Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I've mentioned it and seen other posters mention this idea before, but I'm firmly cemented in the idea of 'pairs' of forwards. You find two forwards who play amazing together and you add in a good swiss-army knife player to compliment them, like Colorado did with adding Lehkonen or sort of like Hyman in Edmonton.

Both Suzuki and Slaf played at a level previously unseen when they were paired together, and very often it felt like Caufield was just there. I would much rather try and find a player, stop-gap or otherwise, that fits better with this pair than move Slaf to center or Suzuki to wing.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I've mentioned it and seen other posters mention this idea before, but I'm firmly cemented in the idea of 'pairs' of forwards. You find two forwards who play amazing together and you add in a good swiss-army knife player to compliment them, like Colorado did with adding Lehkonen or sort of like Hyman in Edmonton.

Both Suzuki and Slaf played at a level previously unseen when they were paired together, and very often it felt like Caufield was just there. I would much rather try and find a player, stop-gap or otherwise, that fits better with this pair than move Slaf to center or Suzuki to wing.
Why are people talking about Slaf at center or Suzuki at wing? Neither of those things are happening.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Agreed about the Slaf-Suzuki pairing; and I am on the “habs need an elite 1RW” train.

However a smurf-sized potential 40 goal scorer might be in the perfect situation on a line where he is forgotten and “just there” instead of being relied on to carry the attack.

Either way (CC on the 1st or 2nd), add an elite RW to the Habs, + Dach plays the season and they have a real top 6 with room to get better for a few years. I smell playoffs.

Slaf at camp will be scary. He’ll be confident and hungry, experienced and stronger still. The beast has been let loose I think.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bleacher report ranks the 10 most recent 1st overalls:

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

I doubt that will hold over time. I think Matthews will drop the most of those players.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

I doubt that will hold over time. I think Matthews will drop the most of those players.
When all is said and done it'll be this.....

1. McDavid
2. Bedard
3. Matthews
4. Slafkovksy
5. Hughes
6. Dahlin
7. Lafrieniere
8. Hischier
9. Power
10. Ekblad

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

If you had done this at the end of 2020-21 season (Jack Hughes second season), he probably would have been 9 or 10. He broke out the next year.

I think Slaf will break out in a big way next year.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

If you track this cohort going forward I think it'll shake out such that Dahlin and Hirschier drop. Not sure who jostles up but I hope Slafkovsky continues his growth trajectory.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Sign this kid for life
200w.gif

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When all is said and done it'll be this.....

1. McDavid
2. Bedard
3. Matthews
4. Slafkovksy
5. Hughes
6. Dahlin
7. Lafrieniere
8. Hischier
9. Power
10. Ekblad

He have the potential to be in that range.

I believe that he is going to be better than Lafreniere, Hischier, Power and Ekblad, for sure.

Time will tell if he can be higher than Hughes and Dahlin, but a two-way physical beast with high offensive production, that's going to be a close call between these 3.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He have the potential to be in that range.

I believe that he is going to be better than Lafreniere, Hischier, Power and Ekblad, for sure.

Time will tell if he can be higher than Hughes and Dahlin, but a two-way physical beast with high offensive production, that's going to be a close call between these 3.
It was close between those 3 for me as well....but I decided to make the homer prediction. Lofty expectations for sure.

He will likely never score as many points as Hughes, and Dahlin possibly has a Norris in him. But, where Slaf will impact the game will likely matter most......the playoffs. Going to be a beast come playoff time.

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kid is a stud but i'm still not getting my hopes up that he will be PPG or anything at 21 , on the montreal canadiens?????????????????

I'll believe it when i see it , go slaf go!

Same with me. Love what I see but it's early. Let him produce to the high level and then catch up on the hype. Don't jump on the hype before.

What I like the most is he is putting a lot of hard work in between games. A long off season to train and work on his game more will really show in his age 20 season to come.

I just hope Dach is healthy and is the player we think he can be. That changes things in our top 6 and on our PP.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

Lmao, what a bad list.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Agreed about the Slaf-Suzuki pairing; and I am on the “habs need an elite 1RW” train.

However a smurf-sized potential 40 goal scorer might be in the perfect situation on a line where he is forgotten and “just there” instead of being relied on to carry the attack.

Either way (CC on the 1st or 2nd), add an elite RW to the Habs, + Dach plays the season and they have a real top 6 with room to get better for a few years. I smell playoffs.

Slaf at camp will be scary. He’ll be confident and hungry, experienced and stronger still. The beast has been let loose I think.
My hope is that they test out Caufield with Dach to spread the scoring around.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
It's not a bad list. I would maybe move Power down 1 spot but Slaf is absolutely #10 at this time. There is plenty of years for him to catch up to the above players.
Power and Lafreniere are fighting for #10 right now. Just because Lafreniere had a great playoff season, and had a decent-ish season playing with some of the very best players in the league, doesn't suddenly make him #9 - this after years of underwhelming. Also, Power is disappointing right now. He's simply above-average, has a weak shot and isn't physical or dominating in any way. I do think both Lafreniere and Power will continue to improve, but that all being said: Slafkovsky is only in his 2nd year and already had a "parabolic" growth to his game, dominating in the 2nd half of the season.

If we're going with right, right now, IMO, the list should be

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Hughes
4. Dahlin
5. Bedard
6. Hischier
7. Ekblad
8. Slafkovsky
9. Power
10. Lafreniere

I also fully expect when all is said and done for Ekblad to be #10.

Reactions: BLONG7

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Power and Lafreniere are fighting for #10 right now. Just because Lafreniere had a great playoff season, and had a decent-ish season playing with some of the very best players in the league, doesn't suddenly make him #9 - this after years of underwhelming. Also, Power is disappointing right now. He's simply above-average, has a weak shot and isn't physical or dominating in any way. I do think both Lafreniere and Power will continue to improve, but that all being said: Slafkovsky is only in his 2nd year and already had a "parabolic" growth to his game, dominating in the 2nd half of the season.

If we're going with right, right now, IMO, the list should be

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Hughes
4. Dahlin
5. Bedard
6. Hischier
7. Ekblad
8. Slafkovsky
9. Power
10. Lafreniere

I also fully expect when all is said and done for Ekblad to be #10.
Owen Power had 33 pts last season as a 21 years old D-man. Might seem underwhelming but it's actually pretty good.

Lafreniere had 57 pts last year, more than Slaf. Both players did improve dramatically. Although Slaf is 2 years younger, I cannot rank him ahead simply because of the age difference. Slaf will have its chance to climb on the list but as of right now I just cannot rank him ahead of anyone.

I do agree with you, in a few years, Ekblad will be #10 on the list.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

10) Slafkovsky
9) Lafreniere
8) Power
7) Ekblad
6) Bedard
5) Hischier
4) Dahlin
3) Hughes
2) Matthews
1) McDavid

Many posters here are more credible than BR.

Reactions: DAChampion

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The only ones I will confidently say will remain ranked ahead of Slaf is McDavid, Bedard, Matthews and Hughes.

He should be ahead of Lafreniere and Power already.
I am confident in your first three. Taking a swing that he has a better all around career than Hughes. Hughes has incredible talent, but I just think Slaf, at his maximum ceiling can get past him. The other three based on what they have done already are clearly ahead. However.......if Matthews scores 60 goals a year and never leads his team to a cup, but Slaf scores 90-100 points per year (at prime) and takes the team to the promise land, it will be hard for me to not put Slaf ahead.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My hope is that they test out Caufield with Dach to spread the scoring around.

I actually want to see Slaf with Dach to test Slaf before we give him the monster deal. Unless he is willing to sign this summer (8x $7M maybe). I think it's a bit risky to have him stick with Suzuki while he helps Slaf break out. I prefer to test Slaf with Dach and see if the breakout happens. Then you have a better idea.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The only ones I will confidently say will remain ranked ahead of Slaf is McDavid, Bedard, Matthews and Hughes.

He should be ahead of Lafreniere and Power already.
Matthews is on track to finish his career as a regular season warrior, so eventually his star might fade fast.

I actually want to see Slaf with Dach to test Slaf before we give him the monster deal. Unless he is willing to sign this summer (8x $7M maybe). I think it's a bit risky to have him stick with Suzuki while he helps Slaf break out. I prefer to test Slaf with Dach and see if the breakout happens. Then you have a better idea.
Agreed, that can also double as a test for Dach.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad