The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
McLeod < Mitts
Lafferty > Krebs
NAK > Okposo
Malenstyn > Girgs
Zucker > Skinner
Krebs (13th) > Oloffsson

We slightly upgraded 5 out of 6 positions, slightly downgraded one. Probably won't get as good of goaltending unless UPL truly is a top-5 goalie, which is doubtful, so I'd expect a downgrade on goaltending too.

I think this is all worth about 4 more points. If Lindy is good, he can be worth 4-5 more points alone on top of that...so I'd say we're at about 92 points next season, +/- 3 pts.

Reactions: Dingo44

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It all depends on what "8 sub $1M players" you are talking about and the roles they are being asked to fill.

If Helenius is as NHL ready as Jokinen suggests, him as the 4C next year could be both a cost savings and an upgrade.

Kulich and Rosen could be very NHL ready next year.

The same goes for Ryan Johnson, Komarov, and Novikov.

Yes, it would be a lot of young guys. But, if Laine were filling it up and earning the $8.75M, that makes it easier to accept.

It could also be the case that they sign the RFAs to less than AFP projects.
That team would get physically steam-rolled by everyone. I think it is naive to believe otherwise. That team's average age would likely be under 24. There is no chance they make the playoffs.

The NHL is not a league where you can roll 4 lines of young talented guys without the grit and toughness of roleplayers. And having players that can fill that role while being effective hockey players is expensive, as this team is finding out now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That team would get physically steam-rolled by everyone. I think it is naive to believe otherwise. That team's average age would likely be under 24. There is no chance they make the playoffs.

The NHL is not a league where you can roll 4 lines of young talented guys without the grit and toughness of roleplayers. And having players that can fill that role while being effective hockey players is expensive, as this team is finding out now.
Well, those young guys are coming and they are going to take up more than one or two roster spots next season regardless of whether they added an expensive top 6 forward that is signed into next season or not.

That $8.75M isn't going to completely overhaul the roster.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
McLeod < Mitts
Lafferty > Krebs
NAK > Okposo
Malenstyn > Girgs
Zucker > Skinner
Krebs (13th) > Oloffsson

We slightly upgraded 5 out of 6 positions, slightly downgraded one. Probably won't get as good of goaltending unless UPL truly is a top-5 goalie, which is doubtful, so I'd expect a downgrade on goaltending too.

I think this is all worth about 4 more points. If Lindy is good, he can be worth 4-5 more points alone on top of that...so I'd say we're at about 92 points next season, +/- 3 pts.

Only one I'd disagree with is Zucker. I'd probably have them rated about equal. Skinner does have scoring upside that Zucker just doesn't have.

Zucker probably doesn't hurt you down the lineup like Skinner does.

I'd rate the Zucker for Skinner 'flip' a push.

I think in terms of overall:

1st line - Same
2nd line - Same
3rd line - better
4th line- better

defense- the same (in totality)
Goaltending - Same

PP - Same
PK - better (at least on paper)

Realistically, the improvement of the bottom six isn't going to move the needle much if the top six forwards and top 4 d aren't better next year (and UPL is about the same)

Reactions: Club

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Heard from a friend that are friend with some sabres players and former ones. He Said the sabres players was drinking after every single game. Sounds like big problem in the culture in Buffalo and make sense that Adams talked about culture change and hopefully they take it serious now

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Any thoughts on if Buffalo brings in a PTO player or two? There are a couple guys out there that would be interesting to have around during preseason at least.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Only one I'd disagree with is Zucker. I'd probably have them rated about equal. Skinner does have scoring upside that Zucker just doesn't have.

1st line - Same
2nd line - Same
3rd line - better
4th line- better

Goaltending - Same

PP - Same

Realistically, the improvement of the bottom six isn't going to move the needle much if the top six forwards and top 4 d aren't better next year (and UPL is about the same)
I used the word "slightly" because it was close. I personally would take Zucker over Skinner on my team 10 times out of 10, though saying they're a push is a valid opinion too. None of these changes are really all that big.

You could also say McLeod and Mitts is a push too, all things considered.

Heard from a friend that are friend with some sabres players and former ones. He Said the sabres players was drinking after every single game. Sounds like big problem in the culture in Buffalo and make sense that Adams talked about culture change and hopefully they take it serious now
Was this friend referring to the Eichel-led Sabres or the Okposo-led Sabres?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I need to drink after most Sabres games too...

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I used the word "slightly" because it was close. I personally would take Zucker over Skinner on my team 10 times out of 10, though saying they're a push is a valid opinion too. None of these changes are really all that big.

Didnt asked That But i understand for sure it was atleast up to 19-20 and even after this they tried to make a change with starting a culture change with the new players they drafted as it was very bad there with the players previous as they was not serious at all

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I mean what else is there to do in downtown in the winter

Reactions: Dingo44

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well, those young guys are coming and they are going to take up more than one or two roster spots next season regardless of whether they added an expensive top 6 forward that is signed into next season or not.

That $8.75M isn't going to completely overhaul the roster.
I mean I think that's it. They really need to start working out exit strategies for some players. Speaking of ready players vs current players, they probably can't in good confidence, move any NHL regulars at the deadline this season which means they should probably still resign any UFAs next summer because they're not in a position to let roster players walk. But they will probably need to either make space or dilute the log jam in a season's time.

So the up and coming kids probably need to show their NHL impact in the first 4 months of this season or wait until maybe the 26 deadline to get a full time shot. Mainly forwards, I think the defense has more wiggle room with the guys coming up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This, sir, is an internet forum. What you propose in your statement is blasphemy.

Blasphemy I tell you!!! :laugh:

It's part of the site rules. *shrug*

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's not a surprise since the Murray assembled team had a lot of off-ice issues reported upon - Lehner's mental health he was self-medicating with way too much alcohol, O'Reilly's DUI thing, Kulikov's depression. There was a lot of other stuff that wasn't reported on that some know about from being around them but since it isn't in the publicly reported domain, it can make Crave vulnerable to libel lawsuits.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's part of the site rules. *shrug*

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's not a surprise since the Murray assembled team had a lot of off-ice issues reported upon - Lehner's mental health he was self-medicating with way too much alcohol, O'Reilly's DUI thing, Kulikov's depression. There was a lot of other stuff that wasn't reported on that some know about from being around them but since it isn't in the publicly reported domain, it can make Crave vulnerable to libel lawsuits.

Why would a Canadian streaming service be subject to libel lawsuits? :p

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

1st line - Same
2nd line - Same
3rd line - better
4th line- better

Goaltending - Same

PP - Same

While I agree with most of this post......I think the PP should rate out to be better than last year's. Better coaching/scheming should be one reason. The other? For all his PPP, Skinner seemed to kill WAY more plays than he created on the PP.....to me, that seems like a net plus.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

On one of my visits I was out on Elmwood and Kaleta was at the bar after a game having some beers.

Reactions: HOOats

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
While I agree with most of this post......I think the PP should rate out to be better than last year's. Better coaching/scheming should be one reason. The other? For all his PPP, Skinner seemed to kill WAY more plays than he created on the PP.....to me, that seems like a net plus.

I want to see Quinn on PP1. I think he could really unlock it.

I also would like to see more of both Dahlin and Byram on the power play.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
A bunch of Canadian kids that grow up on the prairie and farms and have nothing else to do but play hockey and drink, and people are surprised when they turn pro, they continue to drink?

Drinking in the NHL has always been a problem, and continues to be a problem. This isn’t just a Buffalo thing, although drinking in Buffalo is certainly a favorite pasttime. I couldn’t walk a few blocks in the neighborhood where I grew up without passing a watering hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad