The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So we pretty clearly have 12 forwards and 6 defensmen.

FORWARDS - Peterka, Thompson, Tuch, Benson, cozens, quinn, Zucker, krebs, greenway, Malenstyn, lafferty, and aube-kubel.

DEFENSEMEN - Byram, dahlin, Power, joker, samuelsson, clifton

I think the most clear spot to upgrade is krebs at 3C. It really is a need. In an ideal world I’d like to upgrade joker on defense, but I don’t see that happening right now.

Like most i'd like another top 6 player and a top 4 d man..

I do like that 4th line tho... lol

Gotta replace krebs. I’d move major futures pieces for a legit Center

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
So we pretty clearly have 12 forwards and 6 defensmen.

FORWARDS - Peterka, Thompson, Tuch, Benson, cozens, quinn, Zucker, krebs, greenway, Malenstyn, lafferty, and aube-kubel.

DEFENSEMEN - Byram, dahlin, Power, joker, samuelsson, clifton

I think the most clear spot to upgrade is krebs at 3C. It really is a need. In an ideal world I’d like to upgrade joker on defense, but I don’t see that happening right now.

Gotta replace krebs. I’d move major futures pieces for a legit Center
Yeah, this actually looks like an NHL team. The bottom six has been a series of castoffs and misfit toys for so long, it is nice to see some more intent. That Krebs spot is a pretty gaping hole, and an obvious spot to upgrade with some type of 2 way center.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My pessimistic but, IMO, realistic view of what they're gonna do and how things are gonna go:

-Run it back with the defense and assume Lindy will unlock Byram and Power's better games and also somehow ensure Sammy will be available for more than 50 games in the season. Maybe they flip Joker in a player for player trade or move him for a pick, then trade the pick for another defenseman. I expect some progress from Bo and OP, but also assume Samuelsson will miss a shitload of time, and they'll pay for not solidifying the top 4 more.

-Massively overpay a middle of the road or aging 3rd liner to take Skinner's place as a top 6 winger and assume they don't need to do anything else. KA figures Peterka can handle line 1 duties full-time and again has zero backup plans for potential poor play or injuries to anyone in the top 6. I guess at least they'd have several kids to trot out if they need to replace forwards in the lineup.

-In a similar vein, they promote Krebs to 3C apropos of nothing other than "he's a rising young player who wants to be here." Lindy realizes this is a mistake within the first 2 weeks of the season and they sign whoever's available at that point to try and salvage the spot in their lineup. It won't work.

-Add in random, non-needle moving 4th line/AHL depth signings.

-UPL regresses slightly from the Vezina level play he offered in the back half of the year, but is generally a solid/above average goalie. Levi progresses but has some struggles as a backup.

-Pegula fires Adams at the end of the year after another wasted season. The incoming GM (assuming Forton b/c how are they gonna attract any outsider with even a smidge of credibility) still doesn't really have any idea of what he has in Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and Savoie at the NHL level.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but between an owner who is both absentee and a meddler, and an inexperienced GM who's in miles over his head, this team feels hopeless.
I don't usually post callbacks, but these predictions feel too on the nose to not re-share. Caveat that I like the 4th line moves a bit more than I expected I would. I hate that, barring an unexpected trade, they're gonna gift Krebs the 3C spot when he's been a black hole on offense for almost his whole Buffalo tenure.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm conflicted. I want to spread the wealth around, so I'd inclined to do somethinglike this:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
High O zone usage.

Zucker-Cozens-Quinn
Well, I was hoping for a better two way winger, but if Zucker can be a solid top-9 winger, then I'm fine with him. Quinn and Cozens could be a lightning duo next year. If that's the case, then Zucker just needs to be productive for that line to work.

Greenway-Krebs-Benson
Solid defensive line. Girgs-Krebs-Oko played as a top-9 line in 22-23, and were very effective. Greenway and Benson are an upgrade on them, and bring similar defensive chops and forechecking skills. Hopefully, this is 1 of 2 lines that is a PITA to play against.

Beck-Lafferty- Aube-Kubel
Love it. Love it. Love it.

I LOVE what they did with the 4th line. The 4th line of the caps pretty much dragged their corpse into the playoffs. I believe Buffalo's 4tljnine can be a similar PITA to play against. This is what I wanted to see last season. Im happy about that.

I am not happy that it appears Krebs is getting a shot in the top-9. That center spine is too young for my liking. I'm also iffy on the Zucker signing.

All in all, Im happy about somethings and concerned about somethings. Would love to upgrade Krebs, but the offense seems largely set. I do like Krebs and think he can become a good top-9 C, and Greenway + Benson should make life wayyy easier for him. Ill be rooting for him.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2024-45 Buffalo Sabres:

1719858333829.png

The Gilbert and Bryson signings spell the end for Jokiharju IMO, I just don't see room for him in this group. I thought we'd move his rights for another player, but now it's probably going to be a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We're gonna be like 8 mill under cap.

I need to find a good BBQ sauce to eat my crow on the Pegula is cheap narrative.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The Sabres cheaped out on goalie depth, defence depth, a top forward and then spent $5 M like idiots on Zucker. This should be shocking to no one.\

The Skinner buyout was likely a combo of Ruff not wanting him, Pegula being embarrassed by the original deal and having him around but also saving money. They now have 17 guys on the roster.

My guess is they will cheap out on UPL next and sign him to a two-year deal that walks him to UFA and keeps Jokiharju. That will cost maybe another $7 M. Krebs/Malenstyn might add $3.5 M. Rookie contracts will fill out the roster. We will be $8 M under cap or about 10%. That was always my expectation.

The Sabres are a feeder team for other franchises. Get used to it. They should still be able to make playoffs some years with even halfway competent management. But Pegula has laid out the path for the next little bit.

I would be honestly worried when the lease runs out in 2027. This won't be a playoff team in 2024-25 or very low odds. And 2025-26 and 2026-27? Who knows? Is there going to be a rush to hand Terry $350 M for a major rink renovation? I truly wonder.

Terry Pegula is the worst thing that ever happened to the Buffalo Sabres. Incompetent managers and coaches making bad trades and contract, hamstrung but a horrible owner.

There is just no way his ownership has been better than Golisano and the Knox's. That's not close. I will even take the Rigas family. Yes, they went to jail but their shadiness kept the team going. I think the team is run slightly better than when the league had control.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't usually post callbacks, but these predictions feel too on the nose to not re-share. Caveat that I like the 4th line moves a bit more than I expected I would. I hate that, barring an unexpected trade, they're gonna gift Krebs the 3C spot when he's been a black hole on offense for almost his whole Buffalo tenure.
I suspect that Adams can't help but talk himself into leaving it open for competition (Kulich/Krebs) and think he can make a trade after training camp.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Predict: will not make the playoffs

I was called out multiple times for being negative. This team is a joke under the current ownership/management and there is nothing that makes me believe it will change. I have slight slight hope in Ruff but he's 65 and a main reason he is back is Devils are paying part of his contract and the guy wants to be near family and he does truly love Buffalo. Lindy is really the best hope for Sabres. Does he have any magic? They saddled him with B level assistants likely on cheap deals too. Maybe he can do something because there is still tons of talent on roster fromn drafting high for years.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I was called out multiple times for being negative. This team is a joke under the current ownership/management and there is nothing that makes me believe it will change. I have slight slight hope in Ruff but he's 65 and a main reason he is back is Devils are paying part of his contract and the guy wants to be near family and he does truly love Buffalo. Lindy is really the best hope for Sabres. Does he have any magic? They saddled him with B level assistants likely on cheap deals too. Maybe he can do something because there is still tons of talent on roster fromn drafting high for years.
Ruff is not a magician, he had a more balanced and experienced roster in the Devils and he only made the playoffs once. If Adams had given him a good roster I would have believed in the playoffs with Ruff, but this roster is not good enough and now I probably even agree that there was no point in buyout Skinner if you replace him with Zucker, who is also aging, gets injured, is not good at defense and does not score like Skinner.

Man, You guys are right. This team is doomed. We hit the July 1 2:30pm roster freeze and are stuck with this team!
With all the signings they've made, it looks like they've frozen the roster. Maybe they'll trade Jokiharju for the futures and that's it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Krebs is the 3C and they’re going to just move Benson up to a top 6…oh boy.

The problem remains what it has always been. The moves Adams hasn’t made. He needs to trade prospects and picks for NHL talent. It’s year five.

The signings today are fine. And if Krebs is replacing Mittelstadt none of them will matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad