The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
There may be a legitimate excuse about UFAs not playing in Buffalo, or otherwise attracting players to Buffalo. Who would choose to play under what appears to be a clown show management team?

If so, then draft or trade for the young players that don't have such convictions yet, and just want to get out from where they are...like McGroarty. If they won't sign in Buffalo, get them early and FFS...keep them until they fully develop and contribute.
Most of the players in the NHL do not have no-trade-lists I'm pretty sure. Just do the work and trade for guys who can't help it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sure, but Skinner is a good case of getting that guy by trade, then having to pay big to keep him. Trade for guys that have many years of team control vs guys with just a few.

Or sign guys out of those not qualified or UDFA who give good ELC value before turning into the Joel Ward/Sean Bergenheim/Blake Coleman/Barclay Goodrow contracts of the world.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
How do you know anyone even likes the bevy of small wingers that we have available to trade? No one really seems to have a need for a Kulich or Savoie....I'm not sure they have the value that you think they do.
Okay Doug. I didn't mention a single name. Seems like you are down on our winger prospects and just wanted to use my post as an avenue to express your frustration.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
McGroarty was a 14th overall pick...
1) Prospects lose value after being drafted unless they explode, which McGroarty hasn’t.
2) McGroarty can just wait 2 years and go UFA. At which point, Winnipeg would get the last pick in the 2nd round as a compensatory.
2 2nds is too much, but one 2nd isn’t enough. Need a sweetener.

Also, Sabres shouldn’t be chasing McGroarty. Need guys 23-27.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
1) Prospects lose value after being drafted unless they explode, which McGroarty hasn’t.
2) McGroarty can just wait 2 years and go UFA. At which point, Winnipeg would get the last pick in the 2nd round as a compensatory.

I much look forward to trading for him followed by a relentless thread about how he wont sign with us and will wait to go UFA.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

I was just saying lol

As a thought experiment, what's fair value for Ehlers+McGroarty? I could see WPG asking for Peterka + 14th overall.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Okay Doug. I didn't mention a single name. Seems like you are down on our winger prospects and just wanted to use my post as an avenue to express your frustration.
Well you need to trade something -- which assets were you referring to? All of our top assets are wingers, so I assumed you meant them. Do you think teams are begging for Strbak?

You're sitting there insulting Adams for not making a trade, without even knowing if there's anything other teams even want from us. Unless you're suggesting we trade Power? What are you even suggesting he trade, if not the many wingers in our prospect pool?

Most teams aren't even actively looking for prospects if they aren't in a full rebuild, and there's only like 2 teams doing that. But go ahead and stomp your feet if it makes you feel better.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well you need to trade something -- which assets were you referring to? All of our top assets are wingers, so I assumed you meant them. Do you think teams are begging for Strbak?

You're sitting there insulting Adams for not making a trade, without even knowing if there's anything other teams even want from us. Unless you're suggesting we trade Power? What are you even suggesting he trade, if not the many wingers in our prospect pool?

Most teams aren't even actively looking for prospects if they aren't in a full rebuild, and there's only like 2 teams doing that. But go ahead and stomp your feet if it makes you feel better.
The problem is that Adams (through his blunders and mistakes) painted himself into the corner he needs to get out of. He is in that position because of his mistakes so him going "there's nothing I could do" isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007

What are you the board authoritarian that has to grill anyone who doesn't have faith in KA to make this into a playoff roster next season? Pretty defensive of you to come at me this hard for saying I don't have faith in Adams on turning the Sabres into a playoff roser.

They Sabres have tons of pieces to trade to get vet players. If you think that under 6' forwards don't have value, that is fine but I do not agree with that. I think assuming guys like Savoie and Kulich wouldn't have real value in a package with a 1st and/or other picks and prospects, which is typically the type of package that lands a top 6 vet forward.

If Adams doesn't get some significant moves done then he has failed. If he doesn't get moves done because nobody wants any of the guys he has drafted in the first and second rounds over the last 3 years then what exactly are you defending?

My opinion on Adams comes from the last 3 years of moves. It seems odd to me that you are trying to portray this as me having a tamper tantrum or "stomping my feet." There have been plenty of negative opinions about Adams on this board recently. Go attack someone else.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The problem is that Adams (through his blunders and mistakes) painted himself into the corner he needs to get out of. He is in that position because of his mistakes so him going "there's nothing I could do" isn't going to cut it.
Agreed, the damage was done the last two offseasons. Painted himself into a corner is exactly right. That's what he deserves criticism for. If he's even the one making most of these decisions.

Reactions: sabremike

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He’s been good, but he hast wildly outperformed his draft status. Think, Wyatt Johnston or Kiril Kaprisov. It would be ludicrous to trade the 14th OA pick for last year’s 14th OA pick in 99.9% of cases.
Depends on how you rate McGroarty. Not that I'm holding on to 14, but we also have prospects and players on the trade roster.

When is the draft ? Friday ?
2342342.png

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
McGroarty was a 14th overall pick...
Someone made the comparison that when you buy a new car and drive it off the lot, it immediately depreciates. This is a lot like players drafted. He hasn't rose above his #14 overall status, he's not signed so you are acquiring the guys rights. You could probably offer the Jets and 2024 2nd and 2025 4th and get the deal done.

His rights aren't worth a 1st or 2 2nds. It's also not a good look for players already in our system further ahead in their development then he is to gift him a spot on the roster when he's proved nothing at the professional level. Even the AHL is tiers above the NCAA.

I think he needs to get in line and his attitude sucks. I'm tired of these NCAA players demanding to play in the NHL and have a year burned off their contracts.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
So with the trade back, it's looking like the Necas dream (FWIW) is now dead?

No sleep will be lost here.

Which good bottom-sixers can be picked up with our two shiny 2nds?

Reactions: Sabresbyswords104

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What are you the board authoritarian that has to grill anyone who doesn't have faith in KA to make this into a playoff roster next season? Pretty defensive of you to come at me this hard for saying I don't have faith in Adams on turning the Sabres into a playoff roser.

They Sabres have tons of pieces to trade to get vet players. If you think that under 6' forwards don't have value, that is fine but I do not agree with that. I think assuming guys like Savoie and Kulich wouldn't have real value in a package with a 1st and/or other picks and prospects, which is typically the type of package that lands a top 6 vet forward.

If Adams doesn't get some significant moves done then he has failed. If he doesn't get moves done because nobody wants any of the guys he has drafted in the first and second rounds over the last 3 years then what exactly are you defending?

My opinion on Adams comes from the last 3 years of moves. It seems odd to me that you are trying to portray this as me having a tamper tantrum or "stomping my feet." There have been plenty of negative opinions about Adams on this board recently. Go attack someone else.
Apologies if I came across harshly. We probably mostly agree on all of this. I just don't like the "Adams is scared" conclusion since I don't see any proof of that, and he also has plenty of time still. I also think that what we have to bring to the trade table is overblown and overvalued.

I prefer the "Adams sucks at roster construction" angle :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad