Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Why would you kick hutch out for a guy who hasn't pitched in ages. Makes no sense. BP bound thank u until one SP falters etc. go with the guys that you got u here.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Why does Hutch automatically go to the pen? If his recent improvement is real, then he is our third best starter (given that Stroman pitches up to ability).

His last three starts:

20.2 IP, 13 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 18 K
1.74 ERA

Ability wise, he is ahead of all three of Buehrle, Dickey, and Estrada.

Buehrle has definitely looked iffy in his last three starts, and Hutch has that awful home/away split. Tough decision.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm making the trip to Boston for the series in Fenway with a friend. It'll be a New England roadtrip. I'm really excited. It's been a rough few years with serious health issues, school and family problems for both of us.. but we're pumped. It's a much needed break. This team is a blast to watch, and I've been to countless home games since June.

The game today was ridiculous.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Buehrle has definitely looked iffy in his last three starts

You don't think that might be because all of a sudden, they have Martin working as Buehrle's catcher? Navarro was doing it up until a few starts ago.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
You don't think that might be because all of a sudden, they have Martin working as Buehrle's catcher? Navarro was doing it up until a few starts ago.

Could be, but the problem is we can't consistently have other catchers with our starters. Martin is vastly better than Navarro and Thole.

Dickey and Beurhle need to get used to Martin because in a short playoff series those other guys aren't going to be playing.

Might as well get comfortable with him now.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Could be, but the problem is we can't consistently have other catchers with our starters. Martin is vastly better than Navarro and Thole.

Dickey and Beurhle need to get used to Martin because in a short playoff series those other guys aren't going to be playing.

Might as well get comfortable with him now.

Beurhle pitched one of his best games recently with Martin. I can't remember which one, but someone in the media mentioned it a couple of days ago.

Dickey is used to Martin and Martin catches him pretty well. Thole is up to give Martin a little more rest so he'll be in better shape for playoffs. Lets him recover from some of the small problems. Actually, I think you could get away with playing Navarro with some pitchers if you needed to. Probably the only one that Martin absolutely has to catch is Dickey because you're not put Thole on the post-season roster.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Beurhle pitched one of his best games recently with Martin. I can't remember which one, but someone in the media mentioned it a couple of days ago.

Buehrle has had some great pitches spoiled by home runs. In on the hands and right at the bottom of the zone. Just because he's been hit a bit recently doesn't mean he's been pitching poorly, or that Martin is effecting him. He induces alot of contact. It will happen.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
yeah, awful, awful news. I think a fan also died a couple of years ago at turner field. Really sad.

I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often given some fans' propensities to get, shall we say, well marinated. Especially in the cheap seats and especially considering that for an average person the railings on the edge of balcony levels are likely waist-high at best.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The grade of the 500 lvl gives me vertigo when I'm sober. Can't imagine navigating if I was sloshed.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
It's crazy that Edwin's line is up to .269/.358/.538/.896 now with 29 homeruns. His OPS past two seasons were .901 and .904 so he is right back to his usual production.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
would definitely kick dickey out of the rotation for stroman

Yes lets kick out our 2nd best starter since the all star break. Hes been the guy we wanted when we got him from the Mets the last few months. Good thing that will never happen. Hutch is inconsistent and that is what will have him removed from the rotation. Buehrle, Dickey and Price are not moving out of the rotation. Estrada has been fantastic for us this year and there is no reason for him to come out. Hutch is the oddman out due to his consistency issues. He will be back in the rotation next year.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
that was month ago, now hes back to his old ways with amazing k-rate and hr-rate.. this month batters have got a .343 woba vs. him

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
that was month ago, now hes back to his old ways with amazing k-rate and hr-rate.. this month batters have got a .343 woba vs. him
All starts at home. Either way you dont remove proven major league starters for a kid trying to make a mark. I like Hutch but like I said he is the oddman out.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
Thought the game was at 7 pm for some reason, missed it for the first time in the past month :(

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The grade of the 500 lvl gives me vertigo when I'm sober. Can't imagine navigating if I was sloshed.

I haven't sat in the 500's in years, but didn't they stop serving alcohol up there a few years back?

Terrible tragedy. Not only for the victim and his family, but the likely several dozen witnesses. Apparently he landed in the area generally reserved for players friends and family. Cameron Maybin's son was one of the many who were brought to tears before being taken into the Braves clubhouse.

The fact that this has happened 3 or 4 times in recent memory tells me something needs to be done. It's gonna be tough though, because several million fans annually sit in upper decks at MLB games and don't fall off(Texas firefighter wasn't even upper deck) and a lot of those fans won't want their views obstructed for something unnecessary for 99% in attendance. Reports indicate he was leaning over the railing and shouting at A-Rod when he was announced into the game.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Not sure if this has been posted.

1) Watching the home runs is mesmerizing!
2) Watching the pitcher delivery is mesmerizing!
3) Watching the pitch placement is mesmerizing!

Arathor

Apr 28, 2010
By a pointy tower
I haven't sat in the 500's in years, but didn't they stop serving alcohol up there a few years back?

Terrible tragedy. Not only for the victim and his family, but the likely several dozen witnesses. Apparently he landed in the area generally reserved for players friends and family. Cameron Maybin's son was one of the many who were brought to tears before being taken into the Braves clubhouse.

The fact that this has happened 3 or 4 times in recent memory tells me something needs to be done. It's gonna be tough though, because several million fans annually sit in upper decks at MLB games and don't fall off(Texas firefighter wasn't even upper deck) and a lot of those fans won't want their views obstructed for something unnecessary for 99% in attendance. Reports indicate he was leaning over the railing and shouting at A-Rod when he was announced into the game.

And the previous fan death at Turner Field was deemed a suicide by authorities. So very difficult to do anything unless you plan on taking out 500s completely. Normally ushers stand with back to the railing in the aisles to help with that kind of stuff. But nothing can help an idiot leaning over...was A-rod gonna hear him better by leaning in an extra foot or two?

Arathor

Apr 28, 2010
By a pointy tower
Just looking at team stats for this year a couple things stand out. We're 3rd in MLB in stolen base %...yet I don't think they steal as much as they should considering we have some great base stealers. Another number that stands out...lowest number of intentional walks in the majors. You'd think we would lead that category with our lineup but teams want to keep pitching to us for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad