The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I'm sitting here and was ready to type out a snarky comment about the logjam of prospects but to be honest its just not worth it anymore.

Slapdashery is not the way to build a roster and/or break a slump.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I have no confidence in Krebs.

I am unfortunately with you in that. I want a legit 3C.

And if the option is krebs or the field, I’d rather see Kulich or Savoie in the role (and I think both are wingers at the NHL level).

I’d love for Krebs to prove me wrong, he’s a likable player.

Reactions: Beerz

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Didn't Pesce nix a deal Adams had to bring him to Buffalo last year.

Probably, plenty of other solid RD available. Plenty of deals to be made. And we.. have a 4th line, now, I guess. And got worse precisely where I thought they would and failed to fix the D.

It’s early, but the Zucker deal is weird and the D concerns me mightily.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I'm curious to see what the Caps and possibly the Avs do given their cap situations now. Avs could need to shed salary if Landy is back. Lehkonen or Colton would be a nice addition.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I think it was time for both sides to part ways.

Gus has seem ROR, Eichel, Rhino, Erod and his good friend Okie win a cup. He's not getting any younger and isn't going to win a cup here anytime soon

Last edited:

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
the forwards can be mediocre at best... our season IMO depends on our defence ( Power/Byram Especially ) and whether or not UPL can build off of last year.

He's not gonna win the venza but @ + 250.00 odds i had to throw a 20 on him. you never know. Go sabres !

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Another year of young kids learning.

the forwards can be mediocre at best... our season IMO depends on our defence ( Power/Byram Especially ) and whether or not UPL can build off of last year.

He's not gonna win the venza but @ + 250.00 odds i had to throw a 20 on him. you never know. Go sabres !
They aren’t going anywhere with that young top 4 and young goalie. Probably a year or 2 away at this pace.

Reactions: VaporTrail

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, in the "Aggressive Improvement, end the 13 year playoff drought" offseason

Out:

Skinner, Girgensons, Jost, Robinson

In:

Zucker, Malenstyn, NAK, Lafferty

Essentially, an upgraded 4th line and swapping Skinner for Zucker.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I dunno, seems like they did a pretty good job rebuilding the fourth line, which was the most pressing need. Like it or not, Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, JJP, Quinn... these are the guys. That was never going to change today. I'm not sure who gets that 6th spot, that's kinda why I don't understand why Skinner was bought out. But who gets that spot IMO isn't as important as those players I listed being healthy and playing more like 22-23 and less like 23-24.

The thing that worries me is injuries. What happens when a few of these guys inevitably go down. I don't think most teams are rolling four lines of the exact same kinds of players that can always fill in the line above them... you want guys that can play up and down the lineup in a pinch, sure, but I think in general the Sabres have been underutilizing players from Rochester. Injuries are when these kids are supposed to be getting their cups of coffee. And that hasn't really been happening (at least not in an effective way).

The problem is that the Sabres haven't had a functional NHL team for over a decade. How can a kid come up and be productive when the regulars don't even know what they're supposed to be doing?

That's where I'm hoping Ruff comes in. However the roster looks come the season opener... get them showing up every night, give the team a system and an identity, and every player a role to play on the ice. Teach the kids in Rochester those roles, if a player goes down give them all the video, information and practice they need to be the next Tuch, the next Quinn, the next Thompson.

So whenever a player twists their ankle you aren't dismantling four (presumably) working lines trying to move someone up, you're filling a single spot with a hungry kid, and giving them all the tools they need to succeed there.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think Byram and Power take big steps forward this year.

I think fans are underestimating this team out of spite of Adams.

Perhaps Benson, Quinn and Peterka can have a much better showing this year.

The Skinner buyout is a bit boggling unless a trade is coming he seemed to want to be here and wasn't standing in the way of our prospects.

Savoie, Kulich and Rosen are wild cards.

Shoring up the 4th line was a step forward too

If UPL plays a full year like he did last year and If the team can gel maybe we have a shot at the playoffs.

Last edited:

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
so is buffalo going to add anything more they have lots of cap left. I'd be fine with this if they added one more top 6 forward as well.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Let’s recap

They re-did the bottom 6 with experienced fast players. Signed some D depth. And have all summer to work out a trade for a top 6 forward and (hopefully) a third line center. What is the problem? That press conference sent everyone over the f***ing edge.

Reactions: Dingo44

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So, after day 1....my thoughts:

1.) LOVE what they did to the 4th line. It's now an actual NHL 4th line that Lindy is going to love.
2.) Zucker is a fine addition to the middle 6. Yeah, he's older, but he's got a bit left in the tank. Yes, he's overpaid.......but that's what we gotta do.
3.) As of right now, our playoff hopes are dependent on:
a.) Tage being healthy and playing more like 22/23
b.) Tuch being healthy and playing more like 22/23
c.) JJP not regressing
d.) Quinn being healthy and progressing
e.) Benson progressing
f.) Cozens progressing and playing more like 22/23
(notice a theme?)
g.) UPL playing like last season

We shall see.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I'm worried about RD depth, and I wanted to see some veteran winning pedigree brought in.

Zucker ain't it for me.

Still just feels like more of the same to me.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Let’s recap

They re-did the bottom 6 with experienced fast players. Signed some D depth. And have all summer to work out a trade for a top 6 forward and (hopefully) a third line center. What is the problem? That press conference sent everyone over the f***ing edge.
The problem is, who is he going to add a top 6 forward to? I don't believe he's going to do that. He signed Zucker, and Benson will be a top 6. He seems to have forgotten about the center, as if that's not a problem.

I think if he had just traded for Ehlers for example, then he wouldn't have had to sign Zucker or Aube-Kubel (if Greenway could play the fourth line).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Let’s recap

While I agree with all this, Adams track record doesn't inspire confidence that there are actually trades coming for a top 6 forward and a 3C.

I think it's more likely we go into camp with the roster we have than a significant addition or trade. He's got a couple months to prove me wrong.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I'm worried about the PK. Lafferty and NAK basically didn't pk at all last year, and Malenstyn did but didn't grade out well.

We gained size and speed, but not a ton of defensive acumen added. Lafferty, Zucker, and Malenstyn didn't have great defensive numbers. NAK is solid defensively, but we lost Girgs who grades out better for many years than any of them.

I like Lafferty better than Krebs as 4c, but he's 47% on faceoffs for his career. Not a strength.

We might have slightly changed/improved our 4th line in some ways, but not others. It's not a homerun for me. And that's basically all we did.

Not a ton of excitement for the season if this is the end of the moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad