The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The last bit is why other GM's aren't circling back to him: he's a waste of their time and difficult to deal with. KA is literally Garth Snow (who was infamous for not making any move unless he was 100% sure he won big) but biggest failure of an owner in hockey history decided to hire an unqualified crony to be our GM and here we are...
Isn't it widely accepted we JUST overpaid for a 4th liner? Doesn't that refute your position that Adams won't trade unless it is a big win for him?

Reactions: joshjull

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have no inside source of information. I just know it’s too early to get worried about the offseason. How do I know? Not one UFA has been signed. Please, give it until at least tomorrow evening before twisting.

If we start panicking now, we will be all warmed up and stretched out for when we can really panic.

Measured responses and patience isn’t fun at all.

You go get some pitchforks, I’ve had my Adams effigy ready for a while now. If I can find some child care we can meet outside of first Niagara arena about an hour after free agency opens to start a mob.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Taylor Hall.
And Taylor Hall used the Sabres as a path to get what he wanted…..came to the Sabres, put in a crappy effort, and forced his hand on us to get to the Bruins…..

A prime example of how I feel a Stamkos signing would be, or Kane.

This team has all the skill guys it needs, it needs the role players…..crap, freaking Vegas went to the finals it’s first year because it had a team of cast off role players. Start fitting in 3-4 3rd liners on this team and we’ll be top 4 in the East.

Reactions: Diaspora

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Taylor Hall.
I don't consider him. He was a one year splash trying to get back on an upswing in his career. He needed a place willing to overpay for that chance, and I don't think either side expected him to stay.

For a top-six LW or middle-six C, we all hope for a long-term player in their prime. Those guys don't sign in Buffalo as a UFA. KA can still make a trade but that track record isn't looking too good either.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Duchene staying in Dallas, Tanev getting a six year offer from the Leafs, Boston and Toronto hard after Zadorov - Friedman's morning 32 Thoughts hit.
It'll be interesting to see how big Z does in that D core. I feel like they'd be regret that signing if he gets paid.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I think a better explanation is a lack of personal relationships that you'd gain from working up the ladder. If you started out as a scout and worked up to GM, you'd know someone in the vast majority of front offices from having coworkers move to other offices. You'd have a strong professional network. Adams doesn't have that.

I also think there is a bit of understanding that when you have a rebuilding team, helping teams by retaining salaries or taking on salary dumps is a unsaid quid pro quo so when you are a good team, you have a good relationship with the other GMs. Adams also did not participate with that. Nobody owes him any favors

So, he's essentially been 'isolationist' as a GM. So it's not surprising that he is having problems now that he suddenly wants to be part of a marketplace he's mostly ignored and has no relationships in. When he was selling, teams wanted to buy, so things were easy. Now that he's buying, he's competing against other teams that have established relationships and he is offering up what everyone else is, picks and prospects.

He's being given the outsider price and he wants the insider price without doing the things to get the insider price. You can hear the frustration when he talks about the trade market. He feels like teams are trying to screw him over. And they are. And even if they are giving him fair value, he doesn't have anyone he trusts that he can call to see if the price he's getting is fair.

Unfortunately, its likely that Adams tenure is going to serve as a cautionary tale. Being a GM is more than just about understanding hockey. Its about knowing how to build a team, knowing how to address needs, and understanding that you need strong personal/business relationships with 31 other organizations so you can address needs when you have them.

Bringing in an outsider with no support system is going to be a rough go, even if he's the most competent hockey mind ever. And I think Adams has shown he's not that.

GM’s across the league are still going to take the best offer regardless. You can’t convince me otherwise. It would be silly not to.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone have any interest in Ken Holland as an advisor or PoHO?

I know he’s been a mixed bag as GM but he does seem to know how to make the playoffs, and there’s no denying how well respected he is in NHL circles. Just read all the quotes from other GMs when he left Edmonton. And they all say he’s one of the best people they’ve ever met, so he definitely fits the character requirements Pegula has.

I just feel like he would bring some instant credibility to Buffalo, and a ton of good working relationships with NHL front offices across the league (which might be something we need…)

Ken Holland exclusive: Why now was the time to step away from the Oilers and what comes next

He’s about as well-liked a GM among his colleagues as there is in the NHL.

“Kenny, without question, is one of the most successful and respected general managers ever,” New York Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello said. “He is not only an outstanding hockey man but a better person. I cherish his friendship. He deserves any and all accolades.”

Added St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong:

“I am not sure what the future holds for Ken, but he has been the most successful manager over the last three decades; what is more impressive than the wins is how he has gone about it. Ken is the most respected and well-liked GM among his peers.”

And finally, from the Columbus Blues Jackets’ Don Waddell:

“Kenny is one of the most respected GMs in the NHL. His knowledge and passion is what has made him a winner for decades. As good of a GM as he is, he is even a better person.”

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Gee the offense regressed big time last season and now we are down a top 6 center and a 25 goal scorer from that offense. Yikes. After we sign some lame ass bums in free agency we can bumble our way to 9th after stumbling out the gate and making a heroic run in March and April to 1 point out of the playoffs (solely due to Ruff behind the bench not the talent on the ice )

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Anyone have any interest in Ken Holland as an advisor or PoHO?

I know he’s been a mixed bag as GM but he does seem to know how to make the playoffs, and there’s no denying how well respected he is in NHL circles. Just read all the quotes from other GMs when he left Edmonton. And they all say he’s one of the best people they’ve ever met, so he definitely fits the character requirements Pegula has.

I just feel like he would bring some instant credibility to Buffalo, and a ton of good working relationships with NHL front offices across the league (which might be something we need…)

Ken Holland exclusive: Why now was the time to step away from the Oilers and what comes next
Unless Buffalo changes it's management structure, anyone new will just be another cook in the kitchen.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not taking sides on this issue, but there was Armstrong being indignant by taking the lesser offer for Chychrun 15 months ago.

And I’m not saying Kevyn Adams isn’t impossible to deal with. He may be. But it I’m an NHL GM and I see a 716 area code come up on my caller ID, I’m at least taking the call to see what he has to say or offer. 100% of the time. I don’t believe for one second that NHL GM’s won’t deal with Adams. However I can definitely see where Adams may be a low-baller.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The last bit is why other GM's aren't circling back to him: he's a waste of their time and difficult to deal with. KA is literally Garth Snow (who was infamous for not making any move unless he was 100% sure he won big) but biggest failure of an owner in hockey history decided to hire an unqualified crony to be our GM and here we are...
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think thats an issue. Adams has said he’s looking for bottom 6 forwards and depth dmen (#7-10). Those players are far less likely to have NTC/NMC.

If it’s true he is also looking for a top 6 winger. Thats where it may become an issue. But even there he has options. He may not be able to land a vet in their late 20s/early 30s. But young vets in the mid 20s (24-26) are an option since they’re not likely to have a NMC/NTC yet. Need to be 27yrs of age or have 7 NHL seasons before getting them. It’s why Power and Cozens NTCs (5 team) don’t kick in until the 5th year of their deals.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And I’m not saying Kevyn Adams is impossible to deal. He may be. But it I’m an NHL GM and I see a 716 area code come up on my caller ID, I’m at least taking the call to see what he has to say or offer. 100% of the time. I don’t believe for one second that NHL GM’s won’t deal with Adams. However I can definitely see where Adams may be a low-baller.
Could also be the other way around. Veteran GMs continue to treat Adams like a sucker.

I could fully believe WPG asking for a 1st + Savoie/Kulich + for Ehlers with no extension, which is insane.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Reactions: Dubi Doo and Fjordy

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Damn. That’ll be a nice addition for Tampa bay (assuming they get him signed, which seems likely).

Seems even more likely now that Stamkos isn’t coming back. I’d be thrilled if Buffalo could sign him. I know he’s getting old but he can still perform and is a true leader (something Buffalo needs IMO).

Tampa has a lot of cap space right now. Guentzel at market value and then Stammer at something around 6M could work.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think thats an issue. Adams has said he’s looking for bottom 6 forwards and depth dmen (#7-10). Those players are far less likely to have NTC/NMC.

If it’s true he is also looking for a top 6 winger. Thats where it may become an issue. But even there he has options. He may not be able to land a vet in their late 20s/early 30s. But young vets in the mid 20s (24-26) are an option since they’re not likely to have a NMC/NTC yet. Need to be 27yrs of age or have 7 NHL seasons before getting them. It’s why Power and Cozens NTCs (5 team) don’t kick in until the 5th year of their deals.
I don't like that I don't hear anything from Adams about 3C, like they just gave Krebs the place in advance. It looks like Botterill 2.0

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Damn. That’ll be a nice addition for Tampa bay (assuming they get him signed, which seems likely).

Seems even more likely now that Stamkos isn’t coming back. I’d be thrilled if Buffalo could sign him. I know he’s getting old but he can still perform and is a true leader (something Buffalo needs IMO).
I know his defense has come a long way, but do we trust him at C? Is he still strong enough defensively, or would he be our need at top-6 wing? I had him penciled in on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad