I'd like to go with this:

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Chiasson-Peverley-Val
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Sceviour/Glennie

But if we can:

Trade Chiasson + for Spezza
Dump Cole Somewhere
Sign UFA Left Winger

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
UFA-Spezza-Val
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Sceviour-Horcoff-Glennie/Mueller/Jeffrey

With McKenzie being the first injury call up.

Who could that LW be? Hemsky? Vanek? Moulson? Michalek?

Last edited:

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
My sources are telling me that the Stars will try too improve the team next year to take another step forward. Might be trade or FA, they are looking at all options.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Without adding anybody via trade or free agency, I'd like to go with this:

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Chiasson-Peverley-Val
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Sceviour/Glennie

But if we can:

Trade Chiasson + for Spezza
Dump Cole Somewhere
Sign UFA Left Winger

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
UFA-Spezza-Val
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Sceviour-Horcoff-Glennie/Mueller/Jeffrey

With McKenzie being the first injury call up.

Who could that LW be? Hemsky? Vanek? Moulson? Michalek?

Cammaleri

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
How everyone assumes Ritchie will be on the 1st line as a rookie without him even making the team, let alone get his first NHL point is beyond me. I think he's gonna be a keeper, but let's keep it in your pants boys. ;)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
How everyone assumes Ritchie will be on the 1st line as a rookie without him even making the team, let alone get his first NHL point is beyond me. I think he's gonna be a keeper, but let's keep it in your pants boys. ;)

Says more about the makeup of our team than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad