The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Buffalo is carrying 8 d-men on a 1 way contract currently.

They are also carrying 13F still with only Benson who can go to the AHL without waivers.

If they are adding anyone, D or F, bodies have to be going the other way.

Any move from here on out would have to be a hockey trade or multiple deals to move a body out and bring a body back.

The most likely scenario is they are done.
If it's a futures-based deal for a D, it would be easy to move Joker or Clifton separately for a late pick to clear room. Same with Krebs (or Greenway though I wouldn't like it) if it's a forward.

Doesn't at all mean they're done, easy maneuvers available.

Reactions: Dubi Doo and Fjordy

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Buffalo is carrying 8 d-men on a 1 way contract currently.

They are also carrying 13F still with only Benson who can go to the AHL without waivers.

If they are adding anyone, D or F, bodies have to be going the other way.

Any move from here on out would have to be a hockey trade or multiple deals to move a body out and bring a body back.

The most likely scenario is they are done.
I've posted various iterations of this myself lately. Outside of something silly - they are done imo.

Reactions: Zman5778

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeah, I heard the same thing before the McLeod trade. :sarcasm:
We had one open roster spot before the McLeod trade.

Krebs is currently 13F.... and we're carrying 8D. Sure there are injuries but there blatantly isn't any roster space unless players move out. And i really don't see who goes at this point. My hope was Joker - but why resign him so quick if he's being traded?

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
We can waive anyone who doesn't have a spot. We shouldn't avoid doing a good deal because we have too many players, unless we're at the contract limit, and we're not.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Krebs is currently 13F.... and we're carrying 8D. Sure there are injuries but there blatantly isn't any roster space unless players move out. And i really don't see who goes at this point. My hope was Joker - but why resign him so quick if he's being traded?
Because he was heading to arbitration. I believe if he files and then accepts an arbitration award he can’t be traded until mid season. Now he’s still an attractive rental piece for any team and we can trade him at anytime.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Why not? In theory we still need a top 6 forward, but even if Adams isn't going to add one, that doesn't mean he can't add a RD, for example. There are teams that haven't reached the floor cap yet (Ducks) and they only have one RD on their roster.

We could also put together a top 6 forward package that includes Greenway, Joki and prospect, for example.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Because he was heading to arbitration. I believe if he girls and then accepts an arbitration award he can’t be traded until mid season. Now he’s still an attractive rental piece for any team and we can trade him at anytime.
Thanks, Josh. I genuinely didn't know that. You left me with some hope we bring in a more physical / defence first guy in his place. I've no idea who, though.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why not? In theory we still need a top 6 forward, but even if Adams isn't going to add one, that doesn't mean he can't add a RD, for example. There are teams that haven't reached the floor cap yet (Ducks) and they only have one RD on their roster.

We could also put together a top 6 forward package that includes Greenway, Joki and prospect, for example.
See above. I'd argue that a guy to play on the bottom pair with Clifton is more of a realistic need at the moment. Too many people here focus on handedness. Our 'top 4' are set assuming Samuelsson can stay healthy. Who really cares if they are all left shots?

I really think we're done at forward though. Zucker was the 'top 6' addition, he's a placeholder for Kulich, Rosen or whoever else eventually makes it. Decent chance we see Benson there from the outset too, pushing Zucker to the bottom six...

It makes no sense to move Greenway for a more offense first guy at this point either. I could see him being an important cog in Lindy's system. He is a unique player. We have plenty of offence first guys in the pipeline but nobody like him.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
See above. I'd argue that a guy to play on the bottom pair with Clifton is more of a realistic need at the moment. Too many people here focus on handedness. Our 'top 4' are set assuming Samuelsson can stay healthy. Who really cares if they are all left shots?

I really think we're done at forward though. Zucker was the 'top 6' addition, he's a placeholder for Kulich, Rosen or whoever else eventually makes it. Decent chance we see Benson there from the outset too, pushing Zucker to the bottom six...

It makes no sense to move Greenway for a more offense first guy at this point either. I could see him being an important cog in Lindy's system. He is a unique player. We have plenty of offence first guys in the pipeline but nobody like him.
Have you seen how Lindy pairs up? All the Devils defensemen have played the same ice-time, except for the veteran Smith, he played less. So why do we need another LD for the third pair if we have Sammy, Johnson, Gilbert and Bryson. We need an RD who will play with Power or Byram. Does four LDs in the top 4 affect the game at all? Is it convenient for defense, is it convenient to move the puck under pressure? Dahlin can do it, but will the rest of them be convenient? I saw that Ruff likes a balanced defense, we do not have it, imo.

Maybe, but I also thought that Krebs was our 3C and Adams traded for McLeod. So we will see.

Now we have Malenstyn, Lafferty and NAK, only they are much faster than Greenway. I still support adding a top 6 forward, and I am not against Greenway, but this is my opinion.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I still don't understand what our defense will look like. If we have Dahlin, Power, Byram and Sammy in the top 4, then Joki will play with Clifton in the third pair? I think this is a doomed plan.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm comfortable with our defense. Clifton played much better the second half of the season and he seems like the type that will thrive in a Ruff coached team. Dahlin likes playing his off-side. We have 8 - 9 NHL defensemen. If the right deal comes along, then fine, and if Joker can be made available to improve our forwards or to get a different type of D, then sure, but I'm not worried about it.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm comfortable with our defense. Clifton played much better the second half of the season and he seems like the type that will thrive in a Ruff coached team. Dahlin likes playing his off-side. We have 8 - 9 NHL defensemen. If the right deal comes along, then fine, and if Joker can be made available to improve our forwards or to get a different type of D, then sure, but I'm not worried about it.
Playoff quality now?

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I still don't understand what our defense will look like. If we have Dahlin, Power, Byram and Sammy in the top 4, then Joki will play with Clifton in the third pair? I think this is a doomed plan.
How can it be doomed? Not many teams that have a Dahlin power byram Samuelsson in top 4 . Would be doomed without elit talent

Reactions: Dingo44

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The problem with our many nhl defensemen is that only like 3 tops are nhl defensemen I’d want on my nhl team

Reactions: Tatanka

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don’t know either. But I don’t think much of what Donny was doing with the top 4 will matter. As you’ve pointed out, Ruff likes balance in his d-pairs minutes. That may lead to unexpected combos we haven’t thought of yet.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
We have one good defenseman we can count on playing at a high level this year.

Power, Byram, Sammy all have played well at times and have potential to be good top 4 D in the long run, but there are no gaurantees for this year. Add to that the imbalance in handedness and, to me, there is a real need for another defensive D we can count on who shoots righty.

If we're saying we can't afford to wait on our forward prospects and needed help at F now, the same should be true for the D. It's kind of an important year.

This is not to say the team thinks they need help at D. They've given no indication that's the case. Just my opinion.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Very odd but sure.

I completely disagree. I think Byram had some injury issues but he's already proven he can be a stud in the playoffs in the NHL and he has a very bright future. Getting thrown into the mix for a month and a half on a Granato coached team isn't indicative of what he brings. He actually played the best the first couple of weeks when he was just playing by instincts.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t know either. But I don’t think much of what Donny was doing with the top 4 will matter. As you’ve pointed out, Ruff likes balance in his d-pairs minutes. That may lead to unexpected combos we haven’t thought of yet.
This is how I see it for now:

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Sammy
Joki - Clifton

I don't like this option because of the third pair, I think it will be uncomfortable for either Clifton or Joki to play on the LD.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Sammy - Joki

I like this option better, but it will depend on whether Clifton can be good under Ruff.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This is how I see it for now:

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Sammy
Joki - Clifton

I don't like this option because of the third pair, I think it will be uncomfortable for either Clifton or Joki to play on the LD.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Sammy - Joki

I like this option better, but it will depend on whether Clifton can be good under Ruff.
Now do it without Sammy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad