The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Or perhaps they think McLeod is that Hecht type to support say Tage and Tuch?
That was my thought too when Oiler fans chimed in on his LW play next to Drai. Needless to say I’m liking the versatility of the forwards and line options at Ruff’s disposal. Things to consider even before the inevitable injuries bug strikes.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I think I would go:

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju

(Bryson-Clifton or Gilbert-Jokiharju during injuries to Sammy)
I still have high hopes for Sammy, but his injury history is discouraging. It's not just missing a big, physical, defensive blueline presence from the roster. It has to be deterring his development as well.

During his 3 full NHL seasons he's played 42, 55, and 41 games.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
From Chad DeDominicis Latest Article

Mentioned Savoie was the prospect the Sabres were shopping.
Other teams wanted other prospects including Anton Wahlberg.

There was another deal in place at the draft that fell apart involving Savoie.

He believes Adams waits to see if the prices go down for wingers in the trade market.

Savoie was mentioned as a piece in the Ehlers Trade Discussions.

He also mentioned Zegras and the fact Philadelphia hasn’t moved a forward yet.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In having sometime to marinate the overall look of the lineup:

The defense needs some work

Given Ruff's love for a shutdown pairing, I have to think Samuelsson-Clifton is going to make an appearance.

That gives you a top 4 of

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker

Or some combo of the four.

There is an obvious weak link here.

What you are looking for is, essentially, an in place upgrade to Joker.

I'm not sure that is available right now.

After that.....

Assuming a top line of

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch

A 4th line of:

Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK

That's a middle six of

Cozens, Quinn, Benson, McLeod, Zucker, Greenway, Krebs

Given McLeod's defensive prowess, I have to think he's going to be the matchup center.

In matchup lines, Ruff historically has lined a heavy winger there,and we don't have a heavier guy than Greenway.

So I think we'll see a duo of Mcleod/Greenway to start.

As for the secondary offensive line, it's going to be a mix of:

Cozens-Quinn

I think Benson/Zucker will probably flip a bit. I'm not sure who plays better on their off wing.

In goal, I'd really like to see Reimer start as the backup with Levi going to Rochester. Reimer is the kind of guy who gets sniped off waivers pretty quick when a team has an injury in goal.

Overall, I'd rate organizational needs as:

1. A partner for whoever isn't playing with Dahlin.

Whether is Power-Dahlin or Byram-Dahlin, there isn't a solid 4D option that plays the right side to play with either Byram/Power.

2. A forward to shake up the top 6. Ideally I'd like a top line RW that can push Tuch down the lineup. But, I'm open to lots of options here.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Adams is probably done. I would love for him to get a legit top 6 forward, but with the Zucker signing and McLeod trade, it seems unlikely. But the main thing is he got a 3C. I think that was the biggest hole in the lineup and it was important to fill it.

I would also be more confident in our defense if we could get a player like Pesce or Roy to UFA, but apparently they are happy with this defense, I hope it works out.

Krebs, if he wants to make the roster, he will have to earn it.

And UFA after next season:

Zucker (5M)
Greenway (3M)
NAK (1.5M)
Jokiharju (3.1M)
Bryson (900K)
Gilbert (825K)
Reimer (1M)

That's a little over 15 million available. The cap will probably go up as well. I think Adams could add top 6 F or top 4 RD. Although I don't think he will do it.

based on my forecasted bridgrs and salaries given raises to current roster players..

They have about 6M in space this year.
If the operator on 22 man roster of 13/7/2 the appear to have about 6M in space over those years. Thatd filling out the roster with low elc-2M contracts

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
And UFA after next season:

Zucker (5M)
Greenway (3M)
NAK (1.5M)
Jokiharju (3.1M)
Bryson (900K)
Gilbert (825K)
Reimer (1M)

That's a little over 15 million available. The cap will probably go up as well. I think Adams could add top 6 F or top 4 RD. Although I don't think he will do it.
That money is already spent along with needing to re-sign Levi.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Some thoughts:

1. They're a mucccch faster team now. Little surprised they let Robinson go, he seemed to fit the 'all wheels no hands' bottom line mindset.
2. Savoie was a heavy price to pay for McLeod. They're clearly hoping there's more there ala Mitts/Thompson at 25
3. Speaking of Thompson, if him and Cozens don't regain their form this team is an easy playoff miss.
4. They've got to be looking at moving a LHD right?
5. A team can have productive small players, it just can't have too many of them
6. Buffalo's offensive has been too easy to stop at home. Ideally Ruff will use all this new size and speed to attack the blue line at the center of the ice. Before they'd just get stuffed at the faceoff dots because it was there only breakin option aside from a hero carry up the center.
7. I don't think they had a bad forecheck before, but this year should be better
8. Still have them on the outside looking in, and I don't know what to do to change that.
9. People around the league watched the playoffs which to my eye were officiated more 2012 than 2022

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Trading Quinn would be beyond asinine. He's the most talented forward on the team. He basically put up a prorated 30g/40a season after missing all that time. His vision and ability to make a play jump started Cozens after his forgettable first half
Yup. Most talented Amerk Ive watched play live. Vanek was probably the 2nd best Ive seen, but Quinn is just so much more dynamic with his skating. I saw the fear in a defenseman's eyes once when Quinn came flying down the wing from the neutral zone, cut it inside by the hash marks, and ripped a wrister for a SHG. I had the perfect seat for that one. I swear I saw the sweat from that defenseman's eyebrows. He was picking up his jock strap after that one.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Some thoughts:

1. They're a mucccch faster team now. Little surprised they let Robinson go, he seemed to fit the 'all wheels no hands' bottom line mindset.
2. Savoie was a heavy price to pay for McLeod. They're clearly hoping there's more there ala Mitts/Thompson at 25
3. Speaking of Thompson, if him and Cozens don't regain their form this team is an easy playoff miss.
4. They've got to be looking at moving a LHD right?
5. A team can have productive small players, it just can't have too many of them
6. Buffalo's offensive has been too easy to stop at home. Ideally Ruff will use all this new size and speed to attack the blue line at the center of the ice. Before they'd just get stuffed at the faceoff dots because it was there only breakin option aside from a hero carry up the center.
7. I don't think they had a bad forecheck before, but this year should be better
8. Still have them on the outside looking in, and I don't know what to do to change that.
9. People around the league watched the playoffs which to my eye were officiated more 2012 than 2022

Robinson had speed... didn't hit.

They clearly wanted physicality on 4th line

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Maybe.

But, I won't be shocked if Adams does swing a trade for a top 6 forward between now and camp. I just won't expect it, either.

Moveable parts are Krebs, Joker, and possibly Greenway

Not moving at all--- Helenius, Wahlberg, Kulich.

That would be looking for s more shutdown RD that would pair with Sam in late 3rd protect the lead

That money is already spent along with needing to re-sign Levi.
Based on my projections of 3 yr bridges at 3.5 for benson, quinn, peterka and replacing bottom players with elc-2M players will leave about 6M in space the next 3 yrs with 13F 7D and 2G on the roster.

Zucker replace by ELC at 1M. NAK and Laferty replace by same rate
Clifton replace with elc/1M D

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Robinson had speed... didn't hit.

They clearly wanted physicality on 4th line

I would ascribe that to coaching though because he did a bit and then backed off. And no one in the team did outside of Clifton, and even he was limited. The direction from the staff was not that. I fully expect Robinson to be back to both hitting and active PKing in Carolina.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Moveable parts are Krebs, Joker, and possibly Greenway

Not moving at all--- Helenius, Wahlberg, Kulich.

That would be looking for s more shutdown RD that would pair with Sam in late 3rd protect the lead

Based on my projections of 3 yr bridges at 3.5 for benson, quinn, peterka and replacing bottom players with elc-2M players will leave about 6M in space the next 3 yrs with 13F 7D and 2G on the roster.

Zucker replace by ELC at 1M. NAK and Laferty replace by same rate
Clifton replace with elc/1M D

Would like one of Quinn or Peterka to get more than a bridge, 6 year term or so, whichever one they feel better about

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So......something I was thinking -- what do our PP units look like now?

Tuch/Tage/Dahlin seem like locks for PP1. Tuch probably net front, Tage in his spot and Dahlin on point. Question then becomes -- who's the bumper and who's the right trigger? I'm a fan of Benson in the bumper. So then I think it'd come down to JJP vs. Quinn vs. Cozens on the right trigger. Personally, I'm a fan of having someone off-hand there, so I'd lean JJP.

Now....PP2? Power on point seems obvious. If he isn't on PP1, Cozens in the Tage spot also seems obvious. Then what? Personally, I'd try Byram in the right trigger and Quinn in the bumper. Then who in front? Personally, I'd put Greenway there.

What y'all think?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Our #1 center is Tage and #1 dman is Dahlin. I don’t expect anyone else but them to produce like a 1C or 1D.

I said 1st line and 1st pair. I didn't say what you think I said.

96 1st line forwards in the league and 64 1st pair dmen in the league.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Tuch/Tage/Dahlin seem like locks for PP1. Tuch probably net front, Tage in his spot and Dahlin on point. Question then becomes -- who's the bumper and who's the right trigger? I'm a fan of Benson in the bumper. So then I think it'd come down to JJP vs. Quinn vs. Cozens on the right trigger. Personally, I'm a fan of having someone off-hand there, so I'd lean JJP.

Now....PP2? Power on point seems obvious. If he isn't on PP1, Cozens in the Tage spot also seems obvious. Then what? Personally, I'd try Byram in the right trigger and Quinn in the bumper. Then who in front? Personally, I'd put Greenway there.

What y'all think?
Zucker is not good at PP?

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

What y'all think?
Benson was on ice for more short handed goals allowed than PP goals for last year. Not sure how you’re a fan of him on the PP.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Benson was on ice for more short handed goals allowed than PP goals for last year. Not sure how you’re a fan of him on the PP.
How many of those was he directly responsible for? Maybe 1 off the top of my head?

And I'm a fan of his on the PP because I think he's the best bumper guy we had last year but Meatballs misused him greatly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad