The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Never mind Ruff... What about a full season of UPL playing like he did during the second half of last year? A healthy Thompson? A healthy Quinn? An actual grind/energy line that makes the team tougher to play against & makes other players play harder ? The addition of Byram for a full year? Improvement from an 18yo rookie Benson ? Other rookies possibly breaking into the team?

There's lots of reason to believe that this squad is better than last year's.
I agree entirely but theres also reason for pessimism if we are essentially paying Zucker 8 mill this year (his salary plus the buy out price to replace Skinner) and that's our big splash. Making our pick instead of trading it to truly upgrade the team...etc etc. There's lots to be sour about but your post is spot on in what there is to be optimistic about.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Agreed, mostly. It's kind of dependent on our top 6 being better (specifically Tage, Tuch and Cozens).

But if they rebound, I think we're going to be in the hunt all year.......unless the Krebs line is unplayable.
That's hard to imagine if they place him with Greenway and Benson. My worry is depth scoring. I believe they'll be able to flip the ice from the D zone to O zone atleast.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I know everyone here is knowledgeable enough to appreciate the revamped 4th line (that isn't the case in other social media cesspools ha), but how many times did Granato (and the players) not show up ready to play in so many dreadful 1st periods. Ruff won't have that and it's going to be fantastic to have a line you can toss over the boards or even start the game to bring some noise instead of just having Girgs/Okie go 'win' a quiet shift.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I know everyone here is knowledgeable enough to appreciate the revamped 4th line (that isn't the case in other social media cesspools ha), but how many times did Granato (and the players) not show up ready to play in so many dreadful 1st periods. Ruff won't have that and it's going to be fantastic to have a line you can toss over the boards or even start the game to bring some noise instead of just having Girgs/Okie go 'win' a quiet shift.
Granato was the right choice to develop them, but he was too lenient on the players. Hopefully, Ruff holds them accountable and works them harder to get them ready to start the season. No more club med practices and feel good talks after a loss. Get them angry, fired up, make them hate losing. Some seemed to hang their heads when they were down in games, instead of working harder like they should have done.

For some reason Mittelstadt made some comments 2 years ago after a loss that stuck with me. It was after a game they lost, he said something about when they went down by a goal after losing a lead or something like that, the entire team was deflated and just gave up. That is unacceptable, and something that needs to be driven out of them. To me that's a type of attitude that is contagious, and you need to root it out of the locker room entirely.

Reactions: stealth1

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t think we will either. I am concerned about our 3rd line center. Besides that I think they are shaping up to be a good team.

I’m also concerned though to be honest it is with all their centers. It feels like we are back to the end of the Darcy era and need someone to step up in the middle. Last season isn’t all due to Granato. Neither of the top two returning centers appeared ready for the year. They have serious questions to answer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I’m partial to the idea of having a line or even two that start the game and the PUCK doesn’t matter. Finish everybody and cycle. Get the crowd into the game, get your sleepy teammates into the game, make it hard for the other team from the drop the puck, the straw that stirs the drink has Lindy used to refer to Kaleta.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I’m part of the idea of having a line or even two that start the game and the PUCK doesn’t matter. Finish everybody and cycle. Get the crowd into the game, get your sleepy teammates into the game, make it hard for the other team from the drop the puck, the straw that stirs the drink has Lindy used to refer to Kaleta.
I would even entertain the idea of spreading out Malenstyn, Lafferty, and Greenway on three different lines just to have that going for a good part of a period, sometimes anyway.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I’m partial to the idea of having a line or even two that start the game and the PUCK doesn’t matter. Finish everybody and cycle. Get the crowd into the game, get your sleepy teammates into the game, make it hard for the other team from the drop the puck, the straw that stirs the drink has Lindy used to refer to Kaleta.
fvck yes

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Awesome point. Nothing better to get the team and the crowd into the game!

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
What's EH GAR?
Evolving Hockey's Goals Above Replacement.

And this is an attempt to be *predictive*, so it should be looked at as purely entertainment value. Hockey analytics are constantly improving, but they're currently at the point where the results from looking backward have some pretty significant error bars ...trying to look forward is not going to produce anything remotely reliable.

(And the stuff that's publicly available is way behind the curve; anyone who's actually good at this is working for a team, not posting on a website named after a Magic The Gathering card).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Evolving Hockey's Goals Above Replacement.

And this is an attempt to be *predictive*, so it should be looked at as purely entertainment value. Hockey analytics are constantly improving, but they're currently at the point where the results from looking backward have some pretty significant error bars ...trying to look forward is not going to produce anything remotely reliable.

(And the stuff that's publicly available is way behind the curve; anyone who's actually good at this is working for a team, not posting on a website named after a Magic The Gathering card).
So we don’t suck?

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
.....holy christ I'm a moron. Thank you.
Don’t worry I’m in the same boat.

I havnt been able to learn squat about it, but I guess it definitley can be looked at as an useful tool. I guess I’m just from the group that prefers eye test vs looking at charts and stuff

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
The Skinner buy-out really only makes sense if you utilize the capspace and replace his offense in one way or another.
Simply substracting him from the roster doesn't improve the team, only Pegulas pockets. Then again, maybe that was the goal.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad