The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Adams roster bullet points from post 1st round:

We were very aggressive, there weren't trades available for players to get other teams to make

No trade for players the entire night happened

We put together strong offers in the afternoon for picks/prospects/package, then around draft time realized teams were no going to make deals for players

There will be things that continue into tonight and ongoing conversations, but it takes two to make a trade

Teams checked in on Sabres prospects, they focused for other prospects (me: McGroaty perhaps ?) or draft picks in return not players

Open to moving a prospect two, and has made a push, but willingness on other sides not there

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Adams roster bullet points from post 1st round:

We were very aggressive, there weren't trades available for players to get other teams to make

No trade for players the entire night happened

We put together strong offers in the afternoon for picks/prospects/package, then around draft time realized teams were no going to make deals for players

There will be things that continue into tonight and ongoing conversations, but it takes two to make a trade

Teams checked in on Sabres prospects, they focused for other prospects (me: McGroaty perhaps ?) or draft picks in return not players

Open to moving a prospect two, and has made a push, but willingness on other sides not there
Texier for a 4th was a steal. Other trades out there just Adams is refusing to pay the price.

This has been the problem with Adams since he got here. He wont pay the price to improve this team.

To be honest I don't really believe Adams. Trades can be made if you are willing to pay.

If Adams is never willing to go out and get the guys this team needs to win then we will just be a farm club for Stanley Cup teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BFLO

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hopefully tomorrow send Joker to Utah and get Marino from NJ.
I won't be shocked if NJ waits to sign Pesce before trading Marino.

They are not in a great place if they trade Marino and Pesce signs elsewhere.

Texier for a 4th was a steal. Other trades out there just Adams is refusing to pay the price.

This has been the problem with Adams since he got here. He wont pay the price to improve this team.

To be honest I don't really believe Adams. Trades can be made if you are willing to pay.

If Adams is never willing to go out and get the guys this team needs to win then we will just be a farm club for Stanley Cup teams.

Adams isn't the only GM talking about the lack of interest in moving NHLers today.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I won't be shocked if NJ waits to sign Pesce before trading Marino.

They are not in a great place if they trade Marino and Pesce signs elsewhere.

Adams isn't the only GM talking about the lack of interest in moving NHLers today.
Sounds like Adams is lying then. If you believe this.

Adams said he was aggressive and trying to make trades but then reports say things were quiet.

So Adams is a liar. Just like I said.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Adams talked about how no NHLers have been traded since the Texier deal and that there wasn't a huge appetite to move NHLers.

Calgary didn't want to move NHLers. Staois mentioned not a lot of chatter, presumably for NHLers since pick deals happened.

But, go on...

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Adams talked about how no NHLers have been traded since the Texier deal and that there wasn't a huge appetite to move NHLers.

Calgary didn't want to move NHLers. Staois mentioned not a lot of chatter, presumably for NHLers since pick deals happened.

But, go on...
According to Adams he had tabled trades but then you post reports that it was quiet. You can't have it both ways bud.

You cant be aggressive and tabling trades and then post quotes that it was quiet and give Adams a free pass.

Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Are you gonna give Adams a free pass when its the same team going into this season? At some point you have to stop overvaluing your picks and prospects and make a trade to improve the team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
According to Adams he had tabled trades but then you post reports that it was quiet. You can't have it both ways bud.

You cant be aggressive and tabling trades and then post quotes that it was quiet and give Adams a free pass.

Calgary had talks and ultimately decided that they didn't want to move NHLers.

Keep acting like there were all these moves around the league and Adams was the only GM to not add an impact top 6 NHL F today...

Reactions: Dingo44

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Calgary had talks and ultimately decided that they didn't want to move NHLers.

Keep acting like there were all these moves around the league and Adams was the only GM to not add an impact top 6 NHL F today...
Lets see....Texier traded, Mangiapane traded, Markstrom traded, Ullmark traded, Walman traded, Dubios traded
McGroaty available, Marino available, Ehlers available, Necas available, Ekblad available, Churchryn available, Kadri available, Laine is available.

I mean trades are happening, players are available.

Thats just a quick list I threw together and I am sure there is another 20 guys out there available.

If Adams is willing to pay the price he can improve the team.

Dont give me some crap that Adams is helpless cause no one wants to play with him.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I don't need the roster to be finished between rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.

I will be deeply skeptical if it doesn't look good by July 3rd, as I always am, because it never does

I always assumed 11 OA was the least likely thing in our pool of higher-end assets to be desired by other teams in player trades, so I was never going to be bothered by making this selection. I just want to go on vacation July 4th feeling optimistic with what has transpired

Reactions: HaNotsri

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Lets see....Texier traded, Mangiapane traded, Markstrom traded, Ullmark traded, Walman traded, Dubios traded
McGroaty available, Marino available, Ehlers available, Necas available, Ekblad available, Churchryn avaiable, Kadri available

Thats just a quick list I threw together and I am sure there is another 20 guys out there available.

Dont give me some crap that Adams is helpless cause no one wants to play with him.
Im sure you would have been ok with Adams trading #14 for Marino?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Im sure you would have been ok with Adams trading #14 for Marino?
Why is that what you wanted to do?

I am sure you would be ok icing the same team next year and give Adams another free pass. What will it be, year 5 next year and 14 years of not making the playoffs?

See its easy to pretend what the other guy thinks.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
No, but if he had offered that or NJ wanted that in return and he made that trade people would have been losing their minds, but if hes willing to pay the price to improve the team then it should be fine.
Or we can pretend That Adams is trying hard and we can all feel sorry for Adams when he signs fringe NHL players that no one wants and say awww shucks maybe next year.

Gotta do it man, gotta improve the team or you getting fired or maybe Adams for life?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
McGroaty available, Marino available, Ehlers available, Necas available, Ekblad available, Churchryn available, Kadri available, Laine is available.

Your list of "available players" is longer than guys that actually moved so far.

And of the players that have moved, who fit what the Sabres are looking to add?

Mangiapane is the closest thing to the top 6 winger the Sabres are reportedly looking to add. And given his M-NTC, he may not have been an option for the Sabres.

Given all the future picks that have moved for NHLers so far, my guess is that GMs didn't value 2024 1sts all that highly.

:dunno:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Your list of "available players" is longer than guys that actually moved so far.

And of the players that have moved, who fit what the Sabres are looking to add?

Mangiapane is the closest thing to the top 6 winger the Sabres are reportedly looking to add. And given his M-NTC, he may not have been an option for the Sabres.

Given all the future picks that have moved for NHLers so far, my guess is that GMs didn't value 2024 1sts all that highly.

:dunno:
So then are you an Adams for life guy or what?

I just don't get sabres fans. 13 years of missed playoffs, 4 years of Adams GMing and people are still giving this organization a free pass.

Also what you wrote is just not true. Buffalo is rumored to be in on Ehlers, McGroaty and Necas. Adams can close the deal or what?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

Adams said he was aggressive and trying to make trades but then reports say things were quiet.

So Adams is a liar. Just like I said.

He likely isn't lying

If one GM is jumping around trying to make a deal and no one joins him; that would mean the NHL was quiet while our GM was being aggressive.

If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound? Yes, but will you actually hear it amongst the many trees surrounding it?

If Buffalo never called Vegas for instance, why would their GM care to mention that Adams was seeking roster players for picks?

Hell our team at times is a good example of this; the Sabres are considered a soft team but that doesn't automatically mean that every player to a name is soft. There are 32 GMs, if 5 were active and 27 weren't; that would be a quiet day. And depending on who else was potentially active, has a major impact on if it mattered to us.

If there were 5 buyers, guess what, nothing will happen

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He likely isn't lying

If one GM is jumping around trying to make a deal and no one joins him; that would mean the NHL was quiet while our GM was being aggressive.

If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound? Yes, but will you actually hear it amongst the many trees surrounding it?

If Buffalo never called Vegas for instance, why would their GM care to mention that Adams was seeking roster players for picks?

Hell our team at times is a good example of this; the Sabres are considered a soft team but that doesn't automatically mean that every player to a name is soft. There are 32 GMs, if 5 were active and 27 weren't; that would be a quiet day. And depending on who else was potentially active, has a major impact on if it mattered to us.

If there were 5 buyers, guess what, nothing will happen
So you giving Adams a free pass too?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So then are you an Adams for life guy or what?

I just don't get sabres fans. 13 years of missed playoffs, 4 years of Adams GMing and people are still giving this organization a free pass.

Also what you wrote is just not true. Buffalo is rumored to be in on Ehlers, McGroaty and Necas. Adams can close the deal or what?

So you giving Adams a free pass too?

I'm giving him time, I'm not going to crucify him for inaction if literally nothing happens relevant to us around the league.

The goalie trades have no relation to our team; we weren't looking for one.

So far the only skaters traded of any relevance have been Texier who really wasn't interesting, Mangiapane who probably had us on his NTC.

Other skaters like the cap dump in Mikheyev, Dubois and the very odd trade with Walman weren't of any interest to us anyway.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Are you gonna give Adams a free pass when its the same team going into this season? At some point you have to stop overvaluing your picks and prospects and make a trade to improve the team.
When was the last time any trades not involving a draft pick occurred during first RD?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I'm giving him time, I'm not going to crucify him for inaction if literally nothing happens relevant to us around the league.

The goalie trades have no relation to our team; we weren't looking for one.

So far the only skaters traded of any relevance have been Texier who really wasn't interesting, Mangiapane who probably had us on his NTC.

Other skaters like the cap dump in Mikheyev, Dubois and the very odd trade with Walman weren't of any interest to us anyway.
No players are available so we should resign Girgensons and see if Okposo wants another year?

Hey maybe we should resign Clague? Check! Next up Tyson Jost.

Lets ice the same team as last year and when it comes time to fire Adams we should all ask for him to stay another year because no players were available.

What should year 5 of Adams plan look like next year? Hey no players available for 5 years so he shouldn't be fired.

When was the last time any trades not involving a draft pick occurred during first RD?
You mean Adams had only this moment, only today to improve the team and lets ignore the other 4 years of his tenure?

Its insane how many people pretend Adams isn't a trainwreck.

Maybe next year he will get it done. Oh lets wait until July 1st cause I am sure Adams will convince more fringe NHLers to come here.

Adams has already proved he is incapable of attracting real NHL players to play here.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
No players are available so we should resign Girgensons and see if Okposo wants another year?

Lets ice the same team as last year and when it comes time to fire Adams we should all ask for him to stay another year because no players were available.

What should year 5 of Adams plan look like next year? Hey no players available for 5 years so he shouldn't be fired.

You mean Adams had only this moment, only today to improve the team and lets ignore the other 4 years of his tenure?

Now your literally ranting incoherently

If Ehlers doesn't want an extension that isn't on Adams, nor is it for him to magically get another GM to take any deal if they don't want to. Likewise Adams shouldn't be expected to trade $10 to get $2 because he has to make A move.

If he fails to bring in players and everyone else is moving and grooving its an indictment against him; but until there's actual activity how can he do anything? I don't want him to trade Kulich and Savoie to Philly for Laughton because that was what Philly demanded to move a player.

Have you never heard of "selling" something in name only. If I have something I want to keep but has to be marketed, I'll just make the price ridiculously high and thus I can claim a player is available but in reality he really isn't.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Maybe next year he will get it done. Oh lets wait until July 1st cause I am sure Adams will convince more fringe NHLers to come here.

Adams has already proved he is incapable of attracting real NHL players to play here.
I am waiting till tomorrow morning. If we don’t trade at least one of those 2nd round picks for something decent it is a travesty.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Now your literally ranting incoherently

If Ehlers doesn't want an extension that isn't on Adams, nor is it for him to magically get another GM to take any deal if they don't want to. Likewise Adams shouldn't be expected to trade $10 to get $2 because he has to make A move.

If he fails to bring in players and everyone else is moving and grooving its an indictment against him; but until there's actual activity how can he do anything? I don't want him to trade Kulich and Savoie to Philly for Laughton because that was what Philly demanded to move a player.

Have you never heard of "selling" something in name only. If I have something I want to keep but has to be marketed, I'll just make the price ridiculously high and thus I can claim a player is available but in reality he really isn't.
So personal attack? How do you know how to respond to me if I am ranting incoherently?
Why is Adams targeting a player and wasting his time on a player that doesn't want to resign here?
I am waiting till tomorrow morning. If we don’t trade at least one of those 2nd round picks for something decent it is a travesty.
We missed the playoffs last year by 1 point.

What was the deadline acquisition to push this team into the playoffs? Riley Stillman.

People still think Adams can get the job done.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad