2025 Draft

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Too early? Not for me.
I'm already pumped for this draft for a couple reasons....1st it is a strong draft - loaded with very good centers, but also because we finally get to move on from those stupid Monahan trade conditions.
As it stands we have our own 1st rnd which better be top 10, NJ's 1st - likely around 20th, and Flor's 1st - likely going to MTL
We also have our 2nd, and Colorado's 2nd

I really hope we can add some more draft capital, and move up from NJ's pick.

I know a few of us (at least) are paying close attention to the different tournaments for these prospects, so who are you looking forward to? I think there is already a "top 7"

Hagens - clear cut #1 IMO. Complete 2 way center, U18 MVP
Frondell & Ryabkin both centers, both ranked top 3 by most. Haven't seen enough of them though yet.
Martone - RW Big guy with physicality & skill. Captain of U18, looked great at that tourny
McQueen 6'5 center with the Wheatkings. Was on a line with Martone at the U18, but got hurt early. Big points this year.
Misa - the younger (and better) brother to our Luke. Was ranked higher, but he didn't play U18 or U17 this year
Schaefer - Captain for the Hlinka team. Looks great, complete Dman. Could go top 3 this year.

I think these are the top dogs, and a natural tier. After this there are still very good prospects, and I'm sure some will rise into top 5 talks. Spence, Wozniak, Desnoyers, Moore, Reschny, Guite, Hensler, etc

Would be soo funny to grab Schaefer with our 1st, but man he looks so good....We really need a top 5 pick.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I doubt the Flames will be bad enough this upcoming season to have a legit opportunity to pick #1 overall...which is just fine with me. As Flamesfan said, Hagens is the clear cut #1 pick, but drafting him would make me very nervous since he's an American player.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Assuming we don't win the lottery my personal preference is the younger Misa. I would also like to get Spence because my coworker's son played with him
At this time lastyear there was some talk of Misa challenging Hagens for #1. I was hoping to see him at the Hlinka, but I think he was injured. Hopefully he has a great start and gets back into top 3 contention.

Spence is fun to watch, liked him at the U18's, and he did score the Gold medal goal for Canada at lastyears Hlinka. But I really hope we do better with our 1st pick.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We finished 9th last, and our roster is significantly weaker than last year. I don't think a lottery pick is out of the question. Not a guarantee, but I think it's quite probable, if not a the most likely scenario.

Short of some explosive growth from some of our young players anyways.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
We finished 9th last, and our roster is significantly weaker than last year. I don't think a lottery pick is out of the question. Not a guarantee, but I think it's quite probable, if not a the most likely scenario.

Short of some explosive growth from some of our young players anyways.
Yep, and most of the teams around and below us improved, some significantly. I think we will be bottom 3/4 with Montreal, Anaheim and San Jose.

Ledge And Dairy

At this time lastyear there was some talk of Misa challenging Hagens for #1. I was hoping to see him at the Hlinka, but I think he was injured. Hopefully he has a great start and gets back into top 3 contention.

Spence is fun to watch, liked him at the U18's, and he did score the Gold medal goal for Canada at lastyears Hlinka. But I really hope we do better with our 1st pick.
I should have clarified with Spence. I would not use our top 10 pick on him. I just want him, hopefully with either New Jersey's 1st or another pick.

I've been following Misa and Spence since they played together in the GTHL. First heard about them from the Jeff Marek show like 2 years ago and have been interested since.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yep, and most of the teams around and below us improved, some significantly. I think we will be bottom 3/4 with Montreal, Anaheim and San Jose.
Montreal has no business being bottom 3, and I think Anaheim finishes closer to 10th - they had major injuries lastyear.

I should have clarified with Spence. I would not use our top 10 pick on him. I just want him, hopefully with either New Jersey's 1st or another pick.

I've been following Misa and Spence since they played together in the GTHL. First heard about them from the Jeff Marek show like 2 years ago and have been interested since.
I think Spence could be in discussion at 10th, I just hope we can get a franchise player.

Ledge And Dairy

Montreal has no business being bottom 3, and I think Anaheim finishes closer to 10th - they had major injuries lastyear.

I think Spence could be in discussion at 10th, I just hope we can get a franchise player.
There are a lot of quality centers projected to go top 10 in this draft. I think it would be a mistake if we were to prioritize a winger like Spence over one of them personally.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
We need to draft one of the centers at the top of this class. Hagens would be ideal but if we don't win the lottery we still need to find a way to get a center.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We need to draft one of the centers at the top of this class. Hagens would be ideal but if we don't win the lottery we still need to find a way to get a center.
That's why we have to be top 5 bad this year. McQueen & Martone could be 2003's Getzlaf & Perry.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hagens would be significant.
Again, the concern there is that it's an American kid coming here. Our recent history says we don't get to keep those for very long. But maybe it's a Matthews situation and he revitalizes the brand.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've never really understood the ins and outs of the very complicated Monahan to Mtl trade but say Calgary finishes the 2024-25 season in the bottom 10 of the league standing .... do we have to give Mtl our own 1st rnd pick in the 2025 draft or can we give them the Florida 2025 1st rnd pick... or do we even have a choice?
If Mtl doesn't want either can they take our own 2026 1st rnd draft pick... which I bet will be again a good one? Or can we say sorry... you can have the 1st rnd pick we got from Vegas. IMO if we have a choice I would think the 2025 Florida 1st rnd pick would be the best one to give up. I think both our own pick in 2026 and the Vegas 2026 1st rnd picks will be very good.
Hats off to those out there that have a solid handle on what will happen in either 2025 or 2026.

Ledge And Dairy

I've never really understood the ins and outs of the very complicated Monahan to Mtl trade but say Calgary finishes the 2024-25 season in the bottom 10 of the league standing .... do we have to give Mtl our own 1st rnd pick in the 2025 draft or can we give them the Florida 2025 1st rnd pick... or do we even have a choice?
If Mtl doesn't want either can they take our own 2026 1st rnd draft pick... which I bet will be again a good one? Or can we say sorry... you can have the 1st rnd pick we got from Vegas. IMO if we have a choice I would think the 2025 Florida 1st rnd pick would be the best one to give up. I think both our own pick in 2026 and the Vegas 2026 1st rnd picks will be very good.
Hats off to those out there that have a solid handle on what will happen in either 2025 or 2026.
1723861454356.png

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So, if I'm reading this correctly, assuming Cgy finishes in the bottom 10 at the end of the 2024-25 season (which they likely will) and Florida doesn't, Mtl gets our primo 2025 1st rnd pick and we end up drafting later in the 1st round (likely MUCH MUCH later) using the Florida pick? That sucks.

Edit: forgot we also have the Devils 1st rnd pick.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
  • Calgary's pick is #1 protected. If Florida's pick transfers (top 10 protected), then Montreal gets the higher of the 2 picks, but the Flames pick also becomes top 10 protected.
It's really this simple.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
So, if I'm reading this correctly, assuming Cgy finishes in the bottom 10 at the end of the 2024-25 season (which they likely will) and Florida doesn't, Mtl gets our primo 2025 1st rnd pick and we end up drafting later in the 1st round (likely MUCH MUCH later) using the Florida pick? That sucks.

No. Flames need to stay in the top 10 of the draft. That ends up being the best case scenario. Then Habs will get Floridas pick.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

If Calgary's 1st is top 10, and Florida's 1st is not top 10, Montreal gets Florida's pick.

if Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

There are other alternatives that are less possible, but far more puke-inducing.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This draft has some solid centers in it. I'm not sure who to take with our pick yet, but the guy I'd like to get late is Reschny. He's small, but he plays bigger and is good both ways. Reminds me of Point.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've been looking at the 2025 draft prospects a little closer and it's quite surprising how many centers are available in the top 10 and still more in the top 15. Looks like a bumper year for our greatest need. Hopefully we can pick one that becomes our long desired #1C.

Reactions: KodakGinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad