Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Oliver Wahlstrom re-signs with the Islanders (1 year, $1M)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I would also add Timo Meier to that list for future reference. We drafted him when Rantanen, Barzal, Chabot, Connor were still on the board because our scouting staff thought we needed a shooter to pair with Jumbo during the time when Setoguchi left. Our staff was so enamored by his "NHL-ready shot" that was on display in the QMJHL. What a load of crock that turned out to be. His shot sucks in the NHL and I only consider it a wicked shot when it is off the rush.
Meier is still a 1st line level player though so I wouldn't lump him in with the busts. Maybe his shot doesn't stand out in the NHL but its good enough to score 30 goals and his game is well rounded enough to be an impact player.

Reactions: Djenthallman

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the only confirmed player I can remember having who was an Islanders fan as a kid is Ryan Pulock, and he's from the great Canadian prairie, not Long Island. So kinda ranom. If NYI had any shot at Hagens, Pinto would be long forgotten.

From my understanding Pulock's dad was a fan(probably during the cup runs years), not sure about Pulock himself

Reactions: saintunspecified

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Hasn't been the same since the torn acl. That being said, it's not like his trajectory was going skyward.

At one point he looked like a guy that could pot 20-25 goals with PP time with a career year of 30-30.

Now I'm surprised he even got an offer.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
People fall in love too much with an elite shot . “It can’t be taught!” They say.

Wahlstrom, Holtz, Zadina, their pro-caliber shots carried them to junior domination and high draft choices.

Takes more than that to be a scorer in the NHL

Bellows , Eiserman , Dal Colle , Mike Bossy

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Bellows , Eiserman , Dal Colle , Mike Bossy

I wouldn't put Bellows or Dal Colle in that category(although it would be fair Wahlstom came in as an elite goal scorer). Bellows was more a "all around" secondary scorer while Dal Colle was more a case of a point producer.

On a side note about Dal Colle not sure how true this is but I read somewhere the scouts wanted to pick Ehlers and Snow overruled them

If you want to throw another High End goal scorer though that busted, Dave Chyzowski.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting that guy from Long Island on local radio said he’d be traded before arbitration. I guess he still can be

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I wouldn't put Bellows or Dal Colle in that category(although it would be fair Wahlstom came in as an elite goal scorer). Bellows was more a "all around" secondary scorer while Dal Colle was more a case of a point producer.

On a side note about Dal Colle not sure how true this is but I read somewhere the scouts wanted to pick Ehlers and Snow overruled them

If you want to throw another High End goal scorer though that busted, Dave Chyzowski.

Sorry, but I think this is reaching a bit.

Both Dal Colle and Bellows were drafted with their chief calling card being goal-scoring.

As with Wahlstrom, that was their supposed forté. That was what they were supposed to bring to the table.

This team has been burned when selecting for that specific trait, which had the Eiserman selection taking many Isles fans down memory lane.

Reactions: golgoXIII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad