The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So the Kraken (didn't realize Dan Bylsma was their head coach, wth?) seem to have one RHD too many after the Montour-signing. Any chance Borgen might shake loose?
Now looking at their roster he's probably the one I'd want to keep from their perspective, but who knows, I mean, they hired Dan f***ing Bylsma as their headcoach.
Joki, Krebs, + for Borgen and this d-corps looks quite a bit more balanced.
They now have Montour, Larsson and Borgen at RD. It's unlikely that he's untouchable, but there's probably not much point in trading him.

I would look at teams that are above or close to the cap, probably where we can find RD.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
There aren't any teams that "need" Joker at the moment. The play is to wait til mid season or the deadline when RHD demand is there.

We have three righties and three guys who can play that side (Dahlin Power Bryson). I suspect the brass isn't anywhere near as concerned about this situation as we are.

I like seeing it as our bottom pair is (or should be) set and solid - Sammy/Joker. They can mix and match Clifton/Bryson/Gilbert with the big 3 on the other pairs.

Dahlin at 25, Power at 23, Byram 22, Sammy 20, Clifton&Joker 30 minutes. It can work. Now when Sammy gets injured 20 games into the season...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There aren't any teams that "need" Joker at the moment. The play is to wait til mid season or the deadline when RHD demand is there.
Anaheim only has Gudas as an RD and they still haven't reached the cap floor. Also we could include Joki in a deal for another RD.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Anaheim only has Gudas as an RD and they still haven't reached the cap floor. Also we could include Joki in a deal for another RD.

Nice. And they have cap space.

Hasn't Fowler played exclusively on the right for years?

I know they have a lot of great young D prospects, at least one of them is probably adept on the off side. Or will need to be.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Nice. And they have cap space.

Hasn't Fowler played exclusively on the right for years?

I know they have a lot of great young D prospects, at least one of them is probably adept on the off side. Or will need to be.
Maybe Fowler was playing RD, I haven't followed it. I just think you can always find a deal for RD, then again, we could retain Joki's salary and get a better RD in the trade that we need.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Maybe Fowler was playing RD, I haven't followed it. I just think you can always find a deal for RD, then again, we could retain Joki's salary and get a better RD in the trade that we need.

I'd do Joker+Rosen+pick for Gudas and not even blink.

Would be better value than a couple other recent trades.

Reactions: HOOats

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
What about a swap of Jokiharju for Liljigren? Change of scenery deal, see if it's a better fit... I still really want them to get Rasmus Anderson for our 2nd pair.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'd do Joker+Rosen+pick for Gudas and not even blink.

Would be better value than a couple other recent trades.
That’s what I’m talking about.

Joker, prospect, pick for veteran defensive defenseman.

I know this can get done.

Reactions: goach

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
They now have Montour, Larsson and Borgen at RD. It's unlikely that he's untouchable, but there's probably not much point in trading him.

I would look at teams that are above or close to the cap, probably where we can find RD.
According to the Kraken board, Borgen might be the most likely to be dealt. He's the type of dman I want as a #4 RD and he even fits age-wise. The cap-strapped teams idea is good in principle but who would that be in reality.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
According to the Kraken board, Borgen might be the most likely to be dealt. He's the type of dman I want as a #4 RD and he even fits age-wise. The cap-strapped teams idea is good in principle but who would that be in reality.
YES A BORGEN REFERENCE. I have been lost wandering the desert waiting for a reference of Borgen back to Buffalo.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
YES A BORGEN REFERENCE. I have been lost wandering the desert waiting for a reference of Borgen back to Buffalo.
There's more where that came from, Carrier, Hagel, I can go on.
Seriously though, name another big physical youngish defensive RHD that can hold down 2nd pairing minutes and who might be available.

Reactions: HOOats

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
There's more where that came from, Carrier, Hagel, I can go on.
Seriously though, name another big physical youngish defensive RHD that can hold down 2nd pairing minutes and who might be available.
Why youngish? We’re already so young.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Borgen is 28 this year so he's not that young. But overall, yeah, he fits the mold, he's decent defensively, plays PK and physical. Although I don't know what he looked like last season.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The only D pairs that I can even begin to understand on a fundamental level are

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Samuelsson
Gilbert-Joker

Joker and Clifton can’t be together or in the top 4. So here we are. Joker should, theoretically, be able to move pucks out while Gilbert covers him. Never actually seen him do it to any degree of success…but at least it’s on the third pair.

You can sub in Bryson and Clifton when you want different types. I don’t care. All four are nothing to me. Develop quick Novikov, Johnson and Komarov.

Samuelsson and Dahlin stopped working a long time ago. So let him cover for Byram on the wrong side I guess. I hate Byram and Power together in their own end so here we are again. I don’t hate them as an idea in the offensive zone but the negatives in their own end would outweigh the positives there. My kingdom for that defensively responsible Power partner I asked for three f***ing years ago.

You might be able to talk me into an occasional look at Byram-Dahlin and Power-Samuelsson…but I don’t like it as much. Mainly because I don’t think Samuelsson fits with Power’s strengths. He’d be way better than Joker at finding where he’s supposed to be in his own end…but Power’s breakouts lose a key option since Samuelsson is where pucks go to die.
A guy who gives Power the puck and stays out of the way is exactly who I want on his pairing. My issue with Power-Sammy is that they both have the same big weakness on defense

Reactions: Fjordy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm a huge advocate for Power/Dahlin on PP1. Seems silly to me not to roll both out on the first unit.
Makes sense and you really want to load up on PP1. Something like
Thompson - Cozens -Tuch
Dahlin - Power

Quinn - JJ - Benson - Zucker
Byram

Maybe switch Cozens with someone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad