The San Jose Sharks are horror-bad

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
It’s probably not surprising given that the best piece added is injured, but for now, this thread has to be kept alive:

Outshot 22-5 in the first period, all shots given up at even strength. Down 3-0 already.

Then take a look at the Knight’s last goal…

If this isn’t horror-bad, I dunno what is.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
It’s probably not surprising given that the best piece added is injured, but for now, this thread has to be kept alive:

Outshot 22-5 in the first period, all shots given up at even strength. Down 3-0 already.

Then take a look at the Knight’s last goal…

If this isn’t horror-bad, I dunno what is.
I'll give it to the Sharks' players that they were flying around with a lot of energy and I didn't see anybody tank during the entire game. The problem it seems is that they have no direction and don't seem to be concentrating on doing anything particularly well. This is a team that needs identity: Start by being really good at one thing (defense probably makes the most sense) and then work your way out from there.

Which is to say that for all their other problems, they didn't seem to be adequately coached either. Possibly just too early in the season to tell though.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I'll give it to the Sharks' players that they were flying around with a lot of energy and I didn't see anybody tank during the entire game. The problem it seems is that they have no direction and don't seem to be concentrating on doing anything particularly well. This is a team that needs identity: Start by being really good at one thing (defense probably makes the most sense) and then work your way out from there.

Which is to say that for all their other problems, they didn't seem to be adequately coached either. Possibly just too early in the season to tell though.
What's the phrase, "if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle"?

Last year the Sharks' D corps looked like a #4/5 (being nice to Ferraro), and a bunch of 6-7's or guys who shouldn't be in the NHL and a few who aren't any more.

This year, our best pair is Walman-Ceci, who would be an okay second pair on a good team, and have actually done okay in a top pairing role. And the rest are bottom pair or would be in the press box on a better team.

I'd love to start by being really good at defense but that would require having really good defensemen. We have the NHL's worst D corps. This rebuild is going to take another half decade, can't just "draft and sign guys" out of it.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, nobody expected the Sharks to contend any time soon, but holy hannah they are awful so far. Like, horror-bad awful.

After nine games, they have 1 shoot-out loss to show for the season.

They have 9 goals, total, in nine games. (Alex Debrincat, by himself, has matched their entire team's goal production.) They've allowed 26 goals against, putting them almost at -3 per game (or -240 for a full season).

Amazingly, their goaltending -- by save percentage, anyway -- has been fine. Their PK is about League-average so far, and their PP isn't the worst in the League (they dishonor goes to St. Louis's staggering 4.8% on the season), so their inept results are mainly down to 5-on-5 utter futility. They have scored six even strength goals all season.

How bad is it going to get? Will it get worse? Or, is this start just a mirage and they're actually not too bad?
Yea and McCarthy in SiriusXFM was going on about how they are going to be competitive and entertaining after one game where their rookie scored in his first NHL game. Lol !
They may be the worst NHL team (use the term loosely) this fan has ever seen.
One major example ofa watered down 32 team expanded league

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is what scorched earth rebuilds tend to look like. It will be a couple more years before we really see the Sharks on the upswing provided they hit on most of their top picks and can bring in good vets to support them.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I didn't realize they hadn't won a game yet. This is like 14/15 sabres territory. Or like 2007 - 2015 oilers territory.

Reactions: Block

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Player like Will Smith shouldn't be in the NHL. Needs to be developed and given better deployment and a better environment to succeed. Right now the Sharks are ruining his development.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I'm proud of my Kings fans (me excluded of course), letting the poor guppies deal with their misery without much poking fun from our end

Let's see if they return the favor when the teams switch places

Reactions: CaptainShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad