The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If the previous years don't matter at all then why are you preaching about us all needing to be patient? Patient for what? The previous years don't matter so what is there to be patient about since nothing in the past matters?
Patience is all about letting the current core develop properly. Has nothing at all to do with the past.

Dahlin hasn’t even hit his prime yet. Defense takes longer.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Patience isn't about accepting no playoffs, it's about not panicking and screwing ourselves over.

The Savoie trade was very aggressive, its clear they're willing to sacrifice future potential for current success, but you can't completely go scorched earth on the youth.

I also don't think starting the season with the young top 6 means they're riding it through April. If the team starts slow, and they are lacking production from Cozens/Quinn/Benson/Quinn/Peterka, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a trade well before the deadline, because I think the team is serious about the post season. But if that happens, its going to be a very high price because teams know they have leverage on Buffalo's situation

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Patience isn't about accepting no playoffs, it's about not panicking and screwing ourselves over.

The Savoie trade was very aggressive, its clear they're willing to sacrifice future potential for current success, but you can't completely go scorched earth on the youth.

I also don't think starting the season with the young top 6 means they're riding it through April. If the team starts slow, and they are lacking production from Cozens/Quinn/Benson/Quinn/Peterka, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a trade well before the deadline, because I think the team is serious about the post season. But if that happens, its going to be a very high price because teams know they have leverage on Buffalo's situation
During the season, the price will be higher and there will be fewer options, so Adams must pull the trigger before the season starts.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Another 1-2 seasons without playoffs and Dahlin's patience may not hold up. Slow development is not the best option right now. And Tage too.
I think you’re looking at it wrong. The team is on the right track. That’s all that matters. When they become good they’re going to be one of the best teams in the league.

Not just fighting for 8th seed, which they’re already doing now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think you’re looking at it wrong. The team is on the right track. That’s all that matters. When they become good they’re going to be one of the best teams in the league.

Not just fighting for 8th seed, which they’re already doing now.
But when will it happen? You know how many "ifs" there are for it to happen. Everything has to go perfectly.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Tage has proven himself. Still not sure about Cozens. I feel like Cozens and Byram control our fate this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Tage has proven himself. Still not sure about Cozens. I feel like Cozens and Byram control our fate this year.

Proven himself to be inconsistent and not very good defensively. He is a much bigger factor than just about anyone else on the team. If he can rebound and not get his teeth kicked in 5-on-5, they will bounce back with him.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
My biggest worry is that our top two centers we're banking a lot on long term (Thompson, Cozens) just aren't good enough. I hope I'm wrong.
I think they'll both be fine. Tage even during a down year where he had injury troubles still managed to score 29 goals. To me that bodes well for him remaining a consistent goal scorer. With Cozens I have a hard time believing he peaked during his age 21 season. I don't know that either of them are going to be true gamebreaking players, but with proper depth they don't necessarily need them to be at that level to succeed.

Worst case someone like Helenius proves to be a more capable top 6 center and you shift one of them to the wing. I do wonder if the move to center for Tage is the only thing that made him successful, or if it helped give him the confidence boost he needed to find his game.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
During the season, the price will be higher and there will be fewer options, so Adams must pull the trigger before the season starts.
I disagree.Not a big Adams fan but he brought in 4 forwards this offseason ,a backup capable goalie and a depth defenceman. The 3rd and 4th lines add a ton of speed and grit exactly what we lacked.Now people are saying we need a top 6 forward.So who are we getting rid of in our top 6 between Thompson Tuch Peterka Quinn Cozens and Benson? Also who is on your radar to make this team better offensively in the hou are getting rid of 1 of them 6 I just mentioned. Just curious.I must be missing something

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I disagree.Not a big Adams fan but he brought in 4 forwards this offseason ,a backup capable goalie and a depth defenceman. The 3rd and 4th lines add a ton of speed and grit exactly what we lacked.Now people are saying we need a top 6 forward.So who are we getting rid of in our top 6 between Thompson Tuch Peterka Quinn Cozens and Benson? Also who is on your radar to make this team better offensively in the hou are getting rid of 1 of them 6 I just mentioned. Just curious.I must be missing something
Benson plays on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Fjordy

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Past example: Buchnevich for Blais and a 2nd

Buchnevich and Reinhart were traded as players with minimal years of team control and unsigned at the time.

There are currently 7 unsigned RFA forwards with > 0.50 ppg:

Raymond
Jarvis
Necas
Byfield
Marchenko
Perfetti
Berggren

Necas is the only one with UFA status in '26. The others are '28 and Perfetti in '29.

Ad

Ad

Ad