The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
While I agree with most of this post......I think the PP should rate out to be better than last year's. Better coaching/scheming should be one reason. The other? For all his PPP, Skinner seemed to kill WAY more plays than he created on the PP.....to me, that seems like a net plus.
I wonder if the Oilers try him there and if another coach can get a better handle.
I think he will be more motivated for sure.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I can't see the Oilers messing the PP1 unless there are injuries. Skinner would likely slot into PP2 but not the top group.
Screenshot 2024-08-22 113519.png

Yeah, Jeff isn't knocking McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, or Hyman off of PP1 that was top 5 in the NHL last year.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
This, sir, is an internet forum. What you propose in your statement is blasphemy.

Blasphemy I tell you!!! :laugh:
What i can tell is that johan Larsson got a 2 year contract 1.5 mil from vegas last summer But Said no

Hope for some good sabres hockey 🏒

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
What are the chances any of Quinn/Peterka/Byram get extended in season like Cozens did?
Idk I think there's an advantage to sitting down with a player in the off-season that may have gotten lost with Cozens.

I know it's not JJ and Kevyn in a locked room eating Chinese takeout but there's probably next to no communication with the player during the season to set expectations. That should happen anyway in the off-season but it's more powerful when you're offering a guy 30+M.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Idk I think there's an advantage to sitting down with a player in the off-season that may have gotten lost with Cozens.

I know it's not JJ and Kevyn in a locked room eating Chinese takeout but there's probably next to no communication with the player during the season to set expectations. That should happen anyway in the off-season but it's more powerful when you're offering a guy 30+M.
I was thinking along the lines of how Cozens had a huge breakout season offensively. That led to Adams wanting to lock him in during the season. Who of those 3 is most likely to do that? I think @Jim Bob take is a good one…. Peterka due to his durability vs the other two.

Don’t know the likelihood of an in season contract even happening in the first place. Just something I was thinking of.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I was thinking along the lines of how Cozens had a huge breakout season offensively. That led to Adams wanting to lock him in during the season. Who of those 3 is most likely to do that? I think @Jim Bob take is a good one…. Peterka due to his durability vs the other two.

Don’t know the likelihood of an in season contract even happening in the first place. Just something I was thinking of.
I agree with JBs take also

Reactions: joshjull

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I am surprised Buffalo didn't offer Patches a 2 year 4m deal give him 2m a season.

I would have taken a chance with him. Maybe he is cooked but it's not a big risk

I read he has 3 offers on the table. My guess is it's 1-2 years at 2m a season

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I am surprised Buffalo didn't offer Patches a 2 year 4m deal give him 2m a season.

I would have taken a chance with him. Maybe he is cooked but it's not a big risk

I read he has 3 offers on the table. My guess is it's 1-2 years at 2m a season
Why would anyone give him two years? Injuries a concern.

I say PTO or one year close to league minimum.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Why would anyone give him two years? Injuries a concern.

I say PTO or one year close to league minimum.
You give two years because why would anyone want to come here over real teams?

We have to trade away top prospects for 3rd line players.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
You give two years because why would anyone want to come here over real teams?

We have to trade away top prospects for 3rd line players.

Awesome, big fan of cynicism myself, but I don’t see how Patches fits in. Seemingly more of what we have, but older and more injury prone. I’d think a Debrusk (I know, not an option) or somethin would be much better.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was replying to this specific part of your previous post:
I’m well aware of what you have been addressing and missing the mark on.
I feel like that is overstating it. Yes, it would make the roster moves for next season more challenging. But, I do not believe that it is such a huge issue as to not consider adding a top 6 forward.

I did not like Laine for a whole host of reasons. But, the 2025-26 cap was not really one of them.
:facepalm: It’s been bizarre to watch you agree with what I said but not understanding that you are.

I said Laine’s contract would be “a pain in the ass”. Or as you put it… make things more challenging. You even laid out what some of those challenges would be in your previous post just like I laid out a few in my initial post. Thats what I was talking about. My point from my first post to now is I don’t think Laine and his full contract are worth it thsoe “challenges”. There are players that are but he isn’t one IMO.

I DID NOT say we shouldn’t add any top 6 forwards due to the cap in 25-26. Nor am I remotely against doing so. Even though you keep insisting that I have. I just had an issue with adding one very specific top 6 forward and his contract.

It’s also weird that you keep using “overstated” to describe what I’m saying when it doesn’t apply. Either Laine is worth the challenges created or he isn’t. You clearly have been assuming I was making a different point about adding any top 6 forward and the cap generally. Which “overstated” might apply to.

Good GMs who have prioritized building a roster to win now have to deal with future cap situations regularly in the NHL. Bad GMs choose not to add talent now because of concerns for the cap in future years when they are in "Win Now" mode.

Adams said they are in "Win Now" mode and yet he made moves that seemed to be overly concerned with future cap years. I think that may yet again come back to bite him in the rear end.
You really think I don’t know that winning teams build their rosters and worry about the cap later? Something I’ve only posted about 100s of times over the years. This seems to further prove my point that you misunderstood my intial post.

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Why's that? That contract is spooky. I wanted Lained because I'd thought he come relatively cheap even with some retention.
Because GM's are dumb? There's trades every year around the league that leave everyone shaking their head in disbelief at the prices paid.
I think that the media and fans that have said that Adams will lose his job if the Sabres fail to make the playoffs in 2024-25 were overstating the situation.

I think Pegula is making decisions about whether he likes the vibes and how things are working internally more than merely external results.

Murray was let go not because of the team's W/L record, but because of internal drama.

Botterill was let go not because of the team's W/L record, but because he pushed back on laying staff off and the Pegulas "not feeling heard."

As long as Adams is keeping the organization drama free and the Pegulas are kept in the loop, I think his job is safe even if the fans and media think he should be gone.

:dunno:
I largely agree with this. He's safe for the reasons you pointed out. But I'd add that he might be in trouble if it gets as bad as last place or an 18 game winless streak again under his watch, even if the team is drama free and Terry is in the loop.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Just throwing this out there...and I do think this is a bit of an overpay, but maybe not so much (and not as bad as the McLeod overpay, relatively speaking) but what's the opinion on value

Coleman and Andersson, each half retention
Klapka
Kuznetsov

25 1st
26 1st
Rosen
RyJo
Joker
Greenway

This gives us a playoff roster...Ras on a bargain+++ deal for two seasons, Blake for three seasons...it actually lowers our cap this season lol

Calgary does this for obvious tank reasons

Reactions: goach

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Sounds like 3 teams want him

Just because three teams want him doesn’t mean they’re multi-year contracts. Given Pacioretty has had two Achilles injuries, I’d be surprised if he signs a major dollar amount for more than a year. Especially because he’s over 35, and any team that buys him out still pays the full cap hit.

And while I would have no problem if the Sabres gave him like a $2M contract with bonuses for a year, I’d be pissed if it was more than that.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I have three offers in hand today to change my cable, doesn't mean they are good ones. I would assume they are all PTO's and he is waiting/hoping for one to turn into a standard contract.
Really? cable? Throw your money away.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I actually like this move. I really hope he surprises in camp (doubtful). I was big on him in his draft year. Low to no risk, high reward. He did score what? 24ish or so points with the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad