The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Heard from a friend that are friend with some sabres players and former ones. He Said the sabres players was drinking after every single game. Sounds like big problem in the culture in Buffalo and make sense that Adams talked about culture change and hopefully they take it serious now

This probably explains the home record a little bit at least.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I also think Quinn can do net front but then Cozens with his size might be a good choice there too.

They all should watch video of Reinhart, Tim Kerr, and Esposito on the power play on repeat.
The net front would diminish Quinn's ability to use his vision. Saying that, Benson showed ability by the net, just unfortunate he's not 5" taller and 20lbs heavier

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I continue to be just mystified by this off-season.

None of the moves individually have been bad, but the net is
Skinner and a 4th line out (and probably Krebs as healthy scratch)
Zucker, McCleod and a 4th line in
Nothing on D
It's basically a wash.

When you look at it, if this is it, you are counting on Lindy to bring in 5-10 wins by coaching alone.

I just don't get it. These aren't the moves of a desperate GM.

They significantly improved team speed.
Thry changed coaches

I dont think he is desperate nor do I think he is fired next summer if no playoffs.
I think that the media and fans that have said that Adams will lose his job if the Sabres fail to make the playoffs in 2024-25 were overstating the situation.

I think Pegula is making decisions about whether he likes the vibes and how things are working internally more than merely external results.

Murray was let go not because of the team's W/L record, but because of internal drama.

Botterill was let go not because of the team's W/L record, but because he pushed back on laying staff off and the Pegulas "not feeling heard."

As long as Adams is keeping the organization drama free and the Pegulas are kept in the loop, I think his job is safe even if the fans and media think he should be gone.

:dunno:
I agree Murray and Botts were let go for other reasons.

KA job is safe. He was working what, 10 yrs ??? for Pegula before being gm?

More like KA is moved to teams prez and someone else takes over as gm.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree Murray and Botts were let go for other reasons.

KA job is safe. He was working what, 10 yrs ??? for Pegula before being gm?

More like KA is moved to teams prez and someone else takes over as gm.
I expect Adams to get both years of the Ruff contract. If they can't break through to the playoffs in either of those two seasons, then they may get to the point where they shuffle Adams into another role.

Adams to POHO and Karmanos to GM would not shock me as it would be another rookie GM hire and a guy the Pegulas know.

:dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A bunch of Canadian kids that grow up on the prairie and farms and have nothing else to do but play hockey and drink, and people are surprised when they turn pro, they continue to drink?

Drinking in the NHL has always been a problem, and continues to be a problem. This isn’t just a Buffalo thing, although drinking in Buffalo is certainly a favorite pasttime. I couldn’t walk a few blocks in the neighborhood where I grew up without passing a watering hole.
Drinking and sports goes way back and continues to this day.

My son is in the minority on his lacrosse team because he actually prioritizes lacrosse over getting hammered. For instance, after their last game last season, I expected him to party it up. I texted him to be safe and not too stupid. He said that I didn't have to worry because he just bought the seniors a 30 pack and he was staying in and getting some rest.

And I know that drinking and college lacrosse is a huge thing because so many guys show up on campus at 21 or close to it after spending multiple years playing junior hockey.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Quinn in the bumper would be an improvement over Cozens because of his vision and creativity.
Benson looked good at the bumper in the preseason.

How they fill out the PP units is going to be really interesting. You can slot TNT at the left half wall and Dahlin at D on PP1. After that, it is wide open.

I am especially intrigued with who they choose to put at the right half wall. The left shot options are Peterka and who? They could experiment with 2 D on PP1 and have Dahlin and Byram or Power playing in a way where they switch back and forth between the point and the right half wall.

Who steps up as a quality net front guy will be interesting to see, as well. I wonder if they go with Greenway or one of the 4th line guys in that spot. Or, do they give Cozens a shot at it...

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Quinn on the right half wall. His shot is as good as anyone not named Tage and he is willing to attack the net which makes defenders make choices.

I think Paterka would be fine on the bumper and I believe he's a better passer than he gets credit. And again, JJ needs to find his slow game on the PP to get to the next level.

I realize that would leave Tuch on the net front or PP2. Maybe the 2nd group is a better fit for JJ but I just believe Quinn is a more skilled player and a better fit on the PP in general.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like Quinn on the right half wall. His shot is as good as anyone not named Tage and he is willing to attack the net which makes defenders make choices.

I think Paterka would be fine on the bumper and I believe he's a better passer than he gets credit. And again, JJ needs to find his slow game on the PP to get to the next level.

I realize that would leave Tuch on the net front or PP2. Maybe the 2nd group is a better fit for JJ but I just believe Quinn is a more skilled player and a better fit on the PP in general.
The challenge with Quinn, Cozens, or any other right hand shots on the right half wall on the PP is that it takes away that one timer threat on passes from either the point or the left half wall.

They did have some success with Cozens there in the past. So, they might be able to make it work. But, it is less than ideal.

Reactions: KeepKane

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

I'm not putting both Peterka and Quinn on PP1. Will inflate their point totals for their next contracts. I like TT, Dahlin, Tuch, Quinn and either Byram or Cozens for PP1

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I'm not putting both Peterka and Quinn on PP1. Will inflate their point totals for their next contracts. I like TT, Dahlin, Tuch, Quinn and either Byram or Cozens for PP1

I'm not a fan, at all, of this type of thinking. We can't put players in positions to succeed because then they might cost too much? But if they are succeeding, chances are high the team is winning more games as well.

Good teams don't worry about that kind of stuff and Buffalo shouldn't either.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who gives a shit about having to pay guys for producing? If we had an even slightly below average power play last season we would've made the playoffs, if you put them on PP1 and they kill it I'd be throwing a freaking parade.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
dude we have missed the playoffs 13 years in a row. If those two provide the best PP possible than they better f***ing be out there.
I know. I was kinda joking about it. If they both pop this year, its a great problem to have. I trust Lindy will put the best groups together and also feel he will get our PP back to where it should be. Top 5-10.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I was replying to this specific part of your previous post:

I feel like that is overstating it. Yes, it would make the roster moves for next season more challenging. But, I do not believe that it is such a huge issue as to not consider adding a top 6 forward.

I did not like Laine for a whole host of reasons. But, the 2025-26 cap was not really one of them.

Good GMs who have prioritized building a roster to win now have to deal with future cap situations regularly in the NHL. Bad GMs choose not to add talent now because of concerns for the cap in future years when they are in "Win Now" mode.

Adams said they are in "Win Now" mode and yet he made moves that seemed to be overly concerned with future cap years. I think that may yet again come back to bite him in the rear end.
I share your sentiment, especially the last paragraph.
Good teams always go to the limit with their moves and deal with it later.
How many times was is stated that the cap is gonna bite them (tampa etc).
But those teams always get it done.
You don't win a trophy for economic cap management.
I still have the notion that Adams is always a step behind and a bit too risk averse & too conservative with his roster management to get the competitive advantage in a tough division.

Reactions: sabremike

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I used the word "slightly" because it was close. I personally would take Zucker over Skinner on my team 10 times out of 10, though saying they're a push is a valid opinion too. None of these changes are really all that big.

You could also say McLeod and Mitts is a push too, all things considered.

Was this friend referring to the Eichel-led Sabres or the Okposo-led Sabres?
One is an established 2C who was basically or 1C last season.
The other was a 3C at best and is still developing and was lacking opportunities because how stacked the Oilers are.
Its basically a sure thing vs a bet on potential.
I am happy if he proves capable of handling the 3C duties but to me its quite a downgrade in talent if you think he can handle playing in the top6.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The challenge with Quinn, Cozens, or any other right hand shots on the right half wall on the PP is that it takes away that one timer threat on passes from either the point or the left half wall.

They did have some success with Cozens there in the past. So, they might be able to make it work. But, it is less than ideal.
Agreed.

I'm not a fan, at all, of this type of thinking. We can't put players in positions to succeed because then they might cost too much? But if they are succeeding, chances are high the team is winning more games as well.

Good teams don't worry about that kind of stuff and Buffalo shouldn't either.
No team has that mentality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad